Analyzing an Elastic Collision Between Two Hockey Pucks

• Thread starter nsaZn23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, a hockey puck moving at 0.43 m/s collides elastically with another puck that was at rest. The pucks have equal mass. The first puck is deflected 35° to the right and moves off at 0.36 m/s. Find the speed and direction of the second puck after the collision.
nsaZn23

Homework Statement

A hockey puck moving at 0.43 m/s collides elastically with another puck that was at rest. The pucks have equal mass. The first puck is deflected 35° to the right and moves off at 0.36 m/s. Find the speed and direction of the second puck after the collision.

Homework Equations

1/2mv2 + 1/2mv2 = 1/2mv2 + 1/2mv2
momentum initial = momentum final

The Attempt at a Solution

no idea

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by putting the equations for initial momentum and final momentum.

[tex] m \vec{v_{1}} + m \vec{0} = m \vec{v_{1}}' + m \vec{v_{2}}' [/tex]

then set up the KE equations too

nsaZn23 said:

Homework Statement

A hockey puck moving at 0.43 m/s collides elastically with another puck that was at rest. The pucks have equal mass. The first puck is deflected 35° to the right and moves off at 0.36 m/s. Find the speed and direction of the second puck after the collision.

Homework Equations

1/2mv2 + 1/2mv2 = 1/2mv2 + 1/2mv2
momentum initial = momentum final

The Attempt at a Solution

no idea

This would be an elastic collision.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elastic_collision#One-dimensional_Newtonian

You would want to focus on the conservation of momentum, not the conservation of energy.

In this regard you need to identify the components of the x,y velocity and add them separately to determine the components of the one you don't know. Then recombine the components to give the right answer.

uhhh I'm bad at physics can you elaborate?

nsaZn23,

are you familiar with vectors?

the problem basically is

[tex] v_{1} \vec{i} + \vec{0} = v_{1}_{x}' \vec{i} + v_{1}_{y}' \vec{j} + v_{2}_{x}' \vec{i} + v_{2}_{y}' \vec{j} [/tex]

Yeah,

I see that Mass X Velocity initial1 + Mass X Velocity initial2 = Mass X Velocity Final1 + Mass X Velocity Final2.

nevermind, i figured out how to do the problem, thanks.

1. What is the hockey puck momentum problem?

The hockey puck momentum problem is a physics problem that involves analyzing the momentum of a hockey puck as it moves across the ice. It takes into account the mass, velocity, and direction of the puck to determine its momentum.

2. How is momentum calculated in the hockey puck momentum problem?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying the mass of the hockey puck by its velocity. The direction of the momentum is in the same direction as the velocity of the puck.

3. What factors affect the momentum of a hockey puck?

The momentum of a hockey puck is affected by its mass, velocity, and direction of motion. The mass of the puck is the most influential factor, followed by its velocity.

4. How is momentum conserved in the hockey puck momentum problem?

In the hockey puck momentum problem, momentum is conserved when there is no external force acting on the puck. This means that the initial momentum of the puck will be equal to the final momentum after any collisions or changes in velocity.

5. How is the hockey puck momentum problem useful in real life?

The hockey puck momentum problem is useful in understanding the physics behind hockey and other sports that involve fast-moving objects. It is also applicable in engineering and transportation, as the principles of momentum can be used to design more efficient and safe systems.