1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hmm phase constant

1. Nov 8, 2009 #1
    I have no question in particular I need help solving but would just like to understand what the heck is a phase constant? I keep on reading different things in Wikipedia, my textbook, Cramster... I'm just not quite sure what it is exactly and how to find it in a SHM problem. I read in my textbook that it has to do with the velocity at a specified time and the position of the particle or object at that time. I'm shown in an example problem to find φ I have to solve v(0)/x(0), but why... is not clear to me. Would appreciate help understanding this seemingly elusive constant.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

The general expression of SHM is x = A*sin(ωt + φ). The starting point of the particle which executes SHM, from the mean position may any where between 0 to A. The angular position of this starting point is called the phase. You can find this angle by putting t = 0 in the equation of SHM.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook