Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Hollow Sphere

1. Dec 14, 2006 #1
    How do I get rid of infinitesimal mass element dm?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

I assume you're trying to derive the moment of inertia of a hollow sphere, but you should really be more specific when posting questions.

4. Dec 14, 2006 #3
    I am not determining the moment of inertia. I didn't specify what I was doing because I just wish to know of to solve this particularly problem. How to get rid of dm?

5. Dec 14, 2006 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your differential mass is the rate of change in the mass. It will depend on the object's density (g/cm^3, kg/m^3, etc).

In your case, you have a hollow sphere, so the mass will change in relation to the area (assuming the sphere has an infinitely small thickness). That would be g/cm^2, kg/m^2, etc.

That should allow you to change your variable to dr, the differential radius, since the volume and/or the area will depend upon the radius.

6. Dec 14, 2006 #5
    But I need the constant sigma M/A (equivalent to density) which I do not know.

7. Dec 14, 2006 #6
    Maybe Integrate? I don't really understand your problem.

8. Dec 14, 2006 #7
    I need to [tex]\int dm[/tex] for a spherical shell.

9. Dec 14, 2006 #8

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look at the thread that started this.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook