Can I Create an Affordable Aerial Photography Device Using a Kite or Balloon?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about exploring the possibility of taking pictures from a kite or balloon. The main considerations are a camera, a shutter-pressing mechanism that can take pictures at specified intervals, storage format, onboard storage, power source, and affordability. Possible solutions discussed include using a stabilizer, a wire or clockwork mechanism, and a cheap key-chain digital camera. The idea of using a wireless RF camera is also mentioned, but may not be feasible due to limited range. One person suggests using a disposable camera with a custom timer circuit to take pictures at specific intervals.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I want to explore taking pictures from a kite or balloon. (I saw some guys doing this at a hobby show a few years back.)

I need to consider the following:
- a camera
- a shutter-pressing mechanism that will take pictures over an interval, such as every minute or every hour. That might be a built-in time-lapse feature, or it might be some mechanical shutter-pressing device.
- storage format - digital would be great, but emulsion will do if that's the only way I can meet my other criteria
- it has to store the pics onboard until I can retrieve them, since it will be out of range.
- obviously onboard power
- all in a device that's cheap enough that I can afford to lose/break it

I'm looking for in- or out-of-the-box ideas on how to overcome the technicalities of such a thing.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You might want to consider a stabilizer as well.

So you want to do somthing like this:

http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~jac208/pegasus/pegasus1.html

Last edited by a moderator:
It shouldn't be too hard to cobble together a cheapo gyroscope and gimbal-mount it with the camera (or just hang it from a wire). I have a nice little flywheel out of a cassette deck or VCR or something (I forget now) that would probably have enough rotating mass to be useful. It wouldn't be NASA quality by any means, but maybe enough to offset the fluttering of a kite or the rotation of a balloon. Even a toy car tire with weights around the circumference might do (and have the advantage of a pre-assembled drivetrain).
If you're using a kite or a tethered balloon, you could simply run a wire up the string (or use that wire as a string) and trigger your camera from the ground. For a free balloon, a simple clockwork mechanism could trip the shutter for you.
I've seen in my area little key-chain digital cameras that sell for less than $50. They're very light and cheap, so might be ideal for experimenting with.
That's it for now. I'll get back to you if I think of anything else.

dduardo said:
So you want to do somthing like this:

http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~jac208/pegasus/pegasus1.html
Yes, but writ small - maybe 1/10 in all relevant project dimensions.
No onboard 'puter. No GPS. Camera retrieved manually.

Last edited by a moderator:
Danger said:
It shouldn't be too hard to cobble together a cheapo gyroscope and gimbal-mount it with the camera (or just hang it from a wire). I have a nice little flywheel out of a cassette deck or VCR or something (I forget now) that would probably have enough rotating mass to be useful. It wouldn't be NASA quality by any means, but maybe enough to offset the fluttering of a kite or the rotation of a balloon. Even a toy car tire with weights around the circumference might do (and have the advantage of a pre-assembled drivetrain).
Stability is something to consider, but lower on my list for now.
Danger said:
If you're using a kite or a tethered balloon, you could simply run a wire up the string (or use that wire as a string) and trigger your camera from the ground. For a free balloon, a simple clockwork mechanism could trip the shutter for you.
Assume free-floating as optimistic case - no wire.
Hoping for multiple exposures. I'm thinking some sort of clockwork if the shutter is manual (though I have to worry about winding if not a digital camera). Clockwork could be pretty tricky.
Danger said:
I've seen in my area little key-chain digital cameras that sell for less than $50.
Yes. Great idea.

I think there's a reason those cameras sell for less then $50 :P

I can't vouch for the picture quality, but I think it's at least 1.5 mp. Part of the reason that they don't cost more is that they have no viewscreen, which is irrelevant here, and don't come with software or cables.

Danger said:
I can't vouch for the picture quality, but I think it's at least 1.5 mp. Part of the reason that they don't cost more is that they have no viewscreen, which is irrelevant here, and don't come with software or cables.

Better hope it has stabilizing software at least.

I have no idea what that is. :confused:

I'm lousy at electronics, so I sure wouldn't try this myself, but you should be able to yard the cover off of a digital camera and run a jumper setup around the shutter switch to an outside timer. That would eliminate all of the weight and complexity of a mechanical timer.

Danger said:
I'm lousy at electronics, so I sure wouldn't try this myself, but you should be able to yard the cover off of a digital camera and run a jumper setup around the shutter switch to an outside timer. That would eliminate all of the weight and complexity of a mechanical timer.
1] Yep. That's what I'm thinkin'.
2] 'Yard'? Slang or typo?

whats wrong with a wireless RF camera?

cyrusabdollahi said:
whats wrong with a wireless RF camera?
I've never seen one, but I'd like to explore it.

Aside from that, I likely won't be within range much of the time (I assume it is short range, <1km), so that might not work.

This is what I would do, atleast for the first run:

1) Buy a cheap disposable camera
2) Pry off the button you use to take pictures
3) Build a Oneshot 555 Relay Timer Circuit
4) Connect the relay where the button used to be
5) Connect an astable 555 timer with binary counter to the input of the 555 Relay timer circuit

The circuit as a whole works likes this:

1) The astable 555 timer generates a pulse at a desired frequency.
2) The counter counts the number of pulses
3) Once the counter reaches the desired number, it would reset and hold the counter. It would also tell the oneshot 555 to close the relay for some amount of time
4) When the oneshot finishes the relay will open.
5) Unhold counter
5) Repeat

What you would need to design is the values of the resistors and capacitors such that your holding the button down for a specific amount of time and your only taking pictures at an interval.

There are plenty of resources on the internet about these type of circuits. Look them up. If you need any help on some specific details or whatever come back and ask them here or in the electrical engineering forum.

DaveC426913 said:
'Yard'? Slang or typo?
Slang. As in 'reef', 'yank', 'shell', etc.. :biggrin: I guess some of them must be regional.

Hm, I wonder how much one of my electronic hobbyist friends would charge to make this circuit for me. I've taken basic electronics, but it might be a little beyond me.

Should be worth about a 6-pack, plus parts.

What is homegrown aerial photography?

Homegrown aerial photography is a type of photography that involves using drones or other aerial devices to capture images from above.

What equipment is needed for homegrown aerial photography?

The main equipment needed for homegrown aerial photography includes a drone or other aerial device, a camera, a remote controller, and a mobile device or computer for controlling and viewing the images.

Do I need a license for homegrown aerial photography?

In most countries, you will need to obtain a license or permit to operate a drone for commercial purposes, including aerial photography. It is important to check with your local aviation authority for specific regulations and requirements.

What are the benefits of homegrown aerial photography?

Homegrown aerial photography allows for unique perspectives and angles that may not be possible with traditional ground-level photography. It also provides a cost-effective alternative to hiring professional aerial photographers.

Are there any safety precautions I should take when practicing homegrown aerial photography?

Yes, it is important to always adhere to safety guidelines and laws when operating a drone or other aerial device. This includes avoiding flying near airports, crowded areas, and restricted airspace. It is also important to check weather conditions and regularly inspect and maintain your equipment to ensure safe operation.