Can the human brain decipher jumbled words?

• Thread starter Ian Rumsey
  • Start date
In summary: Sorry about that.If you mean 3 letter words, like "three", then yes. If numerical form is acceptable, then 1-1009, 1110-1119 1220-1229 etc...
Ian Rumsey
Aoccdrnig to a rsceheearr at Cmabigrde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can siltl raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Qoitseun: Waht nebrums riamen ulerentad?

Physics news on Phys.org
do you mean the numbers like: 122225, 733339, 26, 52, 72221?

http://weblogs.asp.net/rosherove/archive/2003/09/14/27471.aspx this trick doesn't work if any of the letters quits its syllable... that's why your question is hardly readable :) (however as far as i understand that was your intention!)

Last edited by a moderator:
hemmul said:
that's why your question is hardly readable

The wrod "qotsuein" is eialsy usatndnredblae. Heoevwr "ulerentad" is a ltlite bit dcflfiuit.
:-)

Question: what numbers are ? unrelated

I do not get that word with the R in it? Riemen? Ramien?

I am also guessing that last word is unrelated, but that does not make much sense; however, it may be due to the fact that I do not know what the R word is.

Question:
What numbers remain unaltered?

one two six ten

arildno said:
Question:
What numbers remain unaltered?
Now that sounds and looks correct right there. :smile:

No, I'd call that the question.

The best answer is 1, 2, 6, 10
Need to convert them to words of course.

Gleemtenn; one, two, six, ten,-yes, but I feel three is one mroe.

there are many more if you aren't going to break syllables.

I understood the question, but I don't understand your answers. What ABOUT 1,2, 6, and 10? In what sense do they remain unaltered? Under what kind of transformation. In other words, what the hell are you talking about? :biggrin:

They must have only syllable.The theory of changing letters among sylables does not apply to them.But there are are digits whose names have one sylable,2,which could mean this is not the explanation.

Wried.*no emoticon,so it's possible*...

Daniel.

I think what he's saying is that the transformation is:

First and last letter stay the same, but middle letters can be scrambled randomly. Which numbers are unaltered?

I believe this is also used as a method to write faster. Whn yr ritng u dnt nd to use all the ltrs to mke urslf clr. U cn uslly leav out som vowls nd peple stl undrstnd wht ur syin.
Even if others can't understand what your saying at least you can read it yourself, and it is faster to write. ( in theory, with practice)

Last edited:
cepheid said:
I understood the question, but I don't understand your answers. What ABOUT 1,2, 6, and 10? In what sense do they remain unaltered? Under what kind of transformation. In other words, what the hell are you talking about? :biggrin:
cepheid
Take anyone of the words: one two six or ten
Now holding the first and last letters in place rearrange the letter(s) in the word and alter it as much as you can.
It remains unaltered.

You will have more success with altering the word three - - trhee

Can you find any other "numbers" that remain unaltered?

How about a mol?

Bartholomew said:
How about a mol?
If you mean the abbreviation for the number 'mole' - then I'd use the real word altered to "mloe"
As the term for molecular weight it is not a number

Random guess:

Pi? e? Root two/six/ten?

xorbie said:
Random guess: Pi? e? Root two/six/ten?
Those seem more like values not real numbers - Sure you could go nuts and include thinks like:
Meg Gig Dad Mom lot bit M K G ... on and on

dictionary.com says that "mol" is an alternate spelling of "mole"--not an abbreviation.

RandallB said:
Can you find any other "numbers" that remain unaltered?

Are we talking numbers in word form, like "three"? If numerical form is acceptable, then 1-1009, 1110-1119 1220-1229 etc...

matthyaouw said:
Are we talking numbers in word form, like "three"? If numerical form is acceptable, then 1-1009, 1110-1119 1220-1229 etc...
I ausmse yuor hnvaig torblue rdneiag psot #1 the pahrse "ltteers in a wrod" cmeos out to "leertts in a wrod" not nubemrs in a nbeumr.

If yuor hiavng trboule raxielng yuor mnid so it can use i'ts pweor Il'l reeapt boelw.

I assume your having trouble reading post #1 the phrase "ltteers in a wrod" comes out to "letters in a wrod" not numbers in a number.

If your having trouble relaxing your mind so it can use it's power I'll repeat below.

Basically all 3 letter words, all 4 letter words with the same letter in the middle. I don't think there are 5 letter words with 3 letters that are the same i nthe middle.

Actually, i just wasn't paying attention. D'oh!

What is "Hmuan Mnid-Paomnnehel Pweor"?

"Hmuan Mnid-Paomnnehel Pweor" is a concept that refers to the ability of the human mind to understand and process information, even when the words are misspelled or jumbled. It highlights the brain's remarkable ability to make sense of language and communication despite errors in spelling or word order.

How does the "Hmuan Mnid-Paomnnehel Pweor" work?

The "Hmuan Mnid-Paomnnehel Pweor" works through a combination of various cognitive processes such as pattern recognition, context clues, and top-down processing. These processes allow the brain to make predictions and fill in missing information to make sense of words, even when they are not spelled correctly or in the correct order.

What is the significance of "Hmuan Mnid-Paomnnehel Pweor" in human communication?

The significance of "Hmuan Mnid-Paomnnehel Pweor" in human communication is immense. It allows us to understand and communicate with each other, even when there are errors or mistakes in language. It also highlights the flexibility and adaptability of the human brain in processing and understanding information.

Can "Hmuan Mnid-Paomnnehel Pweor" be trained or improved?

Yes, studies have shown that "Hmuan Mnid-Paomnnehel Pweor" can be improved through practice and exposure to different types of language and communication. Reading, playing word games, and learning a new language are some ways to enhance this ability.

Are there any limitations to "Hmuan Mnid-Paomnnehel Pweor"?

While "Hmuan Mnid-Paomnnehel Pweor" is a remarkable ability, it also has its limitations. It works best with familiar words and phrases, and it may struggle with completely jumbled or nonsensical text. It also requires a certain level of language proficiency and cognitive ability to function effectively.