Homemade High-Quality Speakers

• Thread starter NGage22R
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homemade
In summary, the conversation discusses the task of creating a speaker with 4 rare Earth magnets and various available materials. The group is considering making a 5.1 or 2.3 surround sound speaker system with good mid-range sound quality. They are also discussing the possibility of using a moving coil or magnet for the speaker and suggest using plastic from soda bottles as the cone material.
NGage22R

Homework Statement

We have to make a speaker with 4 rare Earth magnets, and whatever materials we can buy or find . How to make the coil? What should we use for the cone of the speaker? Our ideas are to create a 5.1 or 2.3 surround sound speaker system with excellent mid-range sound quality.

Homework Equations

Unknown

The Attempt at a Solution

Using guides off the internet and materials from radio-shack to create the speakers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did the assignment say the speaker had to be moving coil?
Would it be easier to make if the magnet was moving?

I don't know if this would work, but the bottom of some large soda drink containers is thin plastic, it is very strong and it is concave. If you supported the sides of this (after cutting it off the bottle) on soft foam and glued a magnet to the centre of it, maybe you could attract the magnet with a coil wound on some soft iron.

I would approach this task by first understanding the basic principles of how a speaker works. This includes the role of the magnet, coil, and cone in producing sound. I would also research the properties of rare Earth magnets and their potential impact on the sound quality.

To make the coil, I would suggest using copper wire as it is a good conductor of electricity and is commonly used in speaker coils. The thickness and length of the wire will depend on the desired impedance and power handling of the speaker.

For the cone, it is important to choose a material that is lightweight, yet rigid enough to produce clear sound. Some options could include paper, plastic, or even metal. The shape and size of the cone will also play a role in the sound quality, so careful consideration should be given to this aspect.

In order to create a 5.1 or 2.3 surround sound speaker system, it is important to carefully design and arrange the speakers to ensure proper sound distribution and coherence. This may require additional research and experimentation to achieve the desired result.

Overall, creating high-quality homemade speakers with rare Earth magnets is certainly possible, but it will require careful planning, experimentation, and a good understanding of the principles involved. I would also recommend seeking guidance from experienced audio engineers or consulting with professionals in the field for additional support and advice.

What materials are needed to make homemade high-quality speakers?

To make homemade high-quality speakers, you will need a speaker driver, a speaker box, speaker wire, a crossover circuit, and a power source. You may also need other tools such as a soldering iron, wire cutters, and screwdrivers.

Can I use any speaker driver for homemade high-quality speakers?

No, it is important to choose a high-quality speaker driver that is suitable for the type of speaker you are making. It should also have a high power handling capacity and a wide frequency range for optimal sound performance.

Do homemade high-quality speakers sound as good as store-bought ones?

It depends on the materials and construction of the homemade speaker. With the right materials and proper construction techniques, homemade high-quality speakers can sound just as good, if not better, than store-bought speakers.

Are there any safety precautions I should take when making homemade high-quality speakers?

Yes, when working with electrical components, it is important to follow safety precautions such as wearing protective gear and disconnecting the power source before handling any wires. It is also important to be careful when using tools such as soldering irons.

Can I customize the design of my homemade high-quality speakers?

Yes, one of the advantages of making homemade high-quality speakers is that you can customize the design to your liking. You can choose the size, shape, and materials of the speaker box, as well as the type of speaker driver and crossover circuit. This allows for a unique and personalized speaker.