Exploring Geometry: The $\star \sigma = 1$ Equation

In summary, the book says that the space ##V## is filled with scalars, and that the canonical basis for these scalars is ##e_0,e_1,e_2,e_3##. The determinant of this basis is ##-1##. The Hodge dual of a scalar is just multiplication. If you have a 0-form, then its Hodge dual is just itself.
kiuhnm
<Moderator's note: Moved from another forum.>

The book I'm reading says that ##\star \sigma = 1## and ##\star 1 = \sigma##, but I'm not sure about the last one. The space is ##V = \mathbb{M}^4## and we choose the canonical base ##e_0,e_1,e_2,e_3##. This means that ##g_{ij} = \mathrm{diag}(-1,1,1,1)##, so its determinant is ##-1##. We also choose ##\sigma=e_0 \wedge e_1 \wedge e_2 \wedge e_3##.
In general, given the definitions above: $$
\begin{align*}
\eta \wedge \star\lambda &= -g(\eta,\lambda)\sigma \\
\star\star\lambda &= (-1)^{p(4-p)+1}\lambda,\qquad\lambda \in \bigwedge\nolimits^p V
\end{align*}
$$ If I apply either of these equations to ##\star 1##, I get ##-\sigma##. For instance: $$
1 \wedge \star 1 = -g(1,1)\sigma = -\sigma
$$ I get the same thing even by using the definition: $$
\begin{align*}
1 \wedge \sigma &= g(\star 1, \sigma)\sigma &\implies \\
g(\star 1, \sigma) &= 1 &\implies \\
\star 1 &= -\sigma
\end{align*}
$$

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is more of a question then answer - sorry. How would you compute

##1 \wedge \sigma## ?

It sort of makes sense, but I do not know how to tackle it. The reason I have this question is that to solve your first equation ##\eta \wedge \star \lambda \dots##, for ##\lambda=\sigma##, I would need to consider this. Could ##\star 1=\sigma## be a convention?

Cryo said:
It is more of a question then answer - sorry. How would you compute

##1 \wedge \sigma## ?

It sort of makes sense, but I do not know how to tackle it. The reason I have this question is that to solve your first equation ##\eta \wedge \star \lambda \dots##, for ##\lambda=\sigma##, I would need to consider this. Could ##\star 1=\sigma## be a convention?

I assumed ##1\wedge\sigma=\sigma## but it doesn't make much sense. Maybe ##\star 1=\sigma## is just a convention.

Hodge dual for scalars (0 forms) is just multiplication, so it does make perfect sense for ##1 \wedge \omega = \omega## (That is, ## f \wedge a = fa## if f is a 0-form, and a is any form).

I have no clue why you're making your inner product negative. It all falls into place if you say ## a \wedge \star b = g(a,b) \sigma##

Now, let's ask what ##\star 1## is. We know that ##a \wedge \star a = g(a,a) \sigma##. Thus, ##1 \wedge \star 1 = g(1,1) \sigma = \sigma## Since 1 is a 0-form, the only conclusion we can make is ##\star 1 = \sigma##

I have some posts in my history computing other forms, but I'm not a mathematician so there isn't much rigor.

Also, i think what might be tripping you up is the ##\star \sigma = 1## because on lorentzian manifolds, this isn't the case because the bigger picture is ## \sigma \wedge \star \sigma = g(\sigma, \sigma) \sigma = (-1)^s \sigma## where s is the signature of your metric, and in your case, that is 1, so ##\star \sigma = -1## on those manifolds.

EDIT: To be even more clear, ##\star \sigma = (-1)^s##.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Cryo
I'm making the inner product negative because if ##g(\sigma,\sigma)=(-1)^d##, then ##a\wedge\star b = (-1)^d g(a,b)\sigma##, according to the book. Here's the full theorem:

Let ##V## be ##n##-dimensional with inner product ##g##. Let ##\eta,\lambda \in \bigwedge\nolimits^p V##, and choose ##\sigma \in \bigwedge\nolimits^n V## to satisfy ##g(\sigma, \sigma)=(-1)^d##. Then $$
\star\star\lambda = (-1)^{p(n-p)+d} \lambda,
$$ and $$
\eta \wedge \star\lambda = \lambda \wedge \star\eta = (-1)^d g(\eta,\lambda)\sigma.
$$

In general, the Hodge dual is defined through this relation: $$
\lambda\wedge\mu = g(\star\lambda, \mu)\sigma.
$$ If ##g_{ij} = \mathrm{diag}(-1,1,1,1)##, we must have ##g(\sigma,\sigma)=\det(g_{ij})=-1## as the book states. If it makes sense to say that ##g(1,1)=1## and the definitions keep working, then $$
\sigma\wedge 1 = g(\star\sigma, 1)\sigma \implies g(\star\sigma,1)=1 \implies \star\sigma = 1
$$ Similarly, $$
1 \wedge \sigma = g(\star1, \sigma)\sigma \implies g(\star 1, \sigma)=1 \implies \star 1 = -\sigma
$$ because ##g(\sigma,\sigma)=-1##.
Do you see anything wrong with my reasoning? Are we using the same ##\sigma##? In what I wrote, ##\sigma=e_0\wedge e_1\wedge e_2\wedge e_3##, where ##e_0=(1,0,0,0), e_1=(0,1,0,0), e_2=(0,0,1,0)##, and ##e_3=(0,0,0,1)##. The Lorentzian inner product was defined as $$
g(u,v) := -u_0 v_0 + \sum_{i=1}^{n-1} u_i v_i.
$$ which means that ##g(e_0,e_0)=-1## and thus ##g(\sigma,\sigma)=-1##.

I'm not sure what book you're learning this from, but I have never seen it being ##g(\star a, a)##, I've only seen ##g(\star a, \star a)## or ##g(a,a)##

Regardless, your logic should be fine since you're consistent. That is, ##\star 1 = -\sigma## and ##\star \sigma = 1## whereas I get ##\star 1 = \sigma## and ##\star \sigma = -1## so we're off by a factor of ##(-1)^s## which is fine.

The book i learned the basics of this from has it online for free, so you can check it out here, this page should talk more about it: http://physics.oregonstate.edu/coursewikis/GDF/book/gdf/hodge

Maybe this one will be closer to what you want: http://physics.oregonstate.edu/coursewikis/GDF/book/gdf/hodge2

Likes kiuhnm
romsofia said:
I'm not sure what book you're learning this from, but I have never seen it being ##g(\star a, a)##, I've only seen ##g(\star a, \star a)## or ##g(a,a)##

I'm reading Renteln's book.

1. What is the $\star \sigma = 1$ equation?

The $\star \sigma = 1$ equation, also known as the star sigma equals one equation, is a mathematical equation that relates to the concept of geometry. It is used to calculate the relationship between the surface area and volume of a geometric shape.

2. How is the $\star \sigma = 1$ equation used in geometry?

The $\star \sigma = 1$ equation is used in geometry to calculate the surface area and volume of various geometric shapes, such as spheres, cubes, and cylinders. It allows scientists and mathematicians to better understand the relationships between these measurements and how they relate to each other.

3. What does the star symbol ($\star$) represent in the $\star \sigma = 1$ equation?

The star symbol in the $\star \sigma = 1$ equation represents the surface area of the geometric shape being studied. This is typically denoted by the letter S in mathematical equations, but the star symbol is used to differentiate it from other variables in the equation.

4. How is the $\star \sigma = 1$ equation derived?

The $\star \sigma = 1$ equation is derived from the formula for surface area, which is the total area of all the surfaces of a three-dimensional object. By manipulating this formula, the $\star \sigma = 1$ equation was created to specifically relate the surface area and volume of a geometric shape.

5. What is the significance of the value of 1 in the $\star \sigma = 1$ equation?

The value of 1 in the $\star \sigma = 1$ equation represents the relationship between the surface area and volume of a geometric shape. It is significant because it shows that, for any given shape, the surface area and volume are always in a constant ratio of 1 to 1. This helps to simplify and generalize the equation for use with various shapes.