Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HOME DSL NETWORK it it broadband both in DSL-INTERNET and LAN:PC-PC:WIFI or LAN ? OR

1. May 14, 2010 #1
    Today's ethernet networks [LAN only I refer] we mention [1000baseT/100baseT - RJ-45] are broadband in nature or baseband? May mixed PCs send messages simultaneously to each other and internet, all to same network part, under one switch, for example...?

eg a HOME DSL NETWORK it it broadband both in DSL-INTERNET and LAN:PC-PC:WIFI or LAN ? OR NOT THE LATTER?

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2010 #2
    Re: HOME DSL NETWORK it it broadband both in DSL-INTERNET and LAN:PC-PC:WIFI or LAN ?

""Broadband"" is just faster than dial-up

4. May 14, 2010 #3
    Re: HOME DSL NETWORK it it broadband both in DSL-INTERNET and LAN:PC-PC:WIFI or LAN ?

I refer vs baseband, not in internet, but Local Area network(data not leave from network)? what is this of the two?

5. May 14, 2010 #4

Since I've seen "Broadband" below 10k, I'd refer to the network instead the speed or frequencies.

6. May 14, 2010 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ethernet is baseband it's a simple serial binary signal on differential pair (single pair each way for 100Base, 2 pairs for gigabit).

wifi is base band in that it only uses a single channel for each link, but there are multiple channels for simultaneous comms with different devices.

7. May 14, 2010 #6

In a LAN(100baseT) of 30 PCs , that you say is baseband may, 30 PCs work & exchange data same time, each other or from internet [LAN & Web]?

8. May 14, 2010 #7

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, the routing is handled by the ethernet switch

9. May 14, 2010 #8

Unless you are trying to confuse who ever it is your are talking to:

You refer to network speeds such as:

Provider\Provider (Name)\WAN SPEED

or

Local\Local Network\LAN SPEED

If you are about the network, leave off the work SPEED.

10. May 14, 2010 #9

I refer on Local\Local Network\LAN SPEED

but not speed, but "communication same time" of course speed derives....

this achieved with only broadband .... the inner communication in network, or baseband is the same, ....?

30 of 30 PCs USE THE SAME CABLES TO SEND PACKETS SAME TIME/INSTANCE

Last edited: May 14, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook