Hobby engineering

• Courses
  • Thread starter MrCosmic
  • Start date
MrCosmic
Gold Member
Hi, been lurking for 10 years. Never posted.

edx.org has classes on aero/mech engineering. I lack the math and physics background to understand them.
Math has terrified me since the 4th grade. We fear what we don't understand.

I plan to take math classes at my local community college. If I learn it in a class setting, I won't quit like I do trying to learn it on my own. I want to learn.
1.algebra 1-2
2.geometry
3.trigonometry
3.calculus 1-3
4.linear algebra
5.differential equations.
6.MAYBE physics 1-3

I can probably learn the physics on my own or online classes, once I've learned the math.

My questions are. How realistic is my goal? How long will the community college take to learn the math? Cost?

Just for hobby/amateur. Not a career thing. Self enhancement maybe.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman

Answers and Replies

If you are still able to read, write, and reason, then go for it. If any of these is lacking, it will be very difficult.

lewando
Homework Helper
Gold Member
How realistic is my goal?
Without a timeframe and some kind of measure of you abilities, it is hard to say.

How long will the community college take to learn the math?
Start with a timeframe that you think is the worst case. Advise that you take Algebra I. See how you fare. If you get an "A" then the expected time will be reduced. If you get a "C" or less, then abandon ship--it will not get easier. It will not cost you much to learn where you stand.

Cost?
The community college can advise on the total cost of your plan.

Just for hobby/amateur. Not a career thing. Self enhancement maybe.
This is my favorite part of your post! Go ahead and do it!

berkeman
Mentor
Math has terrified me since the 4th grade. We fear what we don't understand.

I plan to take math classes at my local community college. If I learn it in a class setting, I won't quit like I do trying to learn it on my own.
I think this is a good goal. Community Colleges are a great resource, and fairly inexpensive. Take one or two classes in the first term, and see how it goes. I agree that learning in a classroom setting like that will be much more effective for you getting started again, compared to trying to learn on your own.

And please do use the PF as the great learning resource that it is. When you bump up against a hard problem or a new concept that you are having trouble with, post the question in the Homework Help forums using the format of Problem Statement, Relevant Equations, Your Work So Far, and you will get great help. But you already know that, since you've been lurking for 10 years. :smile:

Also, please feel free to send me a PM message if I can help with questions about how to post or other PF issues. Just click on my avatar/username and "Start a conversation". I predict that you will enjoy your classes and your new learning a lot. Have fun! :smile:

Last edited:
Likes Bystander
MrCosmic
Gold Member
Thanks everyone.
I'll call and go to my local Community College.

Likes berkeman