Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Grades:K-12

1. Sep 12, 2005 #1
    Whould you like to see this part "Homework Grades:K-12" of the forum removed, why or why not ?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2005 #2
    Absolutely not.

4. Sep 12, 2005 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course not!! There are a lot of young people coming here for help. I think it's a great forum!

5. Sep 12, 2005 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps you misread that forum title ? It reads "Homework: Grade K-12", not "Homework Grades:K-12".

It is not a place where K-12 students post their "homework grades".

Last edited: Sep 12, 2005
  6. Sep 12, 2005 #5

JamesU

Gold Member

What would be your reason? It's a great forum, You can get quite a bit of help.

Maybe k-12 seems kind of young. how about <12 :biggrin:

7. Sep 12, 2005 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I don't see a point to this thread.

8. Sep 12, 2005 #7

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, usually a Forum gets axed for lack of traffic, but at 6221 threads HW K-12 ranks 4th at PF.

9. Sep 12, 2005 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Granted, we don't have many kindergarteners coming here for homework help :biggrin:, but why would you even ask such a question when clearly there are a LOT of students getting help there, and the homework help is such an important part of what we do here. :confused: How many places can a junior high or high school student get help from college professors and graduate students?

One thought though...I've noticed folks who are not familiar with the US educational system get confused by the distinction between "K-12" and "college." I'm not sure if there are more universal terms to include in the description, such as "secondary school" or "university" or some such thing.

10. Sep 12, 2005 #9

JamesU

Gold Member

I knwo that it does confuse some people. maybe it could be élementary and high school' and 'college'

sorry about the é, dead keys is on

11. Sep 12, 2005 #10

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, and since the minimum allowable age at PF is 13, he would have to be one stupid kindergartener! :rofl:

12. Sep 12, 2005 #11
    Without parents consent. So there could be some kindergardeners here. :tongue2:

13. Sep 12, 2005 #12

JamesU

Gold Member

I joined PF at 12 withou---I mean....with parental consent :redface: :uhh:

14. Sep 13, 2005 #13
    There kids in high school already taking advance math and science courses so thats where im comming from, high school algebra II for exa is pretty much the same as college algebra, concepts such as factoring a cubic polynomial doesn't change. Same with high school physics courses, problems simillar can be found in college text books.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2005
  15. Sep 13, 2005 #14

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, so you were talking about a merger. It is a bit funny that some high school questions are more advanced than some college questions. We used to have just one Homework Help Forum. I really don't know why it was split....

16. Sep 13, 2005 #15

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

16k threads, maybe?

17. Sep 13, 2005 #16

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We split them prior to PF's membership explosion of last year. The split did work out for the best though, because with only 1 HW forum a new thread might only stay on the front page for a matter of minutes, instead of hours!

18. Sep 13, 2005 #17

Lisa!

Gold Member

If I was a teacher, I would get angry because of these kind of forums and ask you to remove this part! Just imagine your students do their homework better than you!:grumpy:

19. Sep 13, 2005 #18

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If my students were doing their homework better than me, I'd remove myself from my job and think about a different career.

20. Sep 13, 2005 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Agreed! The best part here is that they don't just get handed answers, so it promotes learning, not cheating.

Oh, I see what you're asking. Well, it's not that big of a deal. As Tom pointed out, it just helps control traffic a bit. However, some of the difference is the level of the student and their approach to learning, as well as how far in depth you can go with an answer, even if the initial topic/problem is similar. We know there's some overlap between senior level high school classes and introductory level college classes. I think it also keeps the junior high and high school students from panicking when they see questions that are way over their heads and don't know if that's something they should know yet. At the college level, you are more aware of how much is out there that you still have to learn and it's not so overwhelming as it is to a high school student who is worried if they know enough to get into college.

21. Sep 13, 2005 #20

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Unless they post them in the brainteaser forum... :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?