1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homemade Cyclotron Help

1. Apr 6, 2010 #1
    Hey so i wanted to build a cyclotron but i have a few questions about them first...

First is do the magnetic "D's" have to be one solid magnet or can they be multiple magnets uniformly spaced out.

Also what can i use as a detector if say i want to accelerate a proton to like 75% the speed of light?

Lastly does anyone have a link that would give me more info on how to build one ( i understand the theory behind it but im looking for something like a materials list of sorts.)

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

It's important to understand the cost of what you are thinking about doing, and also to get an appreciation of the safety risks. Here is a previous PF thread about the subject, with links out to other related PF threads:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=326179

4. Apr 6, 2010 #3
    ya im just looking to build the best one i can with 100$ lol

5. Apr 6, 2010 #4
    That statement alone tells me that you do not understand the physics enough to even BEGIN that project. But, keep learning!!

6. Apr 7, 2010 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Fine. PM me if you want the thread re-opened.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook