Holomorphic Quotient Maps on Projective Space

In summary, a holomorphic quotient map is a surjective function that preserves the holomorphic structure of a complex manifold by identifying points in the same orbit of a group action. Projective space is a geometric concept that extends Euclidean space to include points at infinity and is often used in algebraic geometry. Holomorphic quotient maps are used in projective space to simplify its geometry and topology. They have various applications in mathematics and physics, but may not always preserve all geometric properties and can be difficult to construct in certain cases.
Kreizhn

Homework Statement

Let [itex] \mathbb{CP}^n [/itex] be n-dimensional complex projective space, and let [itex] \pi: \mathbb C^{n+1}\setminus\{0\} \to \mathbb{CP}^n [/itex] be the quotient map taking [itex] \pi(z_1,\ldots,z_{n+1}) = [z_1,\ldots,z_{n+1}] [/itex] where the square brackets represent the equivalence class of lines through this point.

Show that [itex] \pi [/itex] is smooth.

The Attempt at a Solution

There's no doubt in my mind I can do this, once I verify what the question is asking me to do. Here's my rationale, but I'm not sure if it's correct.

Since we've claimed that [itex] \mathbb{CP}^n [/itex] is n-dimensional, we must be considering it with a complex structure rather than a real structure. This means that, as a smooth manifold, it is sufficient to show that its composition with any coordinate chart is smooth. That is, [itex] \phi_i \circ \pi : \mathbb{C}^{n+1}\setminus\{0\} \to \mathbb C^n [/itex] is smooth, where
[tex] \phi_i([z_1,\ldots, z_{n+1}]) = \left( \frac{z_1}{z_i}, \ldots, \frac{z_{i-1}}{z_i}, \frac{z_{i+1}}{z_i}, \ldots, \frac{z_{n+1}}{z_i} \right) [/tex]
with domain [itex] z_i > 0 [/itex].

Okay, so assuming that's correct, we want to show that this function is smooth. But what is "smooth" in this context? I can't ever recall talking about "smooth" complex functions, only holomorphic/analytic complex function. Is it sufficient to show this is holomorphic, or do I need more?

Physics news on Phys.org

I would first clarify the question with the person who posted it to make sure I understand what they are asking. It seems like they are asking for a proof that the map \pi : \mathbb{C}^{n+1}\setminus\{0\} \to \mathbb{CP}^n is a smooth map between smooth manifolds. In this context, "smooth" means that the map is infinitely differentiable. This is different from holomorphic/analytic functions, which are specifically functions on complex manifolds. In this case, we are working with a map between smooth manifolds, not just complex functions.

To prove that the map \pi is smooth, we need to show that it is infinitely differentiable. This means that for any point p \in \mathbb{C}^{n+1}\setminus\{0\}, the composition \phi_i \circ \pi is smooth at p , where \phi_i is the coordinate chart given in the question. This can be done by showing that all partial derivatives of \phi_i \circ \pi are continuous at p .

In summary, to prove that the map \pi is smooth, we need to show that for any point p \in \mathbb{C}^{n+1}\setminus\{0\}, the composition \phi_i \circ \pi is smooth at p , meaning that all partial derivatives of \phi_i \circ \pi are continuous at p .

1. What is a holomorphic quotient map?

A holomorphic quotient map is a type of function that maps one complex manifold onto another by identifying points that lie in the same orbit of a given group action. It is a surjective map that preserves the holomorphic structure of the manifold.

2. What is projective space?

Projective space is a mathematical concept that extends the idea of Euclidean space to include points at infinity. It is a space in which parallel lines intersect at a single point and all lines intersect at infinity. In algebraic geometry, projective space is often used to study the properties of polynomial equations.

3. How are holomorphic quotient maps used in projective space?

Holomorphic quotient maps are used in projective space to study the geometry and topology of the space. They allow for the identification of points and thus reduce the complexity of the space, making it easier to study and analyze.

4. What are some applications of holomorphic quotient maps on projective space?

Holomorphic quotient maps on projective space have various applications in mathematics and physics. They are used in algebraic geometry to study the geometry of projective varieties and in complex analysis to study the behavior of holomorphic functions. They also have applications in string theory and other areas of theoretical physics.

5. Are there any limitations to using holomorphic quotient maps on projective space?

One limitation of using holomorphic quotient maps on projective space is that they may not always preserve all the geometric properties of the original space. Additionally, the construction of these maps can be quite difficult in certain cases, making them challenging to use in practice.