Holographic projector? Any idea how it works?

In summary: I have been following this topic for some time and I would love to hear your thoughts.In summary, this projector is able to project holographic images into the air. It appears to be a very interesting concept, but I am not sure if it really works as described. I would like to see more progress made in this area, as I believe it has the potential to offer many benefits.
check
“Holographic” projector? Any idea how it works?

I saw this a couple of years ago. It’s a projector that’s able to display 2D images or simulated 3D video into the air. Here’s the manufacturer’s site: http://www.io2technology.com/
The site has a few really neat videos.
Any idea how this is done?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hmmm...maybe this should be moved to 'general technology'

My understanding (which may not be correct) is that they spray a water mist to provide the dispersion needed to create an image. It may not have to be water, but there has to be some particulate to make it possible to see an image.

At first I thought tahts what it did. I read about some company that made a projector that did just that, with water mist and teh like. This, however claims that
Air comes into the device, is modified then ejected and illuminated to produce the image. Nothing is added to the air so there isn`t any harmful gas or liquid emitted from the device, and nothing needs to be refilled. Operating the device will not change a room`s environment, air quality or other conditions. If a Heliodisplay were left running for a week in a hermetically sealed room, the only change to the room`s environment would be from the electricity used to run the device.

So it doesn't sound like mist to me.

It seems pretty neat whatever it is, if I had 20 Grand that I had to spend on something... I might consider it...

I just want them to hurry up and get a patent so they can tell us how it works!

PS, here's a direct link to a video incase people are too lazy to look for one.
http://www.io2technology.com/dojo/178/watch.avi
There are other's too.

Last edited by a moderator:
LoL. funny we should have posted the same thing within a few hours of each other given that there hasn't been anything in the news about this in over a year. lol

Well, since this is already in the GT forum, and this threads newer, mods feel free to delete this one.

The optical effect described is interesting; however, I believe it is overstated. When I looked at a photograph which was supposed to show the image occurring in the center of a room, the first suspicious thing was that the image occurred within the limits of a screen hanging on the back wall of the room.

If the screen is made up of tiny corner reflectors it will be possible to create the illusion that the image is in the middle of the room. The corner reflector screens are similar to a refined version of a plastic reflector made for the back of a bicycle. Unlike a plane mirror which will reflect a beam of light away from the source, the corner reflector screen will always reflect light back to the source. If an object is illuminated in front of the screen, an image will be created in the same location as the source. It is then only necessary to use a sheet of glass set at an angle to separate the image from the source and give the illusion that the image is suspended in space.

Incidentally, there is a second type of screen which will give the same effect. The backing used for road signs will light up at night in the beam of your headlight because the light is primarily reflected back to the source. The light of your headlights is reflected back to your eyes, sometimes with uncomfortable brilliance.
The reflecting screens are made of tiny glass balls stuck to a white plastic backing. Each of the tiny balls acts as a lens focusing incoming light onto the white backing. That glowing spot of light passing back through the lens creates a reciprocal beam of light back to the source.

Jan 1. 2005

I am new to PF and I am not sure who will read this message, but feel ot is important to communicate this following set of ideas quickly. This is in direct response to the Heliodisplay system from website www.io2technology.com.

I have been working on a similar system for a long time now, because I wanted certain things to be done with it. I call this concept - new tools for new jobs - it is very possible that this system or somthing like it, will provide a way to look at information to the point where it can be scanned rather than read - to speed things up.

The evolution of information displays and the thinking behind them may offer more considerations and better use of information - that may help with Physics and other applications.

I would like to see more progress be made in this area. I am concerned that some information of how our own planet works - has never been taken into proper forms of consideration - and we are missing out.

New tools for new jobs - such as taking on the form of consideration using somthing like the Heliodisplay for looking at information - energy etc. - that our own planet produces, may be the start of exploration for some usefull ends and development.

Thanks for reading - Vince L. Harden

The subject display (I assume that it is real) appears more likely stereoscopic than holographic.

A true holograph (of a three dimensional object) is three dimensional, not simulated. It doesn't require "ionized air" or anything else like that (in fact it can be produced in the vacuum of outer space). The image is generated from interference patterns.

KM

(be back with more later.)

1. What is a holographic projector?

A holographic projector is a device that creates a three-dimensional image or hologram by using light diffraction patterns. It works by projecting light onto a screen or surface that reflects and diffracts the light, creating the illusion of a 3D image.

2. How does a holographic projector work?

A holographic projector works by using a laser or other light source to produce a coherent beam of light. This beam is then split into two beams by a beam splitter, with one beam being directed towards the object and the other being directed towards the recording medium. The light from the object is reflected off the object and interferes with the reference beam on the recording medium, creating a hologram. The hologram can then be illuminated with a laser to recreate the original object as a 3D image.

3. What is the difference between a holographic projector and a regular projector?

A regular projector projects a 2D image onto a flat surface, while a holographic projector creates a 3D image that appears to float in space. A regular projector uses a lens to focus the light, while a holographic projector uses diffraction to create the image. Additionally, a holographic projector requires a specialized recording medium, such as holographic film, to capture and recreate the hologram.

4. Can a holographic projector display moving images?

Yes, a holographic projector can display moving images. However, the holographic film or medium must be able to capture and recreate the images at a fast enough rate to create the illusion of motion. This can be achieved by using a high-speed recording medium or by using a computer-generated hologram.

5. Are there any practical applications for holographic projectors?

Yes, there are many practical applications for holographic projectors. They are commonly used in entertainment and advertising industries for creating eye-catching displays and presentations. They also have potential applications in medical imaging, 3D mapping and navigation, and virtual and augmented reality technologies.