1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hoag's Object ?

1. Apr 8, 2005 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2005 #2
    If it is a soliton is really a very big soliton!

I suppose that this new hypothesis of soliton galaxy will have to compete with other 3 theories about the formation of this bizarre galaxy

http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/H/Hoags_Object.html
    1)Hoag's Object is a disk galaxy and the ring was formed from the end of a central bar that has since dissolved
    2)the inner core is an E0 elliptical galaxy, not a disk, and that the ring resulted from an accretion event 2 to 3 billion years ago
    3)Hoag's Object be considered the prototype of a class called Hoag-type galaxies, which are neither obviously barred nor obviously inclined disks

BTW, it always has amazed me that in the background of the image there's another Hoag-like galaxy. I wonder if there's some link between them, I don't think that galaxies of this type are very common...

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?