Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hobbit Discovered

1. Oct 27, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Hobbit" Discovered

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/10/1027_041027_homo_floresiensis.html

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2004 #2
    So is it a good thing that I found some ring in a hunk of rock?

Really interesting discovery. So many things that have yet to be uncovered on this Earth, and so little that we can do with it when we do find it.

4. Oct 28, 2004 #3
    Next they going to find big foot

5. Oct 28, 2004 #4
    I'm waiting for them to find the ELVES!

6. Oct 28, 2004 #5

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

amazing discovery!

7. Oct 28, 2004 #6
    I'm also waiting for them to find G.W.Bushe's brain.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2004
  8. Oct 28, 2004 #7
    If you're going to criticize someone, it would be nice to spell the name correctly. It's Bush.

9. Oct 28, 2004 #8
    It is indeed an interesting discovering. But it can't compete with reading about the real hobbits. Ironically I am refering to the critters from Tolkien's book.

I would have to defend tumor. J-orange doesn't deserve to have his name spelt correctly in my opinion.

10. Oct 28, 2004 #9
    Sorry about it, sometimes I wish they could find mine too.

11. Oct 30, 2004 #10

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

It's quite humbling to know that we are still discovering finds like these on earth despite how far we think we have come.

12. Oct 30, 2004 #11
    i saw bigfoot in the guiness world records... 1998 i think,
    not sure of its realness tho...

13. Oct 31, 2004 #12
    If we find a 500 year old skeleton, how will we be able to revive the hobbits if we forbid cloning?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
  14. Oct 31, 2004 #13

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You would not be able to clone it anyway. The DNA and nucleus would be degredated beyond recovery

15. Oct 31, 2004 #14
    It would be so much cooler if we could find Gandalf to! :)

Seriosly, it is an awesome find though.

16. Nov 1, 2004 #15
    Next thing they will find that we humans are an evolutionary setback.

17. Nov 1, 2004 #16
    Well, i must say that would be great, however, i have found a couple of fatal flaws in your idea:

1) Gandalf is a wizard, they never die - and seeing he was in the prime of life for the filming of lord of the rings a mere year ago, we are unlikely to find his skeleton anytime soon...

2) Gandalf is from middle earth, which, is not this one - to find his skeleton we would have to take the passenger ferry from the undying lands to middle earth and be find him in all his skeleton mighty'ness', and there is no ferry from here to the undying lands; oh, how i despair!

... :uhh:

18. Dec 20, 2004 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6724037/

19. Dec 20, 2004 #18
    I was fortunate enough to attend this conference (Sorry Dutch), where one of the scientist told all about this discovery in a excavation pit in a cave of Liang Bua on the Island of Flores.

A few highlight of his narrative.

Although Flores is part of the Indonesian island chain, it's not on the continental shelf like the main islands and it's past the natural barrier between Asia and Australia. Modern Homo Sapiens may have circumnavigate around it, while reaching Australia.

Dwarfing of island species is a well known -but highly debated- phenomenon. As usual media reports can be misleading since there have been also normal to big sized stegodons on the same island.

The mini men are also mentioned in the local myths and saga. They were depicted as forest people, living in a cave, a bit of a nuissance, since they were stealing food in the village. But they were also cute so they were tolerated. The most remarkable of that tale is that it is not about unusual supernatural things as usual.

20. Dec 20, 2004 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It sounds like something out of a Sci Fi book.

I have started a thread devoted to anecdotal evidence for, and speculation about potential encounters with these little people. This is such an exciting discovery! It really fires the imagination.
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=50855

21. Dec 26, 2004 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hobbit caught in academic crossfire

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200411/s1251165.htm

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?