Can Using a Single 220v Line in My Bedroom Affect My Electric Meter Reading?

In summary: WarrenJust to be clear, you're saying that if you had a metal case on your washing machine, you would get a shock if you touched it?- WarrenYes, that's right.
chrisalviola
In my bedroom I use a single 220v line and made an electrical outlet while the second line is connected to the water facet which is obviously the ground. the result is a 110v power source. I use this to power my lamp shades and other bedroom lighting.

so my question is, since iam only using a single line of the 220v power source would my electric meter still count my electrical consumption?

this is what my electric meter looks like
http://static.flickr.com/6/9849017_2cae763a1d_m.jpg"

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
First, yes, the meter will count the power useage.

Second, you are violating safety codes by using the water faucet piping as your power ground. It is a serious safety hazard, and you need to stop doing it immediately. You could hurt yourself or someone else pretty easily.

Oh, and third, don't you think it's a little, um, not well thought out to post a picture of your electric meter, with the power company's name and the serial number of the meter visible, and ask us "Hey, am I getting away with not paying for my power?!" :rolleyes:

berkeman is correct, you are risking your life (and the life of other people who use water systems connected to your own) by using Earth ground for return current. Your power company has equipment which can detect the imbalance in the return current, and will probably be sending a representative to your home eventually. You're deliberately creating what is called a "ground fault," something power companies do their best to eliminate.

- Warren

Last edited:
just used that picture as an example its not my electric meter, may I ask what could be the risk in using water pipes as ground?

Since Earth ground and neutral are tied together only in your home's distribution panel, you stand the risk of having a potentially large voltage between Earth ground and neutral, particularly if you are pushing a lot of current through Earth ground. This can cause people to get shocked when they touch things like the cabinets of appliances (which are connected to Earth ground) or the metal surrounds of light fixtures, etc.

- Warren

really? never thought about that, would that explain why everytime I touch my computer case I get grounded? in my room I have a strong magnetic field.

You get a discernable shock from touching your computer case, and don't find that odd or potentially dangerous? :uhh:

- Warren

Just in case it's not clear: The bottom line is that the electric company will still measure your current just like normal, but you're putting your life at risk.

- Warren

Had to chime in. Years ago, it was common practice to ground to water pipes. But that was before people realized the hazards. As a child (around 5 I think) while bare foot, I turned on the outside water faucet and got a good shock. That was because the water pipe ground was not really ground. It made an impression; so no Water Pipe Grounds for me.

that was also what other appliances like washing machines, electric ovens suggested to ground the metal case.

1. How do I read my home electric meter?

To read your home electric meter, you will need to locate the display panel on the meter. This is typically a digital or analog display that shows your current energy usage. Take note of the numbers displayed and make sure to read them from left to right. Some meters may also have a decimal point, so be sure to include that in your reading.

2. What do the numbers on my electric meter mean?

The numbers on your electric meter represent your energy usage in kilowatt hours (kWh). This is the unit of measurement used to determine how much electricity you have used in a given period of time. Your energy provider will use this reading to calculate your monthly bill.

3. How often should I check my home electric meter?

It is recommended to check your home electric meter at least once a month. This will give you a better understanding of your energy usage and help you identify any changes in your consumption. It is also important to check your meter before and after any extended periods of time away from your home, such as vacations, to ensure accurate readings.

4. Can I switch to a different electric meter?

In most cases, you can switch to a different electric meter if you are not satisfied with your current one. However, this may depend on your energy provider and the type of meter you are interested in. It is best to contact your energy provider for more information on switching meters.

5. How can I lower my home electric bill?

One way to lower your home electric bill is to reduce your energy usage. This can be done by turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using energy-efficient appliances, and adjusting your thermostat to a reasonable temperature. You can also consider investing in renewable energy sources, such as solar panels, to reduce your reliance on traditional electricity. Additionally, make sure to regularly check your meter for any discrepancies and contact your energy provider if you have any concerns about your bill.