What is the most variable magnitude surrounding us?

• Thread starter deda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, value is a subjective and relative measure of an element's effect on an individual or group of individuals. It is often viewed as absolute, but is in fact dependent on the context and relationship between the element and the subject. Value can be defined as the measure of an element's efficiency in a relationship and is constantly changing in different situations. The value of value itself is similar to the value of time, entirely relative to one's position in relation to the changes that comprise existence. However, value is ultimately a concept that can only be fully understood and experienced by sentient beings, making it impossible for non-sentient objects to truly
deda
Among all those magnitudes surrounding us value is the most variable one!

Physics news on Phys.org
Value is subjective, by the way. An object's value is only defined in the context of a specific subject. You speak of value as though it's absolute.

vertigo said:
Value is subjective, by the way. An object's value is only defined in the context of a specific subject. You speak of value as though it's absolute.

True enough, however value is relative in the strictest sense of the word.

There is great value in oil to a car that runs on gasoline. However, a car that runs on electricity renders the value of the oil null and void in that relationship.

The value of gravity is widely accepted by those of us who want to remain on the planet, yet, gravity is a value to be negated for the engineers calculating the liftoff of the latest telecommunications satellite.

So, value is purely relative in relationships that exist within and beyond human concerns. And value is subjective when it is looked at solely from a human perspective.

Value could be defined as the measure of an element's efficiency in a relationship.
eg: If being polite at the grocery checkout stand gets you a smile and an extra discount every two weeks

then the value of being polite becomes a higher value in that it has proven to be useful to your well being (getting a smile) and your bank account (friendly 10% discount for polite customers)

The value of being polite with no expectation of reward, limitless. :smile:

Experiences always have value. Period.

Dissident Dan said:
Experiences always have value. Period.

I think you're right, Dissident Dan.

What is value? If someone posts a dictionary definition of value it may help to guide a discussion that looks further into the "value" of value. :confused:

Here are some:

"a numerical quantity measured or assigned or computed; "the value assigned was 16 milliseconds"
www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn[/URL]

the quality (positive or negative) that renders something desirable or valuable; "the Shakespearean Shylock is of dubious value in the modern world"
[PLAIN]www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn[/URL]

the amount (of money or goods or services) that is considered to be a fair equivalent for something else; "he tried to estimate the value of the produce at normal prices"

relative darkness or lightness of a color; "I establish the colors and principal values by organizing the painting into three values--dark, medium...and light"-Joe Hing Lowe

(music) the relative duration of a musical note

an ideal accepted by some individual or group; "he has old-fashioned values"

fix or determine the value of; assign a value to; "value the jewelry and art work in the estate"
www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn"

Last edited by a moderator:
If one assigns value to the experience of value, it is valuable.

Ned Shandelerious

p-brane said:
If one assigns value to the experience of value, it is valuable.

Ned Shandelerious

What the hell?

Dissident Dan said:
What the hell?

Please feel free to clarify your remark.

p-brane said:
Please feel free to clarify your remark.

Haha. Actually, that's what I was looking for out of you. What is "the experience of value", as opposed to just experience? And if you are experiencing already of value, why would the experience require someone to assign value to it to be valuable, when there is already value there?

Dissident Dan said:
Haha. Actually, that's what I was looking for out of you. What is "the experience of value", as opposed to just experience? And if you are experiencing already of value, why would the experience require someone to assign value to it to be valuable, when there is already value there?

Ha ha. (Is the value "there" or in the individual's head?)

My original question is "what is the value of value".

What is the function of value?

Are you proposing an infinite regression of value?

My proposition is that experience is itself valuable. This is not something that can be proven through sentences. A computer will never know the value of experience. One must have an experience to know the qualities of it. There is intrinsic goodness and/or badness in experiences that we can know by having experiences.

I was asking p-brane. It's hard to see any validity in asking what the value of value is, because you can then simply ask what the value is of each new level of value, ad infinitum.

I agree with you, by the way.

Which computers can experience

Dissident Dan said:
My proposition is that experience is itself valuable. This is not something that can be proven through sentences. A computer will never know the value of experience.
You are not a computer?

loseyourname said:
I was asking p-brane. It's hard to see any validity in asking what the value of value is, because you can then simply ask what the value is of each new level of value, ad infinitum.

I agree with you, by the way.

Although I am not proposing anything when I ask a question... I do have an answer in mind. I'm hoping someone else's answer can verify, nulify or otherwise clarify my understanding of the answer I have to "what is the value of value?".

In short I'd say that value is another anthropomorphic measurement of a benefit or a detriment that an element has on an individual or group of individuals. In shorter terms it is the measurment of the effect that a condition or action has on humans, be it an effect created by humans or by their environment.

Value is the result of an observation that observes the benefits and/or other effects of certain conditions on humans.

The value of value is akin to the value of time in that the values of both are entirely relative to one's position in relation to the changes that comprise existence.

hitssquad said:
You are not a computer?

By computer, I meant a silicon-based calculator.

In some senses, I am a computer, although not a very good one. There is something more to animal existence--sentience. I don't think that sentience could ever be explained to a nonsentient object. In fact, the whole idea of "understanding" doesn't have any meaning to me except in the context of sentient beings. Even without worrying about what constitutes understanding, a nonsentient object, such as a Terminator, could only operate with the data that emotions are some biological states that result in behavior--it could not have the data of what the emotion really is.

Dissident Dan said:
In fact, the whole idea of "understanding" doesn't have any meaning to me except in the context of sentient beings. Even without worrying about what constitutes understanding, a nonsentient object, such as a Terminator, could only operate with the data that emotions are some biological states that result in behavior--it could not have the data of what the emotion really is.

What "really is" emotion other than "some biological states" Dan?

Subjective states. I cannot explain it in words, which is related to the fact that the Terminator cannot understand it. You can only know of experience by experiencing.

Dissident Dan said:
Subjective states. I cannot explain it in words,

Really?

which is related to the fact that the Terminator cannot understand it. .

What the f is a termitator? Is it a potato that terminates after one season?

You can only know of experience by experiencing

Knowing is an experience too. Therefore one must be able to experience knowing to experience experience, is that what you're saying?

Do you have to know you're experiencing knowing to know you're experiencing?

p-brane said:
What the f is a termitator? Is it a potato that terminates after one season?

There is a series of Terminator movies staring Arnold Schwarzenegger. He plays robot that mimics the appearance of a human (among doing other things, such as being an assassin).

Knowing is an experience too. Therefore one must be able to experience knowing to experience experience, is that what you're saying?

Well, a current state of one's consciousness is necessary for experience. That data of that state can be considered in one's realm of knowledge, at least for the current moment, even if the entity in question has no memory.

Anyway, by using the word "knowing", I merely meant possessing data, which is not necessarily an experience. The phrase "experience experience" seems nonsensical to me.

I see.

Discussing experience and Arnold in the "Hm, Value" thread seems non-popcycle to me.

Hasta Luego.

1. What is the most variable magnitude surrounding us?

The most variable magnitude surrounding us is the weather. This includes changes in temperature, precipitation, wind speed, and atmospheric pressure.

2. How does the variability in weather affect our daily lives?

The variability in weather can greatly impact our daily lives. It can affect our ability to travel, our outdoor activities, and even our health. Extreme weather events such as hurricanes, tornadoes, and heat waves can also have a significant impact on our communities and economy.

3. Are there other factors that contribute to variability in our surroundings?

Yes, there are many other factors that contribute to variability in our surroundings. These can include natural phenomena such as earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, and ocean currents, as well as human activities such as land use changes and pollution.

4. How do scientists measure and track variability in our surroundings?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to measure and track variability in our surroundings. These can include weather stations, satellites, and sensors that collect data on different environmental parameters. Scientists also use computer models to analyze and predict changes in our surroundings over time.

5. Can changes in variability have long-term effects on our environment?

Yes, changes in variability can have long-term effects on our environment. For example, a prolonged period of drought can lead to desertification and loss of biodiversity. Changes in ocean currents can also have far-reaching effects on weather patterns and marine ecosystems. It is important for scientists to monitor and study variability in order to better understand its potential impacts on our environment.