Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homemade Cyclotron Help

1. Apr 6, 2010 #1
    Hey so i wanted to build a cyclotron but i have a few questions about them first...

First is do the magnetic "D's" have to be one solid magnet or can they be multiple magnets uniformly spaced out.

Also what can i use as a detector if say i want to accelerate a proton to like 75% the speed of light?

Lastly does anyone have a link that would give me more info on how to build one ( i understand the theory behind it but im looking for something like a materials list of sorts.)

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

It's important to understand the cost of what you are thinking about doing, and also to get an appreciation of the safety risks. Here is a previous PF thread about the subject, with links out to other related PF threads:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=326179

4. Apr 6, 2010 #3
    ya im just looking to build the best one i can with 100$ lol

5. Apr 6, 2010 #4
    That statement alone tells me that you do not understand the physics enough to even BEGIN that project. But, keep learning!!

6. Apr 7, 2010 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Fine. PM me if you want the thread re-opened.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook