PF Members' Hobbies: Music, Sports & More

• Music
  • Thread starter beamie564
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Members
In summary: far.I thought of learning to play a piano, but then decided against it ( good pianos being more expensive and also not very mobile). But I do hope to start playing them at some point in my life.. It's quite impressive, you playing at an orchestra.
beamie564
Hi all! I was just wondering what hobbies/interests do you have other than academia?
I've always wanted to learn to play a music instrument and lately I've taken a liking to classical music, been thinking about signing up for violin classes.

Science news on Phys.org
Aniruddha@94 said:
I've always wanted to learn to play a music instrument and lately I've taken a liking to classical music, been thinking about signing up for violin classes.
That is a really nice interest. :smile:
Aniruddha@94 said:
I was just wondering what hobbies/interests do you have other than academia?
Out of academia? Besides playing video games, training. I just like how it feels. Been thinking about doing gymnastics (always wanted to try this), but I'm not so sure of a place where I can learn it. Cool historic fact about gymnastics:
[PLAIN]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnastics said:
In[/PLAIN] the beginning of gymnastics, which formally originated from Ancient Greece, gymnastics was originally intended for military training, where it was used by soldiers to get ready for war. The skills and strength in performing gymnastics at the ancient times were thought as great assets to those battling on the warfield.

:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes beamie564
I used to participate in gymnastics when I was in school, can't remember why I dropped it. It's nice to have a physical activity. In my 3 years of college I played football (soccer) and also chess

Likes Psinter
Aniruddha@94 said:
I used to participate in gymnastics when I was in school, can't remember why I dropped it. It's nice to have a physical activity. In my 3 years of college I played football (soccer) and also chess
Really? :wideeyed: That is so cool!

Likes beamie564
Psinter said:
Really? :wideeyed: That is so cool!
Thanks! I wasn't too good though, could make it only to the reserve team

I like nature (my favourite type of landscape is a village or small town surrounded by hills and meadows), animals, reading and I'm interested in various spiritualities/religions and cultures. I'd like to learn about as many various points of view about the world as possible. I enjoy colouring colouring pages for adults :) The only sports that I don't hate are yin yoga and swimming :)

Likes Astronuc and Psinter
Sophia said:
I like nature (my favourite type of landscape is a village or small town surrounded by hills and meadows), animals, reading and I'm interested in various spiritualities/religions and cultures. I'd like to learn about as many various points of view about the world as possible. I enjoy colouring colouring pages for adults :) The only sports that I don't hate are yin yoga and swimming :)
You seem to be a creative/artistic kind of person:)

Likes Sophia
Aniruddha@94 said:
Hi all! I was just wondering what hobbies/interests do you have other than academia?
If you want to get to a standard where you can share music-making with others, it pays to start young, and it can be a lot of work. If you're thinking of learning a melody instrument such as violin, I'd also suggest getting some familiarity with keyboard/piano playing as well as general music background.

As my main hobby, I play violin (started at age 8) or piano (started at age 6), and my wife plays the cello. Last night we were playing string quartets with friends who play violin and viola, and the night before we were at a symphony orchestra rehearsal. The snag with the orchestras is that I'm the chairman of the orchestral society and my wife is the administrator so we have so much work to do running the two Havant Orchestras (semi-professional chamber orchestra and amateur symphony orchestra) that it rather spoils the musical side.

Likes dlgoff, Silicon Waffle, Sophia and 1 other person
Jonathan Scott said:
If you want to get to a standard where you can share music-making with others, it pays to start young, and it can be a lot of work. If you're thinking of learning a melody instrument such as violin, I'd also suggest getting some familiarity with keyboard/piano playing as well as general music background.

As my main hobby, I play violin (started at age 8) or piano (started at age 6), and my wife plays the cello. Last night we were playing string quartets with friends who play violin and viola, and the night before we were at a symphony orchestra rehearsal. The snag with the orchestras is that I'm the chairman of the orchestral society and my wife is the administrator so we have so much work to do running the two Havant Orchestras (semi-professional chamber orchestra and amateur symphony orchestra) that it rather spoils the musical side.
I thought of learning to play a piano, but then decided against it ( good pianos being more expensive and also not very mobile). But I do hope to start playing them at some point in my life.. It's quite impressive, you playing at an orchestra. I somehow don't see myself going that far. Anyways, thanks for the advice

I was 14 when I picked up a cheap guitar and a Van Halen book. I pretty much dropped out of high school just to play. I never feel like I've gotten any good, but the pleasure of playing hasn't dissipated one bit.

Almost ten years later I'm spending my life savings just to complete my high school courses. I've found mathematics to be a terrific hobby.

Likes beamie564
Aniruddha@94 said:
I thought of learning to play a piano, but then decided against it ( good pianos being more expensive and also not very mobile). But I do hope to start playing them at some point in my life.. It's quite impressive, you playing at an orchestra. I somehow don't see myself going that far. Anyways, thanks for the advice
I don't recommend buying a real piano, which is heavy and requires maintenance, unless you get really serious. I recommend a semi-portable digital keyboard with a proper touch-sensitive full sized piano keyboard. I do have a baby grand piano myself (Young Chang G-157), but I also have a Roland FP-7F digital keyboard which I can pick up and take with me when necessary (especially to play celesta or harpsichord parts). Something like a basic Yamaha Clavinova or similar would probably be suitable for learning.

Likes Dembadon, Silicon Waffle and beamie564
Watching cartoons, reading comics.
I like listening to music and many songs are always on top of my favored list. I remember all their lyrics so I can lip-sync one of them imagining I am the singer myself while it being played. :biggrin:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, CrazyNinja, beamie564 and 1 other person
I second what Jonathan Scott said about small pianos, particularly electronic keyboards. I have a pretty nice Roland keyboard, that I don't play very often. I have a couple of guitars that I play regularly -- a Martin D-35 and a Guild 12-string, both from the '70s, and purchased second-hand. Both are steel-string guitars. I had another Martin, a D-16 that I bought new -- I gave that to my son who has a very strong interest in music.

Probably my main hobbies are motorcycles, of which I now have five, all Harleys. A couple of them are pretty old -- 1946 and 1948. The other three are from the 80's, 90's, and 00's. At any given time, I'll have one or two of them apart, either for maintenance or to repair something.

During the warmer weather I like to go on backpacking trips. Where I live is ideal for this pursuit, as I'm very close to the Washington Cascade Range, and it's not too far to get over to Olympic National Park. The backpacking trips range from a weekend all the way up to 10 or more days, and up to 55 miles in distance. I don't mind sleeping on the ground, and don't mind eating freeze-dried food. The views I get are definitely worth it. I have a couple of friends who enjoy these trips, as well. I've done a few solo trips, but prefer to go with someone else, for safety reasons, and for the ability to reminisce with them after the trips.

Likes Astronuc and beamie564
Silicon Waffle said:
Watching cartoons, reading comics.
:eek: Aha! I forgot to mention these! Definitely on my list of hobbies.
Aniruddha@94 said:
Thanks! I wasn't too good though, could make it only to the reserve team
Hey, you are better than me at it and that's for sure :wink:. At this point I probably couldn't gymnast even if my life depended on it. :smile: But I want to train on it and learn.

Likes beamie564 and Silicon Waffle
What cartoons and comics do you guys like?
I used to watch Family guy, Futurama and of course Simpsons. I know that many people love manga so I should try that too. I've only seen one hentai movie and it was so funny! :-D

Likes beamie564
Archer is the best cartoon out there right now, in my opinion. Only time I watch TV actually, except for hockey.

Sophia said:
I like nature (my favourite type of landscape is a village or small town surrounded by hills and meadows), animals, reading and I'm interested in various spiritualities/religions and cultures. I'd like to learn about as many various points of view about the world as possible.
Much the same, but then I like to up in the mountains or forests away from civilization.

Likes Sophia
Sophia said:
I used to watch Family guy, Futurama and of course Simpsons. I know that many people love manga so I should try that too. I've only seen one ... movie and it was so funny! :-D
You really have no hairs on your tongue. You really do speak the language of honesty. I'll tell you elsewhere, I don't want to derail this thread.
Astronuc said:
Much the same, but then I like to up in the mountains or forests away from civilization.
Great! I'll invite you too to the forest Astronuc! :smile: The nice forest, not the creepy one.
(I say this, but I'm playing, I'll actually never invite anyone, I'm too anxious to meet with people)

Likes beamie564 and Sophia
Sophia said:
I used to watch Family guy, Futurama and of course Simpsons. I know that many people love manga so I should try that too. I've only seen one hentai movie and it was so funny! :-D
Yes, I like Family Guy too and its short messages of political silliness. Hilarious though.
Psinter said:
(I say this, but I'm playing, I'll actually never invite anyone, I'm too anxious to meet with people)
You talk like a fake job ad! :DD

Likes Psinter
Jonathan Scott said:
As my main hobby, I play violin (started at age 8) or piano (started at age 6), and my wife plays the cello.
Do any of you children play an instrument? IIRC, you have two; a boy and a girl, correct?

jtbell said:
[added] I just found out about "drainspotting". Is anyone here into it? :woot:
Think what it would be like to collect the actual drain cover. :oldsurprised:

Researching and learning constitutional law of New Zealand. :D

Likes kjdfhgd
dlgoff said:
Do any of you children play an instrument? IIRC, you have two; a boy and a girl, correct?
My daughter plays the violin, including playing in orchestras, and also plays the ukulele and sings. My son played the violin for a bit, but gave up, then recently he started teaching himself the guitar (playing chords for popular songs).

Likes dlgoff
Before tinnitus took most of my hearing I did composition.

When I was younger, my hobbies were mountain climbing and race car and kart driving. For the last three years, I've been learning classical fencing with the French foil and Italian foil. I'm 67 years old.

dlgoff said:
Think what it would be like to collect the actual drain cover. :oldsurprised:
I've read in my local people about people who collect drain covers and long stretches of copper electrical cable, but they are undoubtedly meth heads, not actual collectors.

Likes Sophia and dlgoff
Dotini said:
When I was younger, my hobbies were mountain climbing and race car and kart driving. For the last three years, I've been learning classical fencing with the French foil and Italian foil. I'm 67 years old.
Interesting hobbies. I favor active hobbies where you actually do something or make something, rather than the sedentary hobbies (such as watching cartoons on TV or reading comic books) that some members have reported here.

Likes davenn
Mark44 said:
I've read in my local people about people who collect drain covers and long stretches of copper electrical cable, but they are undoubtedly meth heads, not actual collectors.
Idiots. :doh:

Mark44 said:
Interesting hobbies. I favor active hobbies where you actually do something or make something, rather than the sedentary hobbies (such as watching cartoons on TV or reading comic books) that some members have reported here.
I'd like to create something but I'm totally uncreative. Tried drawing and painting but it was a disaster. I even took art classes as an adult but nothing good came out of it :-) since than I prefer coloring pictures that someone else has drawn. That way I can't spoil anything and it is good for relaxation.

Now i am getting older i partake in more sedentary sports, i am quite good at Wellie Wanging, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellie_wanging.
Another sport i enjoy is Gurning although i have never won a competition. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurn.
One competition i would love to win is Cheese Rolling though i think i am getting to old for it.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper's_Hill_Cheese-Rolling_and_Wake
The last sport although you will not find it on the internet was Cow Pat throwing, one had to find a nicely dried cow pat and throw it like a discus, the cow pat had to land in one piece for one to win.

Likes kjdfhgd and Sophia
where do I start ? :rolleyes:

amateur radio
seismology
rock, mineral and fossil collecting
general electronics --- includes commercial manufacturing and sales ( a good paying hobby ... funds some of my other expensive ones)
astronomy
photography, including astrophotography
coin and banknote collecting
still do some model building ... the latest will be a 1:1 scale of the Millennium Falcon model as used for filming in Star Wars
This will be the most complex and largest one I have ever done, measuring roughly 1 metre in diameter ( a kit spread out over a year or so)

That's the core of them :wink:
Dave

davenn said:
where do I start ? :rolleyes:

amateur radio
seismology
rock, mineral and fossil collecting
general electronics --- includes commercial manufacturing and sales ( a good paying hobby ... funds some of my other expensive ones)
astronomy
photography, including astrophotography
coin and banknote collecting
still do some model building ... the latest will be a 1:1 scale of the Millennium Falcon model as used for filming in Star Wars
This will be the most complex and largest one I have ever done, measuring roughly 1 metre in diameter ( a kit spread out over a year or so)

That's the core of them :wink:
Dave
That's a lot! Rock, mineral and fossil collecting sounds interesting. Do you go on trips and look for them yourself or do you buy them? What kind of fossils do you have?

Likes davenn
Sophia said:
That's a lot! Rock, mineral and fossil collecting sounds interesting. Do you go on trips and look for them yourself or do you buy them? What kind of fossils do you have?
it keeps me out of trouble :wink:

I find having many hobbies is good ... if I get a little bored with one, I can move on to do work on one of the other ones

Much of the overseas samples are purchased, either imported by local rock and mineral shops or I purchased from similar shops
when traveling overseas. ( it's the only way to get some of the stuff).

Over the years have done lots of collecting as I traveled around the countryside both here in Australia and back in my home country of New Zealand
Stopping at road cuttings, beaches, mining quarries and all sorts of other places ...

My fossils ... mainly NZ ones and all personally collected. NZ has an abundance of marine fossils.
3 of the cooler ones ... 30 million yr old HUGE oysters from SW area South Island. 65 million yr old Ammonites from a quarry close to my old home
... The last of their kind before the big K-T extinction event. 500 million yr old Trilobites from the NW region of the South Island

They are all still in New Zealand ... there is a thing called the Equities Act which limits the export of the country's natural history
If I wanted to take any of them out, they would all have to be sent to the local univ geology dept for appraisal to determine if they were common
or rare species. Just too much hassle.

The only ones I brought with me were ones that were purchased and are not NZ fossils

I did bring my entire rock and mineral collection to Australia when I moved here. Cost me a fortune in airfreight costs ( a lot of weight haha)
my rock and mineral collection includes 3 specialty areas
Fluorescing ones ( under UV light), radio active ones, and meteorites

Just in case you are interested ... the seismology interest ... I run my own seismic recording station.
5 of the 6 sensors are online, they update every 5 minutes.
http://www.sydneystormcity.com/seismograms.htmcheers
Dave

Likes Sophia