Overcoming Math Fear to Pursue Hobby Engineering

• Courses
  • Thread starter MrCosmic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary: I'm not sure if I can take physics 1-3, but I'll try.It is possible to take physics 1-3 while still taking Algebra I. However, the time it will take to complete the classes will vary depending on your abilities.
MrCosmic
Hi, been lurking for 10 years. Never posted.

edx.org has classes on aero/mech engineering. I lack the math and physics background to understand them.
Math has terrified me since the 4th grade. We fear what we don't understand.

I plan to take math classes at my local community college. If I learn it in a class setting, I won't quit like I do trying to learn it on my own. I want to learn.
1.algebra 1-2
2.geometry
3.trigonometry
3.calculus 1-3
4.linear algebra
5.differential equations.
6.MAYBE physics 1-3

I can probably learn the physics on my own or online classes, once I've learned the math.

My questions are. How realistic is my goal? How long will the community college take to learn the math? Cost?

Just for hobby/amateur. Not a career thing. Self enhancement maybe.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
If you are still able to read, write, and reason, then go for it. If any of these is lacking, it will be very difficult.

MrCosmic said:
How realistic is my goal?
Without a timeframe and some kind of measure of you abilities, it is hard to say.

How long will the community college take to learn the math?
Start with a timeframe that you think is the worst case. Advise that you take Algebra I. See how you fare. If you get an "A" then the expected time will be reduced. If you get a "C" or less, then abandon ship--it will not get easier. It will not cost you much to learn where you stand.

Cost?
The community college can advise on the total cost of your plan.

Just for hobby/amateur. Not a career thing. Self enhancement maybe.
This is my favorite part of your post! Go ahead and do it!

MrCosmic said:
Math has terrified me since the 4th grade. We fear what we don't understand.

I plan to take math classes at my local community college. If I learn it in a class setting, I won't quit like I do trying to learn it on my own.
I think this is a good goal. Community Colleges are a great resource, and fairly inexpensive. Take one or two classes in the first term, and see how it goes. I agree that learning in a classroom setting like that will be much more effective for you getting started again, compared to trying to learn on your own.

And please do use the PF as the great learning resource that it is. When you bump up against a hard problem or a new concept that you are having trouble with, post the question in the Homework Help forums using the format of Problem Statement, Relevant Equations, Your Work So Far, and you will get great help. But you already know that, since you've been lurking for 10 years. :smile:

Also, please feel free to send me a PM message if I can help with questions about how to post or other PF issues. Just click on my avatar/username and "Start a conversation". I predict that you will enjoy your classes and your new learning a lot. Have fun! :smile:

Last edited:
Likes Bystander
Thanks everyone.
I'll call and go to my local Community College.

Likes berkeman

1. What is "math fear" and how does it affect pursuing engineering as a hobby?

"Math fear" is a common term used to describe the anxiety or fear that many people experience when faced with mathematical concepts or problems. This fear can make it difficult for individuals to pursue hobbies or careers that involve math, such as engineering. It can lead to avoidance or negative attitudes towards math, making it challenging to excel in this field.

2. Can math fear be overcome?

Yes, math fear can be overcome with the right mindset and approach. It may take time and effort, but with determination and practice, anyone can overcome their fear of math. Seeking support from a teacher, tutor, or mentor can also be helpful in overcoming math fear.

3. How can I overcome my fear of math to pursue hobby engineering?

One effective way to overcome math fear is by starting with the basics and building a strong foundation. This may involve reviewing fundamental concepts and practicing regularly. It can also be helpful to find real-life applications of math in engineering, as this can make it more relatable and less intimidating. Additionally, setting small, achievable goals and celebrating progress can boost confidence and motivation.

4. Are there any resources available to help me overcome math fear?

Yes, there are many resources available to help individuals overcome math fear. These may include online tutorials, practice problems, and educational videos. Seeking support from a teacher, tutor, or mentor can also be beneficial. Additionally, there are support groups and online communities where individuals can share their experiences and receive encouragement and advice.

5. How can overcoming math fear benefit me in pursuing hobby engineering?

Overcoming math fear can have many benefits in pursuing hobby engineering. It can increase confidence and motivation, making it easier to tackle challenging problems. It can also open up opportunities for personal growth and development in the field of engineering. Additionally, overcoming math fear can improve critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities, which are essential in engineering and many other fields.