Are romantic gestures enough for holiday gifts?

• Thread starter O Great One
  • Start date
In summary, your girlfriend is mad because you didn't get her anything for holiday gifts this year, and you say that it comes down to what you care more about: her needs versus your "principles". You say that there is a point where most women are like this, and that you have to reprimand her about things like doing the dishes. You also say that if you turn your back for five minutes, you have to swat her away from the sink at least a couple of times a week.
O Great One
My girlfriend of several years is mad I didn't get her anything again.

I don't get her anything for holidays ever.

I do show her love and respect and buy her things other times of the year.

She's always gotten me gifts/flowers/clothes/ect during the holidays and also not during the holidays but she's given up.

Who is right or wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
YOU ARE WRONG

Go buy her something. Now.

She is also my cook, masseuse and housekeeper.

P.S.- don't tell her that! *lol*

Must not bother her too much if she's stuck with you for several years. :biggrin:

You can ask her if she wants to get gifts only on a few days of the year, or if she'd like you to show you love her every day of the year.

But, I guess the bottom line is if she's upset about it, it means she would like gifts for holidays, so perhaps you should stop giving her gifts other times of the year and give them on holidays. Or, perhaps she's not getting the point of a relationship isn't to acquire gifts, but to spend time with the person she loves and who loves her back, and you can do what you want with that information.

O Great One said:
Who is right or wrong?
Rule #1. She is always right.
Rule #2. When she is wrong, refer to rule #1.
My wife gave me a box of chocolates. I gave her the empty box from last year so she could fill it again.

jimmysnyder said:
My wife gave me a box of chocolates. I gave her the empty box from last year so she could fill it again.

:rofl::rofl:
I never give W candy, since she's diabetic (and I was until about 15 years ago). So this year she gave me a box of chocolates in a Harley jacket. Seriously, I've never seen such a thing before. It's a heart-shaped box wearing a leather jacket with a functional zipper. Too cool! You can bet that it's going onto the display shelf even after I've emptied it.

O Great One said:

It sort of comes down to what you care more about: your girlfriend, or yourself. Her needs versus your "principles".

Deep in her hindbrain, she wants to know that if the two of you are stranded on a desert island, you won't leave her on the beach to starve while you chow down on turtle eggs.

Yeah, there are compromises to be made, most of which I vehemently denied that I would ever participate in... until W came along. We've had a ****ing X-mas tree in our home for a couple of years in a row. :eek: Even worse, she has little Jesus things all over the place. Luckily, I totally don't notice them due to my internal BS filter.

Danger said:
Even worse, she has little Jesus things all over the place. Luckily, I totally don't notice them due to my internal BS filter.
See now, there's a big compromise. She's agreed to stick it out with you, even though you're going to ditch her in the afterlife.

Well, till death do us part, right?

The best gift to give a woman is less work to do, you do the washing up or even vacuum
and she will love you for it.

wolram said:
The best gift to give a woman is less work to do, you do the washing up or even vacuum
and she will love you for it.

Dude, bad idea. You give her an inch, she'll take a mile. Next thing you know, she's expecting you to clean up after yourself, pick out your own clothes for the day, and even flush the toilet.

Poop-Loops said:
Dude, bad idea. You give her an inch, she'll take a mile. Next thing you know, she's expecting you to clean up after yourself, pick out your own clothes for the day, and even flush the toilet.

There is a point there, with regard to most women that I know. W is exactly the opposite. The only times that I have to reprimand her about something are when she does the dishes. That's supposed to be my job, and it's about the only thing that I can do. Still, if I turn my back for five minutes... I have to swat her away from the sink at least a couple of times a week.

DaveC426913 said:
even though you're going to ditch her in the afterlife.
That's equivalent to saying that I'm going to ditch her when the radioactive mutant celery from Venus invades the Earth.

Why? Do you have some sort of anti-celery gun or something? Or are you just better than normal, celery-fearing men?

Poop-Loops said:

:rofl: that made me snort.

Poop-Loops said:
Why? Do you have some sort of anti-celery gun or something? Or are you just better than normal, celery-fearing men?

Both. :approve:

I don't think there is a standard "likes-the-most" gift to friends, spouse, kids. Everybody is different.

Coming to think about it, the most precious gift is probably time.

Think before asking.

Andre said:
Coming to think about it, the most precious gift is probably time.
It is 11:25PM.

I am a loving, loving man.

O Great One said:

She's always gotten me gifts/flowers/clothes/ect during the holidays and also not during the holidays but she's given up.

Who is right or wrong?

I wouldn't buy her something, but I would do something nice for her, like a romantic night out.

What are some unique holiday gift ideas for my girlfriend?

The best unique holiday gift ideas for your girlfriend will depend on her interests and hobbies. Some ideas could include personalized jewelry, a subscription box for her favorite hobby, a cooking class, a cozy throw blanket, or a spa gift basket.

What are some budget-friendly gift options for my girlfriend?

There are many budget-friendly gift options for your girlfriend, such as a homemade gift, a thoughtful handwritten card, a photo album or scrapbook, a cute mug with her favorite tea or coffee, or a movie night gift basket.

What are some luxurious gift options for my girlfriend?

Some luxurious gift options for your girlfriend could include a designer handbag, a spa day or weekend getaway, a fancy dinner at a nice restaurant, a high-end skincare or makeup set, or a personalized gift from a luxury brand.

How can I choose a meaningful gift for my girlfriend?

The key to choosing a meaningful gift for your girlfriend is to think about her interests, memories you have shared together, and what she values. Consider giving a gift that represents a special moment or inside joke between the two of you, or a gift that aligns with her values or goals.

What are some practical gift ideas for my girlfriend?

Some practical gift ideas for your girlfriend could include a stylish yet functional planner, a cozy robe or slippers, a portable phone charger, a coffee or tea set, or a nice water bottle or thermos for her daily use.