Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Holiday gifts for girlfriend

1. Feb 15, 2008 #1
    My girlfriend of several years is mad I didn't get her anything again.

I don't get her anything for holidays ever.

I do show her love and respect and buy her things other times of the year.

She's always gotten me gifts/flowers/clothes/ect during the holidays and also not during the holidays but she's given up.

Who is right or wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2008 #2

ShawnD

Science Advisor

YOU ARE WRONG

Go buy her something. Now.

4. Feb 15, 2008 #3
    She is also my cook, masseuse and housekeeper.

P.S.- don't tell her that! *lol*

5. Feb 15, 2008 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Must not bother her too much if she's stuck with you for several years. :biggrin:

You can ask her if she wants to get gifts only on a few days of the year, or if she'd like you to show you love her every day of the year.

But, I guess the bottom line is if she's upset about it, it means she would like gifts for holidays, so perhaps you should stop giving her gifts other times of the year and give them on holidays. Or, perhaps she's not getting the point of a relationship isn't to acquire gifts, but to spend time with the person she loves and who loves her back, and you can do what you want with that information.

6. Feb 15, 2008 #5
    Rule #1. She is always right.
    Rule #2. When she is wrong, refer to rule #1.
    My wife gave me a box of chocolates. I gave her the empty box from last year so she could fill it again.

7. Feb 15, 2008 #6

Danger

Gold Member

:rofl::rofl:
    I never give W candy, since she's diabetic (and I was until about 15 years ago). So this year she gave me a box of chocolates in a Harley jacket. Seriously, I've never seen such a thing before. It's a heart-shaped box wearing a leather jacket with a functional zipper. Too cool! You can bet that it's going onto the display shelf even after I've emptied it.

8. Feb 15, 2008 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It sort of comes down to what you care more about: your girlfriend, or yourself. Her needs versus your "principles".

Deep in her hindbrain, she wants to know that if the two of you are stranded on a desert island, you won't leave her on the beach to starve while you chow down on turtle eggs.

9. Feb 15, 2008 #8

Danger

Gold Member

Yeah, there are compromises to be made, most of which I vehemently denied that I would ever participate in... until W came along. We've had a ****ing X-mas tree in our home for a couple of years in a row. :eek: Even worse, she has little Jesus things all over the place. Luckily, I totally don't notice them due to my internal BS filter.

10. Feb 16, 2008 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

See now, there's a big compromise. She's agreed to stick it out with you, even though you're going to ditch her in the afterlife.

11. Feb 16, 2008 #10
    Well, till death do us part, right?

12. Feb 16, 2008 #11

wolram

Gold Member

The best gift to give a woman is less work to do, you do the washing up or even vacuum
    and she will love you for it.

13. Feb 16, 2008 #12
    Dude, bad idea. You give her an inch, she'll take a mile. Next thing you know, she's expecting you to clean up after yourself, pick out your own clothes for the day, and even flush the toilet.

14. Feb 16, 2008 #13

Danger

Gold Member

There is a point there, with regard to most women that I know. W is exactly the opposite. The only times that I have to reprimand her about something are when she does the dishes. That's supposed to be my job, and it's about the only thing that I can do. Still, if I turn my back for five minutes... I have to swat her away from the sink at least a couple of times a week.

15. Feb 16, 2008 #14

Danger

Gold Member

That's equivalent to saying that I'm going to ditch her when the radioactive mutant celery from Venus invades the Earth.

16. Feb 16, 2008 #15
    Why? Do you have some sort of anti-celery gun or something? Or are you just better than normal, celery-fearing men?

17. Feb 16, 2008 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: that made me snort.

18. Feb 16, 2008 #17

Danger

Gold Member

Both. :approve:

19. Feb 16, 2008 #18
    I don't think there is a standard "likes-the-most" gift to friends, spouse, kids. Everybody is different.

Coming to think about it, the most precious gift is probably time.

Think before asking.

20. Feb 16, 2008 #19

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It is 11:25PM.

I am a loving, loving man.

21. Feb 17, 2008 #20
    I wouldnt buy her something, but I would do something nice for her, like a romantic night out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?