Homework about Motion on Plane

In summary: The block has a mass of m and is subject to the forces of gravity (F_g) and the normal force (F_n).The normal force is what makes the block deviate to its right, producing another parabola projection on the horizontal plane.In summary, the block has a mass and is subject to the forces of gravity and the normal force. The normal force is what makes the block deviate to its right.
AmazingDonuts
Member has been warned to show some effort.
Hey guys!

I´m having a lot of trouble , even on starting this problem. Can someone give me a help??

mazurP1057.PNG

[Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Lnewqban and Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

I'm not sure about the screenshot translation, but "a block of inertia m" is pretty hard to decode for me. But leaving that aside for now...

Can you show us your Free Body Diagram (FBD) for the mass in this problem? Show the x-y axes and the forces on the mass, and post the Relevant Equations for the motion of the mass (velocity, acceleration, etc.) based on that FBD.

After you do that work, we should be able to help you more. :smile:

Likes AmazingDonuts
to clarify inertia m means that the block has a m mass

I got to this
I am truly confused now
Document 24_2.jpg

What exactly are the forces ##F_x,f_x,F_y,f_y##? I mean to what physical forces they do correspond?

In my opinion there are only 2 forces acting on the block, gravity and the normal force, but they are immersed into 3D and not in 2D as we are used to for this kind of problems. So extra care is needed when analysing these two forces into x,y components(and possibly z component, though the z-axis is not shown in the picture i believe we can take the z-axis to be in the direction of the normal force).

Likes Lnewqban
You are showing an equation that contains acceleration; however, it seems to me that there is no other acceleration involved than gravity in this case.
The reason is that the body starts its trajectory with certain velocity and nothing tells us about additional external forces acting upon it, other than its own weight.

It is perhaps a simplistic and incorrect approach, but I would try the calculations of this problem as a regular projectile one with trajectory on the vertical plane.
The actual initial velocity, velocity's angle and trajectory over the incline plane (x-y plane) could be decomposed into two projections: one natural projectile trajectory on the vertical or gravity plane and another trajectory on the horizontal plane.

Lnewqban said:
You are showing an equation that contains acceleration; however, it seems to me that there is no other acceleration involved than gravity in this case.
The reason is that the body starts its trajectory with certain velocity and nothing tells us about additional external forces acting upon it, other than its own weight.

It is perhaps a simplistic and incorrect approach, but I would try the calculations of this problem as a regular projectile one with trajectory on the vertical plane.
The actual initial velocity, velocity's angle and trajectory over the incline plane (x-y plane) could be decomposed into two projections: one natural projectile trajectory on the vertical or gravity plane and another trajectory on the horizontal plane.
You omit the normal force.
It will be simpler to use coordinates within the plane, i.e. make y distance up the plane, as in the diagram.
Maybe you did not mean "vertical".

haruspex said:
You omit the normal force.
It will be simpler to use coordinates within the plane, i.e. make y distance up the plane, as in the diagram.
Maybe you did not mean "vertical".
Normal force is what makes the block deviate to its right, producing another parabola projection on the horizontal plane.

I agree, working on the given x-y plane simplifies things.

I meant vertical, like the direction of the natural gravity acceleration.

1. What is motion on a plane?

Motion on a plane refers to the movement of an object in two-dimensional space, where the object can move in any direction on a flat surface.

2. What is the difference between motion on a plane and motion in a straight line?

The main difference is that motion on a plane involves movement in two dimensions, while motion in a straight line only involves movement in one dimension.

3. How is velocity calculated in motion on a plane?

Velocity in motion on a plane is calculated by dividing the total displacement of an object by the total time taken to travel that distance.

4. What are some examples of motion on a plane?

Some examples include a car driving on a road, a plane flying in the sky, a ball rolling on the ground, and a person walking on a flat surface.

5. How does motion on a plane relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Motion on a plane follows Newton's laws of motion, which state that an object will remain at rest or in motion unless acted upon by an external force, and that the force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.