Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hola from Mexico

1. Apr 24, 2005 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I've been in Mexico on business for the past week, so I haven't been around much (dunno if anyone has noticed a reduced post rate...). I had off yesterday and attached is a pic of the mountain I climbed (with my boss and another coworker - I'm on the right). We went up through the center of the cross and straight to the top from there. I didn't think we'd be able to go beyond the top of the cross and there were times I wished I had a safety line. Great adventure though. We found an easier way down - on the right side of the mountain.

I'll probably be here another week.

Adios!

-Russ

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Don't work too hard, russ; we need you in tip-top shape when you return.

Have a great stay!

4. Apr 24, 2005 #3
    Its a fun place to explore, hope your enjoying the fine weather....its snowing here in Michigan :confused:

5. Apr 24, 2005 #4
    What part of Mexico are you in, Russ? I'm looking for a place to live down there in about two years - trying to gather any information about the country...

6. Apr 24, 2005 #5
    not hard to tell why you want a place in mexico, you live in murmansk

7. Apr 24, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hola Russ!

Okay, now that I've exhausted all the Spanish sentences I can construct with proper grammar, I'll return to English. Hope you get a little more play time while there! Have fun! Wow, you guys have a good looking crew there!

You picked the right week to be there since we just got a fresh blast of cold air (light flurries last night even :yuck:) after being teased with hopes of summer for a week. Your neck of the woods is probably getting that horrid weather today.

8. Apr 24, 2005 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Mountain...? Good grief, man... the town that I live in is built on a hill 3 times that size. Regardless, hope you're enjoying yourself to the max. Next time you go, remember that I'm still flexible enough to fit into a large suitcase. :biggrin:

9. Apr 24, 2005 #8

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We see you do strange business inside a cross of a mexican mountain. Russ, are you involved in some strange dealing with natives?. :biggrin:

BTW: you remind me to some pop singer with these glasses....

10. Apr 24, 2005 #9

Evo

Don't go falling off any mountains, we need you here.

11. Apr 24, 2005 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm...yeah, Russ, we want to see your eyes. You had sunglasses on in your member photo thread photo too. :tongue:

BTW, what was the height of the mountain? It doesn't look like much more than a big hill in the picture, but I have no idea how far you're standing from the base of it.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  12. Apr 24, 2005 #11

SOS2008

Gold Member

That looks cool--what great experiences to have. You have been missed--nice to know you'll be coming back!

13. Apr 25, 2005 #12

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe he doesn't have eyes. He's an alien!!!!

14. Apr 25, 2005 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I can speculate all sorts of things. Maybe he's horribly cross-eyed, or has a glass eye that stares in a disturbing direction. Or maybe he's just in Mexico partying too much and they are all bloodshot. (See Russ, you better show your eyes or we're going to have to spread horrible rumors about you). :tongue2:

15. Apr 25, 2005 #14

russ_watters

Chihuahua (4 hours south of Texas, halfway between the oceans). Its a great little city. I had in my head a picture of how people describe Mexico City (which I also have not been to) and its nothing like that at all. Its relatively affluent, clean industrial, and just plain beautiful. It'd be a nice place to live for a few years.
    Attached is a pic taken from my hotel room. My guess is its about 1500 feet vertically. Hey - I'm from Pennsylvania, anything over 500 feet is a mountain. It took about 1:15 to get to the top.

Also, by popular demand, an unrelated photo of me with no sunglasses. Its the only one I have on my laptop. And if you guys beg enough (or complain too much??), I'll post the pic of me with no shirt on :wink:

----------------------------

Now - lemme tell you guys about my day. I'm a week into this trip and today I was really hoping to get started on what I'm here to do. :surprised My purpose here is simply to balance the airflow in the HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) system. It should take about a week. All it takes is measuring air flowing from each diffuser (vent) and adjusting it via a damper (valve in a duct). Computer controls on the air handler (big fan) make sure the total airflow of the system is constant, so I only need to adjust each damper once. Simple.

The basic problem is that the constuction isn't finished, so none of the computer control is in place. So while we're adjusting the airflow at each diffuser, the flow properties of the entire system change and we have to manually adjust the whole system via some large system control dampers. And its taken a week to even get to the point where we could do that. We've had a host of small-medium problems.

Today's problem was that we finally thought we were ready to balance the system and manually opened the four large system control dampers. The actuators (motorized controllers) were in various states of existence (there, not there, partially installed and hanging unsupported, etc.), but there isn't any computer to control them anyway, so we manually opened them, which wasn't all that easy since they weren't finished being installed. It pretty much took all morning (there were some other minor issues to deal with too).

Upon returning from lunch, we slowly ramped-up the speed of the two air handlers feeding this system. My boss would say later that doing it slowly was a general precaution and he didn't have any real worries about it. Well, as we ramped up the speed, the ductwork made more noises than it should and eventually, we heard some fairly loud popping noises - the sound of the ductwork bursting at the seams, possibly one of the dampers that didn't have an actuator slamming shut, possibly damaging it. As it turns out, while we were at lunch, someone completed the installation of 3 of the 4 damper actuators and in so doing, closed the dampers. The fans built up the pressure in the ductwork, and the ductwork burst.

Had we just switched on the fans at full speed (two 15 horsepower and two 50 horsepower fans), like we had every reason to believe we could, they may well have blown apart the ductwork so violently that sections of it would have fallen from the ceiling. As it was, my boss had to climb inside a duct to inspect a damper that we thought may have been damaged.

On Friday, we laid out a schedule that had us starting on Sunday. Now, two work-days into that schedule and we are precisely two days behind. Oh, what surprises await us tomorrow....

Attached Files:

16. Apr 25, 2005 #15

Evo

It did look steep. It looks much bigger from a distance.

Do you need to even ask? Post it!!! :tongue2:

Sorry, this is as far as I got, now I will read the rest. :blushing:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  17. Apr 25, 2005 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can't you SuperMentor types approve your own attachments? *taps foot* :uhh: Where's Evo?! *taps foot some more*

While I'm waiting, what was that about a picture without a shirt? Oh, wait, before or after getting tanned? I don't want to be blinded by glowing skin. :biggrin:

Sounds like the job is progressing at a perfect pace to enjoy the scenery a bit longer. I think you did that on purpose to get an extra couple of days in Mexico after I told you there was snow you were missing. :tongue2: Spring returned again today, so you don't have to break anything else to avoid returning. :tongue:

Ah, I see Evo has arrived. :biggrin: :smile: :biggrin:

Oooh, the rugged look! :biggrin: Hey, you definitely shouldn't hide your eyes behind sunglasses so much. (Nifty how you have that little planet just levitating over your palm there too.) Yep, gotta see the shirtless photo now!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  18. Apr 26, 2005 #17

SOS2008

Gold Member

Umm, the scruffy bad-boy look (that Moonbear is into, uh-huh). More pics, less cloths, yeh! :tongue2: :biggrin:

19. Apr 26, 2005 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I do like that look! Actually, what I really like is the guy who can pull off the scruffy bad-boy look as well as can clean up really nicely when he has to (for work or going out for special occassions). :wink:

20. Apr 26, 2005 #19

SOS2008

Gold Member

I know, I took notes earlier...we are in different states though, so no worries about "friendly fire." :rofl: Ah, you can still come out and float in the pool...for a visit... :biggrin:

Russ - More pics, less clothes! :biggrin:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  21. Apr 26, 2005 #20

russ_watters

Hey yeah, we could do before and after pics. Ya know, you'd think with all my supposed intellect, I'd remember to bring sunscreen....

As for tanning, no - I don't really tan. I'm either white, bright red, or dark red (followed shortly by white again).

Today went better. We had some luck finally doing what we came to do. The project is still such a mess though that my boss wants to stay until its finished (he packed for 3 days and may end up being here 3 weeks). I may be coming home this weekend - someone has to watch the store.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?