1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Holding up a sign

1. Mar 24, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You are holding a sign as shown below. The sign (including the horizontal bar it hangs from) has a mass of 1.80 kg and is 36.5 cm wide. The sign is hanging from a 1.30 m tall, 4.16 kg vertical post. The sign is symmetric with a uniform mass distribution as implied by the drawing.
    Q0vSIDa.png
    What external force (+ if up, - if down) and torque (+ for CCW, - for CW) do you have to apply with your hand to keep the sign in static equilibrium? [Use g = 9.80 m/s2 and ignore the width of the vertical post.]

2. Relevant equations
    Torque = Fd = 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not quite sure how to deal with the vertical stick.
    Torque = F1d1 - F2d2 - Fd3 = 0
    As far as the set up goes, this is all I've got and I don't think it is correct. I may not be visualizing this problem correctly.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2015 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is an external unknown vertical reaction force and an unknown torque at your hand. You should identify these as V and T, respectively. Now apply your equilibrium equations to solve for them. Although explain what F1 ,d1 ,etc. are.

4. Mar 25, 2015 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about starting with a free body diagram?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted