1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hollywood SFX 'explosions'

1. Apr 10, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Does anyone know how hollywood makes it look like a bullet hit... whatever it hit? I know they use blood packets for when it hits bodies but lets say a bullet 'hits' a box, you see a big puff of debris come out where the bullet entered (not even what happens in real life right?).. how od htey do this? And how do htey make sparks where a bullet supposedly hit a peace of metal?

If anyone goes to fileplanet much or is interested in Max Payne, someone did a tribute for it called "Hero" which had a lot of crazy special effects for bullets and it seemed kinda low-budget... stuff like that is hella interesting to me

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2005 #2
    A bullet doesn't cause a cloud of debris when it hits piece of drywall(have you ever handled a piece of that stuff), or cause sparks when it hits a piece of metal? Thats news to me.

As for "Hero", this wouldn't be the same movie with Jet Li in it, would it?

4. Apr 11, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I know its BS but i wanna make some small movies and obviously, dont care to be scientifiaclly accurate lol.

And no, it was a 5 minute parady of Max Payne the game (but yes Hero is that Jet Li movie). It was really awesome and was done by a bunch of students. The quality was absolutely 100% hollywood movie quality though!

5. Apr 11, 2005 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

What you want are "squibs" - Google it (in conjunction with "bullet special effects").

Squibs are sort of firecrackers, previously hidden where the bullets are supposed to hit, that make itty-bitty explosions when triggered off-screen.

Um, this falls in the realm of pyrotechnics, and you should not attempt this without a trained pyrotechnician, that is, unless you have eyes and fingers to spare.

6. Apr 11, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I have friends eyes adn fingers to spare ;) But yah... doubt id ever do anything and if i did, id get someone who knows what there doing to set it up.

7. Apr 12, 2005 #6

JesseM

Science Advisor

I think so-crates was saying the opposite, that real bullets do make puffs of debris when hitting drywall or sparks when hitting metal.

8. Apr 12, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Oh pff, miscommunication. I didnt say drywall but i did say how the bullet sparks when it hits a wall. The thing with the box is that the boxes you get most things in, those generic fold up types (nothing special like styrophone or multi-layer), a bullet should just punch a small hole in it. If you guys had ever seen the video im talken about, a bullet hits this plain old ordinary box and a huge puff of smoke and debris come out where teh bullet was and it just seems so unrealistic. As far as the bullets hitting a piece of metal... the sparks in the video seemed too unrealistic to be the real spark effect.

But yah, i totally wanna do some cool movie like that :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?