Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hollywood SFX 'explosions'

1. Apr 10, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Does anyone know how hollywood makes it look like a bullet hit... whatever it hit? I know they use blood packets for when it hits bodies but lets say a bullet 'hits' a box, you see a big puff of debris come out where the bullet entered (not even what happens in real life right?).. how od htey do this? And how do htey make sparks where a bullet supposedly hit a peace of metal?

If anyone goes to fileplanet much or is interested in Max Payne, someone did a tribute for it called "Hero" which had a lot of crazy special effects for bullets and it seemed kinda low-budget... stuff like that is hella interesting to me

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2005 #2
    A bullet doesn't cause a cloud of debris when it hits piece of drywall(have you ever handled a piece of that stuff), or cause sparks when it hits a piece of metal? Thats news to me.

As for "Hero", this wouldn't be the same movie with Jet Li in it, would it?

4. Apr 11, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I know its BS but i wanna make some small movies and obviously, dont care to be scientifiaclly accurate lol.

And no, it was a 5 minute parady of Max Payne the game (but yes Hero is that Jet Li movie). It was really awesome and was done by a bunch of students. The quality was absolutely 100% hollywood movie quality though!

5. Apr 11, 2005 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

What you want are "squibs" - Google it (in conjunction with "bullet special effects").

Squibs are sort of firecrackers, previously hidden where the bullets are supposed to hit, that make itty-bitty explosions when triggered off-screen.

Um, this falls in the realm of pyrotechnics, and you should not attempt this without a trained pyrotechnician, that is, unless you have eyes and fingers to spare.

6. Apr 11, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I have friends eyes adn fingers to spare ;) But yah... doubt id ever do anything and if i did, id get someone who knows what there doing to set it up.

7. Apr 12, 2005 #6

JesseM

Science Advisor

I think so-crates was saying the opposite, that real bullets do make puffs of debris when hitting drywall or sparks when hitting metal.

8. Apr 12, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Oh pff, miscommunication. I didnt say drywall but i did say how the bullet sparks when it hits a wall. The thing with the box is that the boxes you get most things in, those generic fold up types (nothing special like styrophone or multi-layer), a bullet should just punch a small hole in it. If you guys had ever seen the video im talken about, a bullet hits this plain old ordinary box and a huge puff of smoke and debris come out where teh bullet was and it just seems so unrealistic. As far as the bullets hitting a piece of metal... the sparks in the video seemed too unrealistic to be the real spark effect.

But yah, i totally wanna do some cool movie like that :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?