Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Holomorphic Quotient Maps on Projective Space

1. Sep 25, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex] \mathbb{CP}^n [/itex] be n-dimensional complex projective space, and let [itex] \pi: \mathbb C^{n+1}\setminus\{0\} \to \mathbb{CP}^n [/itex] be the quotient map taking [itex] \pi(z_1,\ldots,z_{n+1}) = [z_1,\ldots,z_{n+1}] [/itex] where the square brackets represent the equivalence class of lines through this point.

Show that [itex] \pi [/itex] is smooth.

3. The attempt at a solution

There's no doubt in my mind I can do this, once I verify what the question is asking me to do. Here's my rationale, but I'm not sure if it's correct.

Since we've claimed that [itex] \mathbb{CP}^n [/itex] is n-dimensional, we must be considering it with a complex structure rather than a real structure. This means that, as a smooth manifold, it is sufficient to show that its composition with any coordinate chart is smooth. That is, [itex] \phi_i \circ \pi : \mathbb{C}^{n+1}\setminus\{0\} \to \mathbb C^n [/itex] is smooth, where
    [tex] \phi_i([z_1,\ldots, z_{n+1}]) = \left( \frac{z_1}{z_i}, \ldots, \frac{z_{i-1}}{z_i}, \frac{z_{i+1}}{z_i}, \ldots, \frac{z_{n+1}}{z_i} \right) [/tex]
    with domain [itex] z_i > 0 [/itex].

Okay, so assuming that's correct, we want to show that this function is smooth. But what is "smooth" in this context? I can't ever recall talking about "smooth" complex functions, only holomorphic/analytic complex function. Is it sufficient to show this is holomorphic, or do I need more?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted