Homework - Creep Calculation

In summary, the conversation is about a homework question regarding the design of an acrylic shelf for a hot air dryer. The shelf must support a distributed load of 50N at 60oC for 8000 hours of continuous use. The conversation includes discussing the concept of creep modulus and its relation to stress and strain, as well as calculating the deflection of the shelf using the correct equation and units. The final answer for the deflection is 6.1cm.
peleus
Hi all,

I'm trying to crack what is admittedly a homework question. I don't necessarily want you to just spit out the right answer for me, but if you could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

A shelf for a hot air dryer is to be made from acrylic sheet. The shelf is simply
supported as shown in Figure 1, and has width w = 500mm, thickness t = 8mm and
depth b = 200mm. It must carry a distributed load of 50N at 60oC with a design life of 8000 hours of continuous use. How much will the shelf sag in that time?

Essentially Figure 1 simply show's that the force is evenly distributed across the entire shelf, it's not a point load.

We also have a graph of Creep Modulus (GPa) vs Time (s).

8000 hours * 60 seconds/hour = 480000s

Reading the graph of 4.8x10^5 seconds, we have a Ec of ~2.5 GPa.

Can anyone give me some pointers of a direction to go in from here?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here's where I would start:

1. Find the definition of "creep modulus."

2. Find the relevant state of stress in the beam (hint: shelf problems are often bending problems).

3. Connect the creep modulus to the stress to get strain.

4. Relate strain to the amount of sag.

Any chance you can help me out with finding the stress in the shelf?

I'm using

defl = Force * Length^3 / Second moment of Area * Creep Modulus * Loading constant.

I don't think this is right, because I'm getting a deflection of 6.1m (obviously wrong) and I don't think this method takes into account the fact the creep modulus is changing.

Any chance of giving a bit more of a hint for which formula to use?

Thanks.

It's likely there's a calculation or units problem somewhere. Recheck your calculations carefully.

I = 0.5m * 0.008m^3 / 12

I = 2.13333x10^-8 m^4
defl = 50 N * 0.5m / (384/5) * 2.5x10^6 Pa * 2.13333x10-8 m^4Pascals cancels a m^2 down the bottom and N up the top leaving m / m^2

This gives m^-1 which I suppose can't be right, any idea where I've gone wrong though?

Your equations in #3 and #5 seem to be different, and neither looks quite right. I suggest checking a textbook or reference book for the exact equation, and check what a GPa is again.

Thanks for spotting the mistake. Stupid me.

The equation is definitely right in the following sense.

Stiffness = C1 * E * I / L^3

Stiffness = force / deflection.

So force / deflection = C1 * E * I / L^3

Therefore, deflection = L^3 * F / C1 * E * I

I changed 2.5 GPa to MPa in my outline of the data, labelling it as 2500 MPa, But stupid me only said 2.5x10^6 (MPa) instead of 2.5x10^8 (GPa) in the working.

That gives a deflection now of 6.1cm, much more reasonable.

OK, cool. (And I was wrong about your #3 equation being wrong; I was thinking that the distributed load was in N/m, but it wasn't.)

1. What is "homework creep"?

"Homework creep" refers to the phenomenon of students receiving more and more homework over time, resulting in an increase in workload and stress levels. It can also refer to the practice of continuously adding small tasks and assignments to the workload, causing it to gradually increase without the student realizing.

2. How is "homework creep" calculated?

"Homework creep" is typically calculated by measuring the amount of homework assigned on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis and comparing it to the student's available time and workload capacity. This can be done through tracking the time spent on homework, keeping a record of assignments, or using a homework planner or app.

3. What are the effects of "homework creep" on students?

The effects of "homework creep" on students can include increased stress and anxiety, lack of sleep, reduced leisure time, and decreased academic performance. It can also lead to feelings of burnout and a negative attitude towards learning and education.

4. How can "homework creep" be managed?

To manage "homework creep," it is important for students to prioritize their assignments and workload, communicate with their teachers about their workload, and practice good time management skills. It is also important for teachers to consider the amount and difficulty of homework they assign and make adjustments if necessary.

5. Is "homework creep" a common issue?

Yes, "homework creep" is a common issue for students in many countries. Studies have shown that the amount of homework assigned to students has increased over the years, leading to concerns about its impact on students' well-being and academic performance.