Can I Create My Own Wall Art with Steel Beams and Insulation?

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Home
In summary: I might just go with some simple wood brackets to mount it to the wall...but I can't speak for everyone.www.stupidbobby.8m.com/pf.htmlThere are pictures on that site. The dresser is the one with the small fan. I won't put a painting over it since there already is a large painting nearby. The other wall by the TV looks a little empty because I have yet to put up my degree, and my surround sound system that will be mounted next to the TV. I'm guessing shelves with like pictures I guess. I find that kind of tacky. I might just create my own little art piece or something that can fill that corner.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The beams in the interior wall are ALL STEEL!

What the hell?! I can't drill through whatsoever. There are 3 in one wall!

What do I do? The exterior wall have wood beams but insulation so hiding the wires is impossible!

Physics news on Phys.org
huh...fairly new construction then (new house/apt)----are you still working with the wires? is this your place, or rented?

rewebster said:
huh...fairly new construction then (new house/apt)----are you still working with the wires? is this your place, or rented?

It rented.

How can all 3 beams I tried so far be steel!?

Is that even necessary?

Note: 4th beams is also steel. I just tested with a magnet.

a lot of 'new' construction has interior steel studs---

if you are going to put the TV on a 'rented' wall that has steel studs, probably the 'best easiest' thing to do is find some decorative molding that you can make what looks like a pipe cut long wise----put the wires inside after you paint it and just put in enough screws to hold it securely to the wall----the TV 'mounting' , if you're going to try to mount the TV on the wall) should be mounted on and through these steel studs--you have to get a drill bit for steel and the right mounting kit (or hire someone)

rewebster said:
a lot of 'new' construction has interior steel studs---

if you are going to put the TV on a 'rented' wall that has steel studs, probably the 'best easiest' thing to do is find some decorative molding that you can make what looks like a pipe cut long wise----put the wires inside after you paint it and just put in enough screws to hold it securely to the wall----the TV 'mounting' , if you're going to try to mount the TV on the wall) should be mounted on and through these steel studs--you have to get a drill bit for steel and the right mounting kit (or hire someone)

Well, I went a bought Titanium drill bits and drilled through the steel stud. It's not very thick actually.

Ok, I have one more question. It's a question about decoration.

Trying to decide what to do with my dresser. I need to decorate the area. I was thinking of putting small shelves above the dresser. Not really sure what to do.

www.stupidbobby.8m.com/pf.html

There are pictures on that site. The dresser is the one with the small fan. I won't put a painting over it since there already is a large painting nearby. The other wall by the TV looks a little empty because I have yet to put up my degree, and my surround sound system that will be mounted next to the TV. I'm guessing shelves with like pictures I guess. I find that kind of tacky. I might just create my own little art piece or something that can fill that corner.

Any tips? Pictures or sites with ideas?

Note for "picky" Cyrus: The painting is real and original by an amateur artist. It's no Wal-Mart print.

It is best to use toggle bolts to mount anything heavy to metal studs.

How about another plant? Maybe that spot is too dark, though.

My other thought was a tall frou-frou bird cage, but then I remembered...you're a guy.

I love that picture :!) ...it's wonderful!

edward said:
It is best to use toggle bolts to mount anything heavy to metal studs.

The hole would have to be rather large hole though.

JasonRox said:
The hole would have to be rather large hole though.

Then for sure use sheet-metal screws. Metal studs are pretty thin and screws meant for wood don't get a good grip in thin metal.

What you need is the new BINFORD power drill. It has 85 Horse power and will drill through steel, sheet metal, and titanium. HOooooooo HOooooo HOOOOOoooooooooo.

JasonRox said:
Ok, I have one more question. It's a question about decoration.

Trying to decide what to do with my dresser. I need to decorate the area. I was thinking of putting small shelves above the dresser. Not really sure what to do.

www.stupidbobby.8m.com/pf.html

There are pictures on that site. The dresser is the one with the small fan. I won't put a painting over it since there already is a large painting nearby. The other wall by the TV looks a little empty because I have yet to put up my degree, and my surround sound system that will be mounted next to the TV. I'm guessing shelves with like pictures I guess. I find that kind of tacky. I might just create my own little art piece or something that can fill that corner.

Any tips? Pictures or sites with ideas?

Note for "picky" Cyrus: The painting is real and original by an amateur artist. It's no Wal-Mart print.

Personally, I am spartan. If I don't NEED shelves on top of the dresser, I won't even have them. I only have exactly what I need, but of High quality and good ergonomics.

If that were my room, I wouldn't even have that plant on the side. It would be bed, shelves, desk. Thats it.

lisab said:
How about another plant? Maybe that spot is too dark, though.

My other thought was a tall frou-frou bird cage, but then I remembered...you're a guy.

how about a tall thin 'mood light' table lamp, a small dresser mirror and another work of art, or grouping of photos of people you know, friends, or combination of smaller art and photos.

I put a set of books on mine.

rewebster said:
how about a tall thin 'mood light' table lamp, a small dresser mirror and another work of art, or grouping of photos of people you know, friends, or combination of smaller art and photos.

I put a set of books on mine.

I have enough books. It would be too many books by putting them on my dresser.

Cyrus' idea is too plain.

There is one plant missing that makes the room more symmetric. I'm almost missing a mattress on my bed.

I'll take some time to think about it and have some friends see what they think.

Lots of things are missing still so it's hard to say. The big things is just the plant, mattress, and surround sound (which you won't see literally). I will probably also add hidden lighting for the evening.

Oh, I wanted a big mirror (for the obvious reason) just can't work that in anywhere I guess. The ceiling is probably the only spot that will work, but I can't really do that. I guess that's what the washroom is for.

lisab said:

I remember I gave it to a friend because I have nowhere to put it. Then he never ended up using it, so when I moved, I took it back. Good thing I did because it's a great add to any room.

I would agree with rewebster about a tall thin lamp.

JasonRox said:
I have enough books. It would be too many books by putting them on my dresser.

Cyrus' idea is too plain.

There is one plant missing that makes the room more symmetric. I'm almost missing a mattress on my bed.

I'll take some time to think about it and have some friends see what they think.

Lots of things are missing still so it's hard to say. The big things is just the plant, mattress, and surround sound (which you won't see literally). I will probably also add hidden lighting for the evening.

Oh, I wanted a big mirror (for the obvious reason) just can't work that in anywhere I guess. The ceiling is probably the only spot that will work, but I can't really do that. I guess that's what the washroom is for.

I like plain for a reson. Your room is small. The moment you start putting all this stuff everywhere the space diminishes significantly. I like the feel of wide open spaces that don't have any clutter. If I could, I would repaint your walls titanium oxide white. Its a very vibrant white color that makes anything you put on it stand out. Basically, think something along the lines of an art museum. All white walls with wood floors. Anything you have with color against the white will really pop out. But at the same time its mostly all white, and a calming environment.

Cyrus said:
I like plain for a reson. Your room is small. The moment you start putting all this stuff everywhere the space diminishes significantly. I like the feel of wide open spaces that don't have any clutter. If I could, I would repaint your walls titanium oxide white. Its a very vibrant white color that makes anything you put on it stand out. Basically, think something along the lines of an art museum. All white walls with wood floors. Anything you have with color against the white will really pop out. But at the same time its mostly all white, and a calming environment.

White is a horrible color.

My room is far from clutter! I don't have any decorations really. I like plants, so I have plants. (Yes, they are real.) I have books. I have my diplomas and degrees. And that one painting. That's pretty much it. My room is like 14x12 so it's not small. I'm not sure how that's considered small. My desk is always clean with nothing on it. I don't leave papers on it.

It's pretty open to me.

JasonRox said:
White is a horrible color.

My room is far from clutter! I don't have any decorations really. I like plants, so I have plants. (Yes, they are real.) I have books. I have my diplomas and degrees. And that one painting. That's pretty much it. My room is like 14x12 so it's not small. I'm not sure how that's considered small. My desk is always clean with nothing on it. I don't leave papers on it.

It's pretty open to me.

There is nothing wrong with white. Once you see a place done correct in white, you'll understand what I'm talking about. Different strokes for different folks.

Cyrus said:
There is nothing wrong with white. Once you see a place done correct in white, you'll understand what I'm talking about. Different strokes for different folks.

Yeah. I would never go white though. Definitely not with the dark black and brown I have in my room.

I never seen a white room well done. Maybe in a hospital.

JasonRox said:
Yeah. I would never go white though. Definitely not with the dark black and brown I have in my room.

Just open any architectural magazine when you have the chance.

JasonRox said:

maybe for 'show'---

--galleries have white walls to emphazise the art *for sale*---hospitals have white for the idea of sterile conditions--and even they are moving away from that idea, because colors are more pleasant.

There's always a Bell curve from Minimalist to Horror vacui

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horror_vacui

I actually plan on creating my own piece of art. It will be like a Quebec flag looking thing that will go on my wall. I want really explain what it in words. I'm only imagining it right now. I'll think about it for awhile and put it up and we'll see.

1. Can I use steel beams and insulation to create wall art?

Yes, it is possible to use steel beams and insulation to create unique and modern wall art. This combination of materials can add an industrial and edgy aesthetic to any space.

2. What type of steel beams should I use for wall art?

The type of steel beams you use for wall art will depend on your desired design and the weight of the artwork. It is best to consult with a professional to determine the appropriate size and strength of steel beams for your project.

3. How do I attach insulation to the steel beams for wall art?

There are several options for attaching insulation to steel beams for wall art. You can use adhesive, screws, or clamps to secure the insulation in place. It is important to ensure that the insulation is firmly attached to prevent any movement or damage to the artwork.

4. Can I paint or decorate the steel beams for wall art?

Yes, you can paint or decorate the steel beams to add a personal touch to your wall art. However, it is important to use paint and materials that are suitable for metal surfaces to ensure they adhere properly.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when creating wall art with steel beams and insulation?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when working with any materials. Wear protective gear, such as gloves and eye protection, when handling steel beams and insulation. It is also recommended to have a professional assist with the construction and installation of the wall art to ensure it is secure and safe.