1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hohmann transfer problem

1. Dec 11, 2009 #1

itr

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You plan to visit the asteroid#1 (2.36 AU) and then asteriod#2 (2.77 AU). Assuming both asteroids are in the ecliptic plane, how much time(in years) would it take by hohmann transfer orbit to travel from earth to asteroid#1 on the first leg of your mission?

2. Relevant equations

I am not sure of the equations that would be needed for this type of equation.
    1AU=9.296x10^7 miles

3. The attempt at a solution

1AU=9.296x10^7 miles
    Asteriod#1 is 2.194x10^8 miles away from earth.
    This is all the information i have. I feel like i am short information...but i might not be....idk

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2009 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Dec 11, 2009 #3

itr

None of those help me with a time factor though.....

5. Dec 11, 2009 #4

itr

is there a time substitute in here somewhere? do i compare au to a light year and go from there?

6. Dec 11, 2009 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What time factor?

What is the nature of trajectory from Earth to the asteroid?

7. Dec 11, 2009 #6

itr

the question asks how long will it take for this hohmann transferto take......which is the jump from the earths orbit to the asteroid

8. Dec 11, 2009 #7

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You missed the second question. What is the nature of the trajectory from the Earth to the asteroid? What does the fact that this is a Hohmann transfer imply with regard to this trajectory?

You will need some other information to solve this problem. There are some constants, most likely spelled out in your text, that you will need.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook