1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Holder's Inequality for Sums

1. Jun 6, 2009 #1
    I am actually attempting the proof for Minkowski's inequality, but have not gotten that far yet. I am stuck on a step in Holder's inequality, and I have a feeling it's something very simple that I am just overlooking...

I have easily been able to show [tex]ab \leq \frac{a^p}{p} + \frac{b^q}{q}[/tex]

And if [tex]a,b[/tex] are normalized vectors then:

[tex]\sum_k a_k b_k \leq \frac{1}{p}\sum_k {a_k}^p + \frac{1}{q}\sum_k {b_k}^q[/tex]

And I am aware that through normalizing the vectors, I am supposed to be able to deduce the formula for Holder's inequality:

[tex]\sum_k a_k b_k \leq (\sum_k {a_k}^p)^{\frac{1}{p}}(\sum_k {b_k}^q)^{\frac{1}{q}}[/tex]

But I just cannot figure this step out for some reason! Please give me at least a hint... :confused:

Thank you in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2009 #2
    This inequality:
    [tex]\sum_k a_k b_k \leq \frac{1}{p}\sum_k {a_k}^p + \frac{1}{q}\sum_k {b_k}^q[/tex]

holds for all vectors, not just those that are normalized.

Whenever there are several things being added and you want to turn them into a single term, a good strategy is to do whatever it takes to turn the sum into a constant 1. Then after things simplify, bring back in the complexity that you threw away, but now the sum is gone. This happens all the time, and I think there is a deep meaning why it works so much, but I don't know what it is.

In this case, if you restrict ||a||p = 1, and ||b||q = 1, then the equation becomes

[tex]\sum_k a_k b_k \leq 1[/tex]

for a and b normalized like so. Now bring back the complexity for arbitrary vectors x and y,

[tex]\sum_k \frac{x_k}{||x||_p} \frac{y_k}{||y||_q} \leq 1[/tex]

[tex]\sum_k x_k y_k \leq ||x||_p ||y||_q[/tex]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  4. Jun 6, 2009 #3
    Oh wow, okay. That's pretty nice and slick. Thank you!

5. Jun 7, 2009 #4
    Also note that the same exact strategy will prove the integral form.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook