Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homemade electroscope help

1. Jan 23, 2017 #1
    I want to make a electroscope but tried googling it and none made my criteria. What I want is a homemade electroscope that will give me a measurement, please tell what I would need and possibly a how to. Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2017 #2

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you mean a digital measurement? You could use a video camera to measure the separation of the leaves and use that as a measurement.

Do you mean a visual measurement? You could put a graduated scale (i.e. a ruler) behind the leafs) then view them from the side and see which gradations are hidden by the leaves.

4. Jan 23, 2017 #3
    OK but how do I convert that measurement into volts/ kilovolts?

5. Jan 23, 2017 #4

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just like any analog instrument, you must run calibration tests. First apply a series of known voltages, and observe the displacement. Use that to plot a calibration curve that relates displacement to voltage.

6. Jan 23, 2017 #5
    Thank you, as you might have figured, I'm not very knowledgeableabout tthis stuff.
    Sorry about the mumbo jumbo my phone is acting weird

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted