Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Home made zapper?

1. Aug 1, 2006 #1
    :rolleyes: More like a small device that generates relaxing current? Is that possible to make one? I wanna feel electricity (electric current) in my body but i dont want it to cuase pain or a shock... what would be a good way to do that? :rolleyes:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't say that I've ever heard of any electrical current giving a "relaxing" sensation.

- Warren

4. Aug 1, 2006 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Read your favourite parts of Physics Forums out loud (e.g. Zapperz' posts). The stimulated optical and auditory nerves will transmit gentle electrical signals to your brain which will, in turn, prompt a pleasing cascade of neuron synapses to fire sending relaxing electrical signals that will be conducted down the spinal column to all parts of your body, relaxing muscles and stimulating other neurons in the brain to release neuro-chemicals that give intense feelings of intellectual pleasure.:cool:

AM

5. Aug 2, 2006 #4

Pythagorean

Gold Member

there's actually a technique that produces interferential current to stimulate muscles that's used in the medical field. After a car wreck, I went into the doctor and they prescribed physical therapy (all I had were swollen muscles in my lower back). They rub you down with a cream, hook you up to some suction cups, and let you increase the frequency in steps as you're back adjusts to the stimulus. It's pretty neat.

Here's one I found on the net. The machine they had in physical therapy was huge, I can't tell if this one is the whole device, or just the control pad:

http://www.rsmedical.com/product_rs4i.asp

6. Aug 2, 2006 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pythagorean,

Sure, there are units like TENS that produce "interesting" electrical stimulation, as well as a variety of, well, sex-related electrical devices sold to those into BDSM. I'm not aware of anyone who considers either to be "relaxing," however.

- Warren

7. Aug 2, 2006 #6
  8. Aug 2, 2006 #7

Pythagorean

Gold Member

No, I suppose you're right, 'relaxing' wasn't the word for it, but it did relieve the pain in my lower back muscles. Electrocuting your nipples isn't fun either :/

9. Aug 2, 2006 #8

Danger

Gold Member

The only thing that I can think of as a 'relaxing current' is the output from an electro-sleep machine such as the Russians tended to use for medical anaesthesia. It's pretty much a reverse electroencephalograph that feeds an artificial alpha rythym to the brain through scalp electrodes. I wouldn't recommend experimenting with it though, because in can induce an epileptic seizure (even in a non-epileptic subject).
    Moonbear, Adrenaline, or one of the other medical experts might be able to assist you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?