Hole Punched in the Side of Container

In summary: LaTeX Code: \\sqrt{2g(H-h)} now the total time it takes to get to the ground is: LaTeX Code: \\sqrt{\\frac{2(H-h)}{g}} (LaTeX Code: \\sqrt{2gh} is the expression for time to get to the hight H, and we want the time to get to the ground)so the distance from the hole to the ground is:LaTeX Code: \\sqrt{2g(H-h)}*\\sqrt{\\frac{2(H-h)}{g}} = 2(H-h)In summary, the problem involves finding the optimal distance from the bottom of a 20 cm tall container for a hole
science.girl

Homework Statement

A hole is punched in the side of an 20 cm tall container full of water. To maximize horizontal distance of the water, how far from the bottom of the container should the hole be punched?

Homework Equations

??
[tex]\Delta[/tex]y = v0t + .5at2

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem deals with fluid dynamics, but I'm not sure which equation might apply... therefore, I'm not sure how to begin. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
These question deals with Bernoulli which I didn't study yet, but there is another way to solve it.
If you would know the initial speed of the water the comes out from the container,will you be able to solve the question? or it's not the thing that bothers you?
well to get the initial velocity,There is a "non written law" or maybe it's not , anyway:
the initial kinetic energy of the drop equals to the potential energy the drop has in the height the hole was punched.
you can get initial velocity here. now try to get the distance as a function of h, and tell me how it goes, I'll try to guide You from there.
Good Luck

Applying Bernouli's equation find the velocity of the water coming out of the hole.
Initially the velocity is horizontal and it remains constant.. The moves in a projectile motion. Its vertical velocity increases. Find the it takes to reach the floor. The range of the water R is given by the product of horizontal velocity X time it takes to reach the ground. To find the condition for maximum range find dR/dh and equate it to zero.

rl.bhat said:
Applying Bernouli's equation find the velocity of the water coming out of the hole.
Initially the velocity is horizontal and it remains constant.. The moves in a projectile motion. Its vertical velocity increases. Find the it takes to reach the floor. The range of the water R is given by the product of horizontal velocity X time it takes to reach the ground. To find the condition for maximum range find dR/dh and equate it to zero.

I know that Bernoulli's equation is:

P1 + .5[tex]\rho[/tex]v12 + [tex]\rho[/tex]gy1 = P2 + .5[tex]\rho[/tex]v22 + [tex]\rho[/tex]gy2

However, I am given only the height of the container (20cm). Would it be correct to say that
P1 = P2 = P0 and that v2 = O.

Then v1 becomes [tex]\sqrt{2gh}[/tex].

But I still do not know how to determine how far from the bottom of the container the hole should be placed.

(By the way, the course I'm in does not rely on calculus knowledge, so is there a different way to approach this without having to take a derivative?)

The distance form hole to ground is H - h.
Using the formula (H-h) = vot + 0.5gt^2, find the time to reach the water to the ground. Here vo is zero. Then x = v1*t

In projectile motion, when the range is maximum, what is the relation between range and maximum height?
Here x = R/2 and maximum height is (H - h)

Last edited:
science.girl said:
Then v1 becomes [tex]\sqrt{2gh}[/tex].

Oh, wait... do I want to solve for v1? Or is it v2?

Sigh... I still do not know how to determine how far from the bottom of the container the hole should be placed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Hmmm... just got your post, rl.bhat. Will try your suggestion =)
Your help is appreciated.

Last edited:
rl.bhat said:
The distance form hole to ground is H - h.
Using the formula (H-h) = vot + 0.5gt^2, find the time to reach the water to the ground. Here vo is zero. Then x = v1*t

In projectile motion, when the range is maximum, what is the relation between range and maximum height?
Here x = R/2 and maximum height is (H - h)

So:

(H - h) = v0t +.5gt2

v0 = 0

H - h = .5(9.8)t2

h = v1t

H - v1t = .5(9.8)t2

and v1t = [tex]\sqrt{2gh}[/tex]t

Thus:

H - [tex]\sqrt{2gh}[/tex]t = .5(9.8)t2Is this correct?

Now I have two variables: height and time.

The relationship between range and maximum height: typically, wouldn't half of the range be the location of the maximum height? But in this case, we're starting from height h, such that h [tex]\neq[/tex] 0. Edit: Oh, wait! Is it potential energy? PE = mgh?

Last edited:
In the projectile motion, when the range is maximum angle of projection is 45 degree and maximum range is equal to 4* maximum height.
In the problem H - h = 0.5gt^2.
Hence t = [2*(H-h)/g]^1/2
Now x = 2(H-h) = v1*t
Substitute the values of t and v1 and simplify.

Ok... will try that right now.

rl.bhat said:
In the projectile motion, when the range is maximum angle of projection is 45 degree and maximum range is equal to 4* maximum height.
In the problem H - h = 0.5gt^2.
Hence t = [2*(H-h)/g]^1/2
Now x = 2(H-h) = v1*t
Substitute the values of t and v1 and simplify.

If x = v1*t, then:

t = [tex]\sqrt{(v1*t)/g}[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{\sqrt{2gh}t/g}[/tex]

Plugging t into the equation gives:

H - h = .5(9.8)((t[tex]\sqrt{2gh}[/tex])/g)

Correct?

2(H-h) = (2gh)^1/2*[2(H-h)/g]^1/2 = 2[h(H-h)]^1/2
[H-h] = [h(H-h)]^1/2
Now simplify.

rl.bhat said:
2(H-h) = (2gh)^1/2*[2(H-h)/g]^1/2 = 2[h(H-h)]^1/2
[H-h] = [h(H-h)]^1/2
Now simplify.

2(H - h) = 2[tex]\sqrt{h(H - h)}[/tex]

Square both sides:

H2 - 2Hh + h2 = Hh - h2

H2 - 3Hh + 2h2 = 0

Is this ok?

OK. Now solve for h.

science.girl said:
2(H - h) = 2[tex]\sqrt{h(H - h)}[/tex]

Square both sides:

H2 - 2Hh + h2 = Hh - h2

H2 - 3Hh + 2h2 = 0

Is this ok?

If it is ok... then:

(H - h)(H - 2h) = 0

You have the system of equations:

H + h = 20 --> 2H + 2h = 40

H - 2h = 0

3H = 40

H = 40/3 = 13.3

Plug that into get h = 6.7cm?

So, 6.7 is the height from the bottom of the container?

Last edited:
In the problem H = 20 cm = height of the container. h is the height of the hole from the surface of the water.

I think we have to maximize the horizontal distance covered by water with h to get min h

rl.bhat:
Correct me If I'm wrong , It's not a projectile motion, there is no angle, it is "shot" horizontally.
well anyway, My answer is not 6.7.
initial speed = LaTeX Code: \\sqrt{2gh}
now the initial height is : H-h, h is the distance from the top to where the hole is punched.
Using kinematics You should get D(distance)=Vi*Sqrt[2(H-h)/g)]
put Vi to the equation, and you get a function D by h.
Now How will You get the maximum distance of a function of distance??(hint:math! 2 ways to find the h,using derivative or by a law in math, that sqrt(m*n)<=(m+n)/2 always! , and sqrt(m*n)=(m+n)/2 when m=n, where do You see that in our problem?)
Good luck,Tell me how it goes,I hope I'm right anyway :P

Last edited:
Anything "shot" horizontally falls freely under gravity. What is the nature of this motion?

rl.bhat said:
Anything "shot" horizontally falls freely under gravity. What is the nature of this motion?

Well I don't know how It's called, I'm not from the USA , here we divide the motion to a motion with an initial angle and a motion with initial angle =0.
Excuse me if that's what You meant,but You wrote in one of Your post that the maximum distance is in a 45 degrees angle, but where do You see an angle here?

Dweirdo said:
Well I don't know how It's called, I'm not from the USA , here we divide the motion to a motion with an initial angle and a motion with initial angle =0.
Excuse me if that's what You meant,but You wrote in one of Your post that the maximum distance is in a 45 degrees angle, but where do You see an angle here?
At what initial angle of projection the range of an object is maximum? And is there any relation between this maximum range and maximum height?
In the above problem I am referring later half of the motion.

rl.bhat said:
At what initial angle of projection the range of an object is maximum? And is there any relation between this maximum range and maximum height?

I don't think we understand each other, Of course the maximum range is when shot in 45 degrees,but i Don't think that It's related to the problem, The solution I wrote is IMO correct, this is what i think happens in the problem, maybe I understood it Wrong.
What do You think?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 436

1. What causes a hole to be punched in the side of a container?

There are a few possible causes for a hole to be punched in the side of a container. It could be due to a manufacturing defect, damage during shipping or handling, or intentional tampering.

2. Can a hole punched in the side of a container affect the contents inside?

It depends on the type of container and the contents inside. If the hole is small and does not compromise the integrity of the container, it may not have a significant impact on the contents. However, if the hole is large or the container is meant to be air or water-tight, the contents may be affected.

3. How can I prevent a hole from being punched in the side of my container?

To prevent a hole from being punched in the side of a container, it is important to handle and store the container properly. Avoid dropping or mishandling the container, and make sure to use appropriate packaging and padding when shipping or transporting it. Also, be cautious of potential tampering and inspect the container before use.

4. Is it safe to use a container with a hole punched in the side?

If the contents inside the container are not affected and the hole does not compromise the integrity of the container, it may still be safe to use. However, it is important to assess the potential risks and use caution when using a container with a hole punched in the side.

5. How can I repair a hole punched in the side of a container?

The best way to repair a hole in a container depends on the material and size of the hole. For small holes in plastic containers, adhesive tape or patching with a plastic patch can be effective. For larger holes, it may be necessary to replace the entire container. Consult the manufacturer or a professional for specific repair instructions.