1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hole through earth

1. Jan 25, 2010 #1
    Hi,
    i am preparing for a test and i really have no idea how to solve the following question.
    i would appreciate if some one could give me the direction of solution explaining why things should be done the way the should. i am really clueless here.

The residents of a small planet have bored a hole straight through its center as part of a communications system. The hole has been filled with a tube and the air has been pumped out of the tube to virtually eliminate friction. Messages are passed back and forth by dropping packets through the tube. The planet has a density of 3820 kg/m3, and it has a radius of R=5.31E+6 m.

What is the speed of the message packet as it passes a point a distance of 0.480R from the center of the planet?

How long does it take for a message to pass from one side of the planet to the other?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi zhenyazh! :smile:

What is the gravitational acceleration at radius r inside the planet?

If it's g(r), then d2r/dt2 = -g(r). :wink:

4. Jan 25, 2010 #3
    thanks for your response but i still don't get it.
    can u give a more detailed explanantion?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook