1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homeomorphism proof

1. Nov 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that [tex] D^n/S^{n-1} [/tex] is homeomorphic to [tex] S^n [/tex]. (Hint - try the cases n = 1,2,3 first).

2. Relevant equations
    X/Y is defined as the union of the complement X\Y with one point. I showed in a previous section that the equivalence relation x~x' if x and x' are in Y gives X/~ = X/Y. The identification space topology was then used, and I showed that a subset Z of X with [tex] Y \cap Z [/tex] non-empty is such that p(Z) is open in X/Y if and only if [tex] Y \cup X [/tex] is open in X.

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I define the open sets. A set in [tex] D^n [/tex] is open if [tex] U = D^n \cap V [/tex] for some V open in [tex] R^n [/tex]. A subset U in [tex] D^n /S^{n-1} [/tex] is open if [tex] U \cap S^{n-1} [/tex] is empty and U is open in [tex] D^n [/tex] or if the intersection is non-empty as in the relevant equations section.
    A set U in [tex] S^n [/tex] is open if [tex] U = V \cap S^n [/tex] for V open in [tex] R^{n+1} [/tex].

I need a function mapping open sets to open sets. For n = 1 this was easy since I knew the basis for [tex] S^1 [/tex] was open arcs, so f = (cos pi(x+1), sin pi(x+1)) (I think this is a homeomorphism) worked. The only was I could explicitly do this for n = 2 would be to use the spherical polar coordinates that I know from physics and other maths courses, which I wouldn't be able to generalise anyway. I'm not really sure how to proceed here.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?