Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"Hobbit" Discovered

"Hobbit" Discovered: Tiny Human Ancestor Found in Asia

Hillary Mayell
for National Geographic News
October 27, 2004

Scientists have found fossil skeletons of a hobbit-like species of human that grew no larger than a three-year-old modern child (See pictures). The tiny humans, who had skulls about the size of grapefruits, lived with pygmy elephants and Komodo dragons on a remote island in Indonesia as recently as 13,000 years ago. [continued]
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/10/1027_041027_homo_floresiensis.html

Last edited by a moderator:
So is it a good thing that I found some ring in a hunk of rock?

Really interesting discovery. So many things that have yet to be uncovered on this Earth, and so little that we can do with it when we do find it.

Next they going to find big foot

I'm waiting for them to find the ELVES!

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
amazing discovery!

I'm also waiting for them to find G.W.Bushe's brain.

Last edited:
tumor said:
I'm also waiting for them to find G.W.Bushe's brain.
If you're going to criticize someone, it would be nice to spell the name correctly. It's Bush.

It is indeed an interesting discovering. But it can't compete with reading about the real hobbits. Ironically I am refering to the critters from Tolkien's book.

I would have to defend tumor. J-orange doesn't deserve to have his name spelt correctly in my opinion.

Gabrielle said:
If you're going to criticize someone, it would be nice to spell the name correctly. It's Bush.
Sorry about it, sometimes I wish they could find mine too.

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
It's quite humbling to know that we are still discovering finds like these on earth despite how far we think we have come.

tumor said:
Next they going to find big foot
i saw bigfoot in the guiness world records... 1998 i think,
not sure of its realness tho...

If we find a 500 year old skeleton, how will we be able to revive the hobbits if we forbid cloning?

Last edited:

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Sariaht said:
If we find a 500 year old skeleton, how will we be able to revive the hobbits if we forbid cloning?
You would not be able to clone it anyway. The DNA and nucleus would be degredated beyond recovery

It would be so much cooler if we could find Gandalf to! :)

Seriosly, it is an awesome find though.

Next thing they will find that we humans are an evolutionary setback.

Cosmo16 said:
It would be so much cooler if we could find Gandalf to! :)

Seriosly, it is an awesome find though.
Well, i must say that would be great, however, i have found a couple of fatal flaws in your idea:

1) Gandalf is a wizard, they never die - and seeing he was in the prime of life for the filming of lord of the rings a mere year ago, we are unlikely to find his skeleton anytime soon...

2) Gandalf is from middle earth, which, is not this one - to find his skeleton we would have to take the passenger ferry from the undying lands to middle earth and be find him in all his skeleton mighty'ness', and there is no ferry from here to the undying lands; oh, how i despair!

... :uhh:

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
...First runner-up: 'Hobbit' fossils
The first runner-up for breakthrough of the year was the discovery on the Indonesian island of Flores of fossils from a species of tiny humans who stood about 3 feet (1 meter) tall and had a brain less than a third the size of modern humans. Yet, the diminutive hominid lived about 18,000 years ago. This suggests that Homo floresiensis shared the planet with Homo sapiens, or modern people.

Science said some described the find as “the biggest discovery in half a century of anthropological research.” [continued]
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6724037/

I was fortunate enough to attend http://www.pleistocenemammals.com/aktiviteiten.htm [Broken] (Sorry Dutch), where one of the scientist told all about this discovery in a excavation pit in a cave of Liang Bua on the Island of Flores.

A few highlight of his narrative.

Although Flores is part of the Indonesian island chain, it's not on the continental shelf like the main islands and it's past the natural barrier between Asia and Australia. Modern Homo Sapiens may have circumnavigate around it, while reaching Australia.

Dwarfing of island species is a well known -but highly debated- phenomenon. As usual media reports can be misleading since there have been also normal to big sized stegodons on the same island.

The mini men are also mentioned in the local myths and saga. They were depicted as forest people, living in a cave, a bit of a nuissance, since they were stealing food in the village. But they were also cute so they were tolerated. The most remarkable of that tale is that it is not about unusual supernatural things as usual.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It sounds like something out of a Sci Fi book.

I have started a thread devoted to anecdotal evidence for, and speculation about potential encounters with these little people. This is such an exciting discovery! It really fires the imagination.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=50855

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hobbit caught in academic crossfire

One of Indonesia's leading scientists has rejected one of Australia's greatest archaeological discoveries.

Last month, Australian scientists announced the discovery of a new human species after the remains of a small-bodied hominid were found on the Indonesian island of Flores.

The creature was quickly dubbed the 'hobbit' and heralded as one of the biggest finds since the discovery of the Neanderthal man more than a century ago.

Called Homo floresiensis, or the hobbit, it stood just one metre tall with a brain smaller than a chimpanzee.

But one of Indonesia's most senior palaeanthropologists, Professor Teuku Jacob, has claimed the skeleton is not a new species but simply the remains of a small human related to a local pigmy population.

To make matters worse he is also disputing the hominid's sex.
[continued]
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200411/s1251165.htm [Broken]

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Nature is fairly clear on the point

With the discovery of Flores Man, a new species of human from just 18,000 years ago, reported in this issue of Nature, the Pacific Rim is yet again proving to be the dusty attic of evolution — full of unusual and often bizarre artefacts of biology. Homo floresiensis, nicknamed 'hobbits' by the researchers, were tiny tool-making people, who hunted tiny elephants and coexisted with modern humans colonizing the area. In this web focus, we gather together the new papers on Flores Man, as well as recent papers from Nature on some of the other oddities that have sprung up from this fascinating region. All content is free to registered users. [continued]
http://www.nature.com/nature/focus/flores/

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
...The scientists said the model shows that the 3-foot specimen, nicknamed Hobbit, had a brain unlike anything they had seen before in the human lineage. The brain is chimplike in size, about 417 cubic centimeters.

Yet the Hobbit's brain shared wrinkled surface features with the much larger brains of both modern humans and Homo erectus, a tool-making ancestor that lived in southeast Asia more than 1 million years ago. Some of those brain features are consistent with higher cognitive traits.

These brain features coincide with physical evidence of advanced behaviors, such as hunting, firemaking and the use of stone tools, which were found alongside the bones in a cave on the remote equatorial island of Flores.[continued]
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050303/ap_on_sc/hobbit_brain_2 [Broken]

Dosen't get much better then a " wrinkled surface brain" now does it? I really love these kinds of discoveries. Thanks for the update!

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
There was a bit about this on Nova tonight.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sciencenow/3209/01.html

First, according to the show and/or the scientists interviewed, it appears that these little people probably survived on the island until a volcanic eruption about 12,000 years ago. However, local lore has it that they survived until much later. Now, of course, these claims are considered much more seriously. Some of the anthropologists involved are beginning to ask question such as: Did they [the hobbits] migrate and survive the volcanic event? Did they ever breed with humans? Could we have modern humans that are a hybrid of our known ancestors, and the hobbits?

And one thought that strikes me as well. The typical island dwarfing of mammals is assumed to account for the little people. The thought is that they and us have common ancestors, and when the oceans rose after the last ice age, these populations were isolated from the rest of the world. If this dwarfing is so likely as is now discussed - and as is evident in other island mammals - then it seems possible that this may have happened more than once. Could there have been other species of hobbits?

Edit: Oh yes, one scientist tells that a geologist friend once confided in her that he had seen "little people" somewhere else - I think she said in Africa - but he was afraid to tell anyone for fear of ridicule. Only now does his story seem remotely plausible.

Last edited:
This is amazing. These questions are some really good food for the brain. I wonder why they died out though and we did not. It would have seemed likely that they would have survived with us if their brains are thought to be of the higher cognitive intelligence levels. Thanks for the update Ivan! :biggrin: Keep us posted!