Collision between Oldsmobile and Truck: Velocity and Heading Calculation

• Thread starter Jameson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving the conservation of momentum. A car and truck collide on an icy intersection and the velocity of the wreckage is calculated by applying the principle of conservation of momentum twice, once on the x-resolute and once on the y-resolute. The angles used in the calculations are corrected to be 0 and 90 before the collision.
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
Homework due tomorrow!

A 2082 kg Oldsmobile traveling east on Saginaw Street at 14.3 m/s is unable to stop on the ice covered intersection for a red light at Abbott Road. The car collides with a 4070 kg truck hauling animal feed north on Abbott at 10.8 m/s. The two vehicles remain locked together after the impact. Calculate the velocity of the wreckage immediately after the impact. Give the speed for your first answer and the compass heading for your second answer. (remember, the CAPA abbreviation for degrees is deg)

I know I've already posted and I'm sorry, but I need someone to help me not so vaguely. I know about the conservation of momentum! Something just isn't adding up.

(2082*14.3)^2 + (4070*10.8)^ = 8.63

angle = 55.9

HELP ME

Physics news on Phys.org
Apply the principle of conservation of momentum twice, once on the x-resolute and once on the y-resolute.

[tex]m_1v_1\cos\theta+m_2v_2\cos\dot{\theta}=(m_1+m_2)v\cos\ddot{\theta}[/tex]

[tex]m_1v_1\sin\theta+m_2v_2\sin\dot{\theta}=(m_1+m_2)v\sin\ddot{\theta}[/tex]

Where [itex]\theta=45[/itex] and [itex]\dot{\theta}=0[/itex].

daster said:
Apply the principle of conservation of momentum twice, once on the x-resolute and once on the y-resolute.

[tex]m_1v_1\cos\theta+m_2v_2\cos\dot{\theta}=(m_1+m_2)v\cos\ddot{\theta}[/tex]

[tex]m_1v_1\sin\theta+m_2v_2\sin\dot{\theta}=(m_1+m_2)v\sin\ddot{\theta}[/tex]

Where [itex]\theta=45[/itex] and [itex]\dot{\theta}=0[/itex].

Shouldn't the angles be 0 and 90 before collision?

Yes, sorry. 0 and 90, not 45. :smile:

1. What should I do if I forgot about my homework due tomorrow?

If you forgot about your homework due tomorrow, the first thing you should do is remain calm and assess the situation. Look at your assignment and see how much time it will take you to complete. Prioritize your assignments and start with the most important ones first. You may also want to reach out to your teacher or a classmate for any materials or clarification you may have missed.

2. Can I still get a good grade if I turn in my homework late?

It depends on your teacher's policies and the weight of the assignment. Some teachers may accept late work with a penalty, while others may not accept it at all. It is important to communicate with your teacher and discuss any extenuating circumstances that may have caused the delay in submitting your homework.

3. How can I manage my time better to avoid late homework submissions?

To manage your time better, it is important to prioritize your tasks and create a schedule or to-do list. Set aside time for studying and completing assignments, and stick to it. Avoid procrastination and start working on assignments as soon as they are assigned. Additionally, make sure to take breaks and get enough rest to prevent burnout.

4. What should I do if I don't understand the homework due tomorrow?

If you don't understand the homework due tomorrow, reach out to your teacher for clarification. You can also ask a classmate for help, or utilize online resources such as tutorial videos or study guides. It is important to not wait until the last minute to seek help, as it may take some time to fully understand the material.

5. Is it okay to ask for an extension on my homework due tomorrow?

It is always best to communicate with your teacher about any extenuating circumstances that may affect your ability to submit your homework on time. Depending on the teacher's policies and the reason for the extension, they may grant it or provide an alternative solution. However, it is important to always try your best to submit assignments on time to avoid falling behind in your class.