Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hmuan Mnid-Paomnnehel Pweor

1. Jan 15, 2005 #1
    Aoccdrnig to a rsceheearr at Cmabigrde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can siltl raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
    Qoitseun: Waht nebrums riamen ulerentad?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2005 #2
    do you mean the numbers like: 122225, 733339, 26, 52, 72221?

P.S. this trick doesn't work if any of the letters quits its syllable... that's why your question is hardly readable :) (however as far as i understand that was your intention!)
  4. Jan 15, 2005 #3
    The wrod "qotsuein" is eialsy usatndnredblae. Heoevwr "ulerentad" is a ltlite bit dcflfiuit.
  5. Jan 15, 2005 #4
    Question: what numbers are ???? unrelated

I do not get that word with the R in it? Riemen? Ramien?

I am also guessing that last word is unrelated, but that does not make much sense; however, it may be due to the fact that I do not know what the R word is.
  6. Jan 15, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What numbers remain unaltered?
  7. Jan 15, 2005 #6
    one two six ten
  8. Jan 15, 2005 #7
    Now that sounds and looks correct right there. :smile:
  9. Jan 15, 2005 #8
    No, I'd call that the question.

The best answer is 1, 2, 6, 10
    Need to convert them to words of course.
  10. Jan 29, 2005 #9
    Gleemtenn; one, two, six, ten,-yes, but I feel three is one mroe.
  11. Feb 14, 2005 #10
    there are many more if you aren't going to break syllables.
  12. Feb 14, 2005 #11

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I understood the question, but I don't understand your answers. What ABOUT 1,2, 6, and 10? In what sense do they remain unaltered? Under what kind of transformation. In other words, what the hell are you talking about? :biggrin:
  13. Feb 14, 2005 #12

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They must have only syllable.The theory of changing letters among sylables does not apply to them.But there are are digits whose names have one sylable,2,which could mean this is not the explanation.

Wried.*no emoticon,so it's possible*...

14. Feb 14, 2005 #13
    I think what he's saying is that the transformation is:

First and last letter stay the same, but middle letters can be scrambled randomly. Which numbers are unaltered?
  15. Feb 14, 2005 #14
    I believe this is also used as a method to write faster. Whn yr ritng u dnt nd to use all the ltrs to mke urslf clr. U cn uslly leav out som vowls nd peple stl undrstnd wht ur syin.
    Even if others cant understand what your saying at least you can read it yourself, and it is faster to write. ( in theory, with practice)
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
  16. Feb 14, 2005 #15
    Take any one of the words: one two six or ten
    Now holding the first and last letters in place rearrange the letter(s) in the word and alter it as much as you can.
    It remains unaltered.

You will have more success with altering the word three - - trhee

Can you find any other "numbers" that remain unaltered?
  17. Feb 14, 2005 #16
    How about a mol?
  18. Feb 14, 2005 #17
    If you mean the abbreviation for the number 'mole' - then I'd use the real word altered to "mloe"
    As the term for molecular weight it is not a number
  19. Feb 14, 2005 #18
    Random guess:

Pi? e? Root two/six/ten?
  20. Feb 14, 2005 #19
    Those seem more like values not real numbers - Sure ya could go nuts and include thinks like:
    Meg Gig Dad Mom lot bit M K G ... on and on
  21. Feb 14, 2005 #20
    dictionary.com says that "mol" is an alternate spelling of "mole"--not an abbreviation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?