1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Holding up a Cone

1. Sep 14, 2010 #1
    [PLAIN]http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/3941/fingernorm.jpg [Broken]

Because the cone is being held up, I said mg=2fy, where f is the friction force, so mg=2uNcos(x) (where x=theta), and I got N=mg/(2ucos(x)).

The cone also isn't moving from side to side, so I said Nx=fx, so fsin(x)= uNsin(x)=Ncos(x), so u=cot(x), then I replace u in my first equation to get N=mg*tan(x)/(2cos(x))...
    I have a feeling this is wrong though. Help please.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2010 #2
    I think in this case you are safer, and better off, by not rotating your coordinate axis and taking advantage of symmetry.

4. Sep 15, 2010 #3
    I didn't think I did rotate it. But besides that, what is wrong with my solution?

5. Sep 15, 2010 #4
    Is the correct equation 2Nsinx+mg=2uNcosx ? And so N=mg/(2ucosx-2sinx). And so the denominator can't be zero, so u is greater than tanx? This seems right.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  6. Sep 16, 2010 #5
    Ah okay, I'm sorry, I guess I didn't follow everything you did to begin with.

The sum of all forces in y should be

2NµcosØ-2NsinØ-mg=0

In the x directions, we can see from symmetry that everything will cancel out. I can write this one out if you want too, but symmetry makes it trivial.

Yes, the static friction must be greater than tanØ. We know that if Ø=90º then it's impossible to hold the cone.

Edit: Corrected the signs.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  7. Sep 16, 2010 #6
    That's not right... gravity and the normal force are in the negative vertical direction, the only positive vertical contribution is from friction.

Sum of forces in y should be:

2uNcosØ - 2NsinØ - mg = 0
    N(2ucosØ-2sinØ)=mg

8. Sep 16, 2010 #7
    Yeah, that's right. For some reason my head was cloudy this morning.

N=mg/(2µcosØ-2sinØ)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook