Constructing a Hollow Glass Prism for Science Experiment

In summary: But what about the angle of refraction with air?In summary, the speaker made a hollow prism for a science exhibition to find the refractive indices of different fluids. The prism was made using 3 rectangular pieces of glass with a hollow part in the middle. The speaker was able to successfully measure the refractive index of water as 1.33. However, when asked how they would account for the error in the angle of refraction due to using thick glass, the speaker was unsure and mentioned that glass is amorphous. They measured the angle of incidence to be 90 degrees and then measured the angle of refraction without anything in the middle of the prism, and found a difference of 1 degree. They multiplied this by
croslali arno
i have recently made a hollow prism for my science exhibition in my school ... to find refractive indices of fluids.

i made it using 3 rectangular pieces of glass (0.5cm) on a glass triangular base ..with obviously a hollow part in the middle
it worked perfectly fine with water i got n=1.33
then my sir came ahead and asked me a question ... how do you find the error in the angle of refraction due to using the thick glass ... i didnt know ..
this is where i reached .. glass is amorphous
so i measured the angle of incidence to be 90 degrees and then i measured the angle of refraction(without anything in the middle of the prism)
i found the difference (which is 1 degree) and multiplied by 2 (as i just found error of 1 glass.)
is my theory correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
This looks like the measurement uncertainty for angles. The glass will influence the measurement if it does not have the same thickness everywhere, but with an angle of incidence of 90 degrees I don't see how you want to see that.

What did you get as refractive index for air?

i think i got my answer my theory was just wrong ...
the

@mfb
mfb said:
This looks like the measurement uncertainty for angles. The glass will influence the measurement if it does not have the same thickness everywhere, but with an angle of incidence of 90 degrees I don't see how you want to see that.

What did you get as refractive index for air?
i know where i went wrong ... actually you can't find the error of the hollow prism .. it is just like you have a very small glass prism in a water/liquid prism .. the error in the measurement of r will be different for each case

IF the glass sides have flat, parallel sides, how much would you expect the angle to be changed by passing through them, with air on both sides? Apply Snell's law at each surface. It would be very easy to calculate the result for a small angle between the faces - Snell's law again. What error can you permit in your overall measurements?

it would differ for different angle of incidences ... because it is a sine proportion ...

croslali arno said:
it would differ for different angle of incidences ... because it is a sine proportion ...
Why, if the faces are parallel? Angle r for the first face is the same as angle i for the second face.
Why would this not apply?

okay guys ... i figured it out
i think there will be no error ..
thank you sophiecentaur
it is because the angle of incidence will be the same as angle of refraction on face 1 as well as face 2 .
there will be lateral deviation but we don't actually need that ...
our aim is the angle of incidence and the angle of emergence and we get that ...
this is the pic of my prism if you want to see it
DSC00815.JPG

You should find this an interesting exercise. Of course, the method is full of possible imperfections and sources of error but you should get a good ball park figure for water and some other liquids. It could be interesting to see how the result changes when the path through the prism is symmetrical and when it's not. How do you plan to plot the ray paths?

we have a soft wood board and pins .. the classic good ol' lab ways.
thanks how do i close this thread?

Just stop writing - it will slowly sink to the bottom!:)
Good old board and pins. I don't think the glass thickness will affect your accuracy too much.

1. How do I construct a hollow glass prism for a science experiment?

To construct a hollow glass prism for a science experiment, you will need a glass tube or rod, a heat source, and a diamond glass cutter. First, measure and mark the desired length of your prism on the glass tube or rod. Then, use the glass cutter to score along the marked lines. Once the score lines are deep enough, use the heat source to gently heat the glass along the score lines until it starts to break apart. Finally, use sandpaper to smooth any rough edges and clean the inside of the prism before use.

2. What type of glass should I use for a hollow glass prism?

The best type of glass to use for a hollow glass prism is borosilicate glass, also known as Pyrex. This type of glass is heat-resistant and has a low coefficient of expansion, making it less likely to crack or break during the construction process. It is also clear and has a high refractive index, making it ideal for use in experiments involving light refraction.

3. How can I ensure that my hollow glass prism is free of air bubbles?

To ensure that your hollow glass prism is free of air bubbles, it is important to thoroughly clean the inside of the prism before use. You can do this by rinsing it with distilled water and then filling it with a mixture of water and rubbing alcohol. Gently swirl the mixture inside the prism to remove any air bubbles, and then pour it out and let the prism dry completely before use.

4. Can I use a hollow glass prism for experiments involving other types of light besides visible light?

Yes, you can use a hollow glass prism for experiments involving other types of light, such as ultraviolet or infrared light. However, it is important to note that different types of glass have different refractive indexes, so you may need to adjust your experiment accordingly. Additionally, make sure to use a glass that is transparent to the type of light you are using.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when constructing a hollow glass prism?

Yes, when constructing a hollow glass prism, it is important to wear protective gloves and eyewear to prevent injury from broken glass. It is also recommended to work in a well-ventilated area, as the fumes from the heat source and glass can be harmful. Lastly, always handle the glass with care and dispose of any broken pieces properly.