Hm turning a sphere inside out what's the point?

Wow, I've never been in the presence of people that joke about winning fields medals.

are you serious dude? did you seriously try to steal my joke?

Actually you stole the joke from me, I came up with the joke in the late spring of 1976. I first used it over a letter correspondence between myself, and a German Mathematician named Kir Yeltsa.

I soon after patented the the joke with the US Government (Patent http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU"

Please cease all use of this joke from here on forward.

And we should lock this thread since it got way off topic, and there is very little math.

Last edited by a moderator:
The mathematics developed to prove the theorem will spur more ideas, more theorems, and then more mathematics still. Some results obtained in the process will have applications.

Alfi
I am just starting to study/understand topology.

Don't burst my bubble of interest. Please! Invert it ... ok :)

And we should lock this thread since it got way off topic, and there is very little math.
That's so limiting. Where is your sense of humour?
oH YA mATH has NO humour, so it is of no use.

I find it very, very interesting. I want to learn more.

The mathematics developed to prove the theorem will spur more ideas, more theorems, and then more mathematics still. Some results obtained in the process will have applications.
agree - thanks

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
apparently "turning a sphere inside out" means this: if f:S-->R^3 is the inclusiion map of the sphere, and g:S-->R^3 equals -f, there is a continuous map H:SxI-->R^3,

such that for every t in I, the restriction of H to Sx{t} has injective derivative, and

when t=0 this restriction equals f, and when t=1 this restriction equals g.

'in particular nobody is actually turning anything solid inside out.