Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hologram question

1. Nov 17, 2009 #1
    Someone I know has asked about a certain property of holograms which he said he was shown while he was in school, but i can't figure out why the property should be true.

He says that he once saw a video of a demonstration where a light (presumably a laser) was shone through a hologram, and the image could be seen on the wall behind the hologram.

This doesn't seem to make sense to me. I thought that a lens would be needed to resolve the image onto a screen.

Any help is appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A hologram can act like a lens.
    The pattern on the wall isn't strictly speaking an image, you can produce a hologram which will create pretty much any pattern of outgoing light rays when you shine a laser through it.
    That's how the add-on lenses for laser pointers that project a line or star or other shapes work - they are holograms.

4. Nov 17, 2009 #3
    I'm still confused. Is this just like if I have say, a stars shaped object that happens to send light out from every point, then if I look at a wall next to it, I will see a blurry star?

5. Nov 17, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, the hologram splits the incoming laser beam and sends out copies of the beam at different angles.
    If you get the arragement of the angles right they make a pattern on the wall.
    It's not an image because it makes the same pattern although at a different scale at different distances.

If you prefer you can think of the hologram as being a grid of little mirrors (or prisms) each bending the incoming light in a particular direction

6. Nov 17, 2009 #5
    Okay and the pattern you see on the wall looks like the three dimensional thing that you see when you look into the hologram?

7. Nov 17, 2009 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No it's just a 2d pattern of points.
    You generally can't see anything looking into this kind of hologram - it's not the same effect as projecting a transmission hologram.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook