1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hnd fluid mechanics problem please help

1. May 28, 2012 #1
    A jet of water 70mm in diameter moving with a velocity of 25m/s impinges tangentially on a stationary blade which deflects the jet through 130o.
    (a) Find the resultant force on the blade, in magnitude and direction.
    (b) If the blade has a velocity of 5m/s in the same direction as the jet and the jet loses 20% of its velocity due to friction, recalculate the force on the moving vane.
    Assume density of water = 1000kg/m3.

Your solutions to both (a) and (b) to include appropriate illustrations
    can some one please help or give me an idiots example of how to get started on this , im not good at word to show my working out i have no answer as i cant work out ( u ) uk way of working out equation
    thanks
    if i could just get a good pionter i should be able to do it myself using my notes guys thanks

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2012 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Think impulse-momentum equation: ∫Fdt = Δp
    where
    F = force
    t = time
    p = momentum.

(Vectors are in bold)

4. May 29, 2012 #3
    thanks man well appreciated, ill give it a go , then well see if it looks right thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook