1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Baseball Question

1. Nov 18, 2006 #1
    A second baseman tosses the ball to the first baseman, who catches it at the same level from which it was thrown. The throw is made with an initial speed of 21.0 m/s at an angle of 35.0° above the horizontal. (Neglect air resistance.)
    (a) What is the horizontal component of the ball's velocity just before it is caught?
    (b) How long is the ball in the air?

I am completely lost how to start this problem, I do not even know what a horizontal component is! Any help is appreciated. Can someone please tell me how to start this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2006 #2
    Recall what you have learned about vectors. Motion in two dimensions has two components. I suggest drawing a picture of the motion of the ball; it may help you see the relationship between the forces acting on it and its path through space.
  4. Nov 18, 2006 #3

Homework Helper

You can use the search button with the words 'projectile motion', and you'll find lots of useful threads.
  5. Nov 19, 2006 #4
    Im still so confused!
  6. Nov 19, 2006 #5
    Can someone please give me an example? Searching for projectile motion hasnt helped very much at all
  7. Nov 19, 2006 #6

Bumped for knowledge!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?