Build Your Own Cyclotron: Tips and Tricks for Homemade Cyclotron Construction"

In summary, you would need a solid magnet for the "D's" and you could use a detector like a proton magnetometer. For more information on how to build a cyclotron, you could look for a materials list on the internet.
fys iks!
Hey so i wanted to build a cyclotron but i have a few questions about them first...

First is do the magnetic "D's" have to be one solid magnet or can they be multiple magnets uniformly spaced out.

Also what can i use as a detector if say i want to accelerate a proton to like 75% the speed of light?

Lastly does anyone have a link that would give me more info on how to build one ( i understand the theory behind it but I am looking for something like a materials list of sorts.)

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
fys iks! said:
Hey so i wanted to build a cyclotron but i have a few questions about them first...

First is do the magnetic "D's" have to be one solid magnet or can they be multiple magnets uniformly spaced out.

Also what can i use as a detector if say i want to accelerate a proton to like 75% the speed of light?

Lastly does anyone have a link that would give me more info on how to build one ( i understand the theory behind it but I am looking for something like a materials list of sorts.)

thanks

It's important to understand the cost of what you are thinking about doing, and also to get an appreciation of the safety risks. Here is a previous PF thread about the subject, with links out to other related PF threads:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=326179

ya I am just looking to build the best one i can with 100$ lol

fys iks! said:

That statement alone tells me that you do not understand the physics enough to even BEGIN that project. But, keep learning!

fys iks! said:
ya I am just looking to build the best one i can with 100$ lol

Fine. PM me if you want the thread re-opened.

1. How difficult is it to build a cyclotron at home?

Building a cyclotron at home can be a challenging project, but it is not impossible. It requires a good understanding of physics and engineering principles, as well as access to specialized equipment and materials.

2. What materials are needed to build a cyclotron?

The main materials needed to build a cyclotron include a strong magnet, a vacuum chamber, particle accelerators, and a power source. Other materials such as copper wiring, steel plates, and insulating materials may also be needed depending on the design of the cyclotron.

3. How much does it cost to build a cyclotron at home?

The cost of building a cyclotron at home can vary greatly depending on the size and complexity of the design. It can range from a few hundred dollars for a small, basic cyclotron to thousands of dollars for a larger, more sophisticated cyclotron.

4. Is it safe to build and operate a cyclotron at home?

Building and operating a cyclotron at home can be hazardous if proper safety precautions are not taken. It is important to have a good understanding of the potential risks and to follow all safety guidelines and protocols. It is also recommended to seek guidance from a professional or experienced builder.

5. Can a homemade cyclotron be used for scientific research?

While a homemade cyclotron may not be as powerful or sophisticated as those used in scientific research facilities, it can still be used for basic experiments and demonstrations. However, it is important to note that the results may not be as accurate or reliable as those from professional cyclotrons.