Is a Homemade Quadrupole Mass Spectrometer Possible?

In summary, the conversation is about a French amateur scientist who is developing a homemade TOF mass spectrometer and is seeking information on other amateur realizations in this area. They have found a homemade TEM on the web and are looking for additional resources or details on building such a device. They discuss the possibility of building a quadrupole design instead, but ultimately decide that a TOF detector may be simpler to construct.
Ravaner
Hi,

I'm a french (old) amateur scientist developping an homemade TOF mass spectrometer and I'll be pleased to know other amateur realizations in this area. I've found an homemade TEM on the web, and that's all. If someone has already tried to built such a device or know a site where I can find interesting details it will be of great help for me. Thanks by advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
RE:
Homemade Mass Spectrometer
Hi,

I'm a french (old) amateur scientist developping an homemade TOF mass spectrometer and I'll be pleased to know other amateur realizations in this area. I've found an homemade TEM on the web, and that's all. If someone has already tried to built such a device or know a site where I can find interesting details it will be of great help for me. Thanks by advance.

Good afternoon,

I have seen some schematics on the web. A TOF mass spectrometer is a instrument, that separate the ions in time-of-flight, and measure the mass. Other words, I've found TOFMS
(Time-of-flight mass spectrometry) on the web. Please see this web sites:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-of-flight_mass_spectrometry

www.bioacademy.gr/.../courses/Helsinki%207_11May07_projects/Introduction%20to%20Mass%20Spectrometry.pdf[/URL]

[PLAIN]www.dmoz.org/Science/Chemistry/Analytical/Mass_Spectrometry/[/URL]

[url]www.gcms.de/mass.html[/url]

[PLAIN]www.umiacs.umd.edu/~nedwards/teaching/BCHM676_Spring_2007/student_presentations/Engelmann.ppt[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Ravaner said:
Hi,

The first time I hear about an amateur who think of building a TOF. It's exciting

Hi,

Yes it's not so frequent to find amateur developping such scientific instruments, and may be especially in Europe. But in USA there are a lot of other "crazy" guys who built such equipments and I think for example to Fred Niell who has built an homemade linear accelerator and a really wonderful cyclotron !

How about a quadrupole design - I think this would be less challenging for home - construction.

I too am interested in constructing amateur scientific instruments. I found Fred Niell's accomplishments truly amazing. A quadrupole MS would come in great use and if anyone has some suggestions on how to get started in practical terms, I am interested as well as a bunch of others out there. Where did you find the TEM on the web?

Thanks.

Before you jump into this, all you need is a facy camera. break down the the oscillations of light emitted from the object -at a certain temp- by the color emitted, ie what color it is.

Start with a picture, (internet ?) -break it down according to color (microsoft paint), -break it down according to a given temperature (heat picture, if you want to be scientific)

start from there.

chemretd said:
How about a quadrupole design - I think this would be less challenging for home - construction.
I don't know... The tube might be simpler, but it's a lot easier to build a TOF detector than quadrupole detector. With TOF, if you managed the vacuum tube and the anode, all you have to do is hook up the cathode to an oscilloscope and that's basically your TOF spectrum.

What is a homemade mass spectrometer?

A homemade mass spectrometer is a scientific instrument used to measure the mass and concentration of molecules in a sample. It works by ionizing the molecules and separating them based on their mass-to-charge ratio.

What materials are needed to build a homemade mass spectrometer?

The materials needed to build a homemade mass spectrometer include a vacuum chamber, an ion source, a mass analyzer, a detector, and a data acquisition system. Other materials such as power supplies, gas supplies, and various tools may also be necessary depending on the design.

Is it difficult to build a homemade mass spectrometer?

Building a homemade mass spectrometer can be a challenging task, as it requires a good understanding of scientific principles and technical skills. However, with proper guidance and resources, it is possible for a skilled individual to build one.

Why would someone want to build a homemade mass spectrometer?

There are several reasons why someone may want to build a homemade mass spectrometer. This includes the desire to learn more about the scientific principles behind mass spectrometry, the need for a low-cost alternative to commercial instruments, or the ability to customize the instrument for specific research needs.

What are the limitations of a homemade mass spectrometer?

A homemade mass spectrometer may have limitations in terms of sensitivity, accuracy, and precision compared to commercial instruments. It may also require more maintenance and adjustments due to the DIY nature of its construction. Additionally, homemade mass spectrometers may not be suitable for all types of analyses and may have a smaller range of capabilities compared to commercial instruments.