Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homemade Stripboard

1. Nov 26, 2012 #1
    Hello, after failing on a few circuits I thought I need to be able to swap and change my components a little more easily then soldering all the time. So I've built a reusable solderless stripboard, that I can swap and change my components around.

I had a bunch of 18pin DIL sockets that I got for free so I chopped them up, super glued them together and then soldered them (a little bit messy, but they work). Now I can play with my circuits until they work then transfer them to a real stripboard once I've perfected the circuit.

Anyway just thought I would share that with you.

:)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2012 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hi and welcome to PF

you do know you can buy solderless breadboards dont you ? :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=53381&stc=1&d=1353981594.jpg

no point reinventing the wheel ;) but a great attempt

Dave

Attached Files:

4. Nov 27, 2012 #3
    A breadboard is something I keep in my kitchen :smile:

And mine only cost £1 plus I didn't have to wait for delivery. :cool:

5. Nov 27, 2012 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

well there ya go, therein lies the problem ... see you need to broaden you view from outta the kitchen ;)

seriously tho, those ones like I showed are very good, various sizes and some are able to clip together to make much larger arrangements. no electronics shack, hobbiest or professional should be without one or two

Dave

6. Nov 27, 2012 #5
    Just been checking them out on Maplin.co.uk, they look quite good but prices are from £1.99 to £19.99. Can you recommend a good one, how well do the components hold in, they're a little loose on my version. I was thinking I could make a big board with lots of fixed springs to hold them in place.

7. Nov 28, 2012 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think the term 'bread board' came from the use of an actual bread board with copper nails driven into it as soldering points - way back. Those guys were REAL enthusiasts! Solder flux came only in tins; none of your reels of ready fluxed solder.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook