Proof of Homeomorphism between D^n/S^{n-1} and S^n

In summary, a homeomorphism is a continuous and bijective mapping between two topological spaces with a continuous inverse. To prove a homeomorphism, one must show that the mapping is continuous, bijective, and has a continuous inverse. A quotient space is a space obtained by identifying and collapsing certain points or subsets of a space. The proof of a homeomorphism between D^n/S^{n-1} and S^n is important because it establishes a fundamental relationship between two important topological spaces and has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, computer science, and engineering.
madness

Homework Statement

Prove that [tex] D^n/S^{n-1} [/tex] is homeomorphic to [tex] S^n [/tex]. (Hint - try the cases n = 1,2,3 first).

Homework Equations

X/Y is defined as the union of the complement X\Y with one point. I showed in a previous section that the equivalence relation x~x' if x and x' are in Y gives X/~ = X/Y. The identification space topology was then used, and I showed that a subset Z of X with [tex] Y \cap Z [/tex] non-empty is such that p(Z) is open in X/Y if and only if [tex] Y \cup X [/tex] is open in X.

The Attempt at a Solution

First I define the open sets. A set in [tex] D^n [/tex] is open if [tex] U = D^n \cap V [/tex] for some V open in [tex] R^n [/tex]. A subset U in [tex] D^n /S^{n-1} [/tex] is open if [tex] U \cap S^{n-1} [/tex] is empty and U is open in [tex] D^n [/tex] or if the intersection is non-empty as in the relevant equations section.
A set U in [tex] S^n [/tex] is open if [tex] U = V \cap S^n [/tex] for V open in [tex] R^{n+1} [/tex].

I need a function mapping open sets to open sets. For n = 1 this was easy since I knew the basis for [tex] S^1 [/tex] was open arcs, so f = (cos pi(x+1), sin pi(x+1)) (I think this is a homeomorphism) worked. The only was I could explicitly do this for n = 2 would be to use the spherical polar coordinates that I know from physics and other maths courses, which I wouldn't be able to generalise anyway. I'm not really sure how to proceed here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I would like to offer a proof for the statement you have presented. Let's consider the cases n = 1, 2, and 3 first.

For n = 1, we have D^1/S^0 = D^1/{-1,1}. Since {-1,1} is just two points, we can define a function f: D^1/S^0 -> S^1 by mapping the point -1 to (1,0) and the point 1 to (-1,0). This function is continuous and bijective, and its inverse is also continuous, thus making it a homeomorphism.

For n = 2, we have D^2/S^1 = D^2/{(x,y) in R^2: x^2 + y^2 = 1}. Here, we can use the polar coordinate system to define a function g: D^2/S^1 -> S^2, where g(r,theta) = (r*cos theta, r*sin theta, sqrt(1-r^2)). Again, this function is continuous and bijective, with a continuous inverse, making it a homeomorphism.

For n = 3, we have D^3/S^2 = D^3/{(x,y,z) in R^3: x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 1}. Similar to the previous case, we can use the spherical coordinate system to define a function h: D^3/S^2 -> S^3, where h(r,theta,phi) = (r*sin phi*cos theta, r*sin phi*sin theta, r*cos phi, sqrt(1-r^2)). This function is also continuous and bijective, with a continuous inverse, making it a homeomorphism.

Now, let's consider the general case for n > 3. We can use the same approach as above, using the n-dimensional spherical coordinate system to define a function from D^n/S^{n-1} to S^n . This function will be continuous and bijective, with a continuous inverse, thus proving that D^n/S^{n-1} is homeomorphic to S^n .

I hope this helps in understanding and proving the statement. If you have any further questions or concerns, please let me know.[

1. What is the definition of a homeomorphism?

A homeomorphism is a continuous and bijective mapping between two topological spaces that has a continuous inverse.

2. How do you prove a homeomorphism between two spaces?

To prove a homeomorphism between two spaces, you need to show that the mapping is continuous, bijective, and has a continuous inverse. This can be done by showing that the open sets in one space are mapped to open sets in the other space and vice versa.

3. Can you explain the concept of a quotient space?

A quotient space is a space obtained by identifying and collapsing certain points or subsets of a space. In this case, the quotient space D^n/S^{n-1} is obtained by identifying all points on the boundary of the n-dimensional disk D^n and collapsing them to a single point, resulting in a (n-1)-dimensional sphere S^{n-1}.

4. Why is it important to prove a homeomorphism between D^n/S^{n-1} and S^n?

This proof is important because it helps establish a fundamental relationship between two important topological spaces. It also allows for the understanding and analysis of one space by studying the other, and vice versa.

5. What are some real-world applications of this proof?

This proof has many applications in various fields, including physics, computer science, and engineering. For example, in physics, the proof is used in the study of higher-dimensional spaces and the properties of spheres. In computer science, it is used in the development of algorithms for navigation and data compression. In engineering, it is used in the design and analysis of structures and networks.