Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Home-made nanomachines

1. Jul 30, 2005 #1
    Is it possible to create something nano (nanocircuits, nanomachines, etc) at home? Why or why not? Examples?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You DO know, of course, that you cannot see with your eyes something that is of a nano-scale size, don't you? Now unless you have an electron microscope handy in your home, how are you to create such things and know you have created them when you can't see it?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2005
  4. Jul 30, 2005 #3
    :smile: No it is not, because they are too small

The only thing you can do is simulate their behaviour on pc's. as a matter of fact, this way of working is becoming more important because simulations avoid scientists from having to build such objects at each processing step...Well, i am being a bit naive here, but nevertheless it is close to the general truth

5. Jul 30, 2005 #4
    Sure, my cells do it all the time.
  6. Jul 31, 2005 #5
    Where can I find a nano-simulator?
  7. Aug 2, 2005 #6
    what exactly do you mean by nano simulator ?

8. Aug 4, 2005 #7
    I guess I can suggest you how to produce a nano shaker. Get a drop of water and put it on a solid marble bench of you kitchen. Now start singing somewhat near the drop one note, near 440 Hz. It is done. By adjusting your distance to the drop you can manage to put the drop to vibrate with nano scale amplitudes.

Not expecting to be taken seriously,

Sincerely yours

9. Aug 4, 2005 #8
    There are functions that can be used to manipulate 'unseen'<> 'somethings'.

Here for instance:http://www.npl.co.uk/materials/functional/definitions.html

you can learn about definations of what can be real.

You need structures, nano-anythings are real things, manipulated into forming repeating 'uncomplex' structure's.

I do not envisige a nano 'F.A.CUP' be played out with a football made of this:

But who knows :biggrin:
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2005
  10. Aug 5, 2005 #9
    i don't know if previous posters are aware of this, but solvent-based systems are used to make nanoparticles as well...these are your typicalchemistry type of setup, where temperature, reaction time, and solvation are carefully controlled. not a big deal, and definately doable in someone's garage.

visualizing them, however, yes you would need something like an SEM or ideally an AFM. SEMs these days are cheap - i saw one on ebay once for $3,000.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?