1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Holomorphic = Analytic

1. Aug 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is a real holomorphic function which is not analytic?

2. Relevant equations
    Theorem from complex analysis: holomorphic functions and analytic functions are the same.
    Definition 1: A holomorphic function is infinitely differentiable.
    Definition 2: An analytic function is locally given by a convergent power series.

3. The attempt at a solution

I think one answer is [tex]e^{\frac{-1}{x^2}}[/tex]. The function can be differentiated by the chain rule as many times as desired (so it is holomorphic) but has a Taylor series with all coefficients equal to zero (so it is not analytic).

However, I wonder about the complex-valued function [tex]e^{\frac{-1}{z^2}}[/tex]. Does it not have the same problem? That is to say, how can we show that it is consistent with the holomorphic-analytic equivalence theorem if (1) we can differentiate it infinitely many times but (2) it's Taylor series has all coefficients equal to zero?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2010 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the complex plane it's no longer continuous, let alone differentiable. Consider values near zero: for real values x that are near zero, your exponent is going to be close to negative infinity. Imagine for your value of z though you pick something like i/100000. Now your exponent is close to positive infinity, and we see that the function isn't even continuous

4. Aug 27, 2010 #3
    I completely overlooked that, and it was really bothering me for a long time, but it makes a lot of sense now! Thank you so much office_shredder! :)

5. Aug 27, 2010 #4
    yup, e^(-1/z^2) has an essential pole at z=0.
    problem with the limit near the singularity. it does not behave well at that singularity at all !
    it has a Laurent series representation - Analytic part (the Taylor series) and the Essential part.
    so it is not a Entire function, it is not differentiable near z=0.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook