Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hom much to begin with?

1. Nov 12, 2007 #1
    :confused: How much physics do i need to know to embark on cosmology
    Do i need to be a complete expert in GR???

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2007 #2

EL

Science Advisor

It of course depends on what level of understanding you are aiming for, and what part of cosmology you'd like to study, but in general you don't need to be an expert in GR. A basic GR course (including a study of the FLRW metric) could be sufficient for many topics in cosmology.

4. Nov 12, 2007 #3
    thats quite a suprise
    can you recommend me some text books on cosmology(leave aside weinbergs pop book)

5. Nov 12, 2007 #4

EL

Science Advisor

I think I need to know which level you are at right now, and which level you are aiming for?

6. Nov 12, 2007 #5
    i know very little quantum field theory,some basic idea about GR,
    miniscule amount of particle physics,...

7. Nov 12, 2007 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe Introduction to Cosmology by Barbara Ryden might be a good choice.

Assuming second or third year undergraduate physics and math as input, this well written book gives an elementary, but detailed and quantitative, treatment of the expansion of the universe, dark matter, dark energy, inflation, big bang nucleosynthesis, and structure formation (galaxies and superclusters of galaxies). Knowledge of general relativity is not a prerequisite. The FLRW metric is used and studied, but is not derived.

8. Nov 12, 2007 #7

EL

Science Advisor

"Cosmology and Particle Astrophysics" (second edition) by Bergström & Goobar may be something. It is intended as an advanced undergraduate/graduate textbook, but is actually quite readable even for those with less knowledge, since it repeats the basic GR and QFT needed for the understanding of the rest of the book. The main focus is on dark matter and dark energy.

9. Nov 12, 2007 #8

Wallace

Science Advisor

A comprehensive classic cosmology text is 'Cosmological Physics' by John Peacock. Depending on your maths and physics background, this may be a little advanced though. It's probably an upper undergrad/grad student level.

Another option (though possibly a little tricky to get hold of?) is 'First Principles of Cosmology' by Eric Linder. It's quite a short text by normal standard but presents things in an interesting way and provokes lots of good thinking from the reader.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?