1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hmm, I know in a vacuum that with projectile motion

1. May 10, 2005 #1
    shooting the projectile at 45 degrees will yield the greatest distance, and 30 and 60 degrees should go the same distance, but if you add in an air-friction force of -kv^2 (where k is .05 and v is the instant speed)is it possible for that to be otherwise?

'cuz the program I just wrote says it is, and I'm thinking I might've screwed up the program. If that's the case, anyone here good at FORTRAN?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2005 #2

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There's no reason to suppose that, with air resistance, a projectile fired at 30 or 60 degrees will go the same distance.
  4. May 11, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

or that one fired at 45 degrees will have the greatest distance.

I used to know some FORTRAN, but even that has probably changed since I last did any. How are you approaching the problem?
  5. May 11, 2005 #4
    If you assume a uniform air field then the magnitudes of a 30 and 60 degree launch will decrease the same.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?