K-12 Homework Grades - Removal:Why or Why Not?

• Thread starter Victor Frankenstein
  • Start date
In summary: and more capable of dealing with it.I joined PF at 12 withou---I mean...with parental consent :redface: :uhh:There kids in high school already taking advance math and science courses so that's where I am comming from, high school algebra II for exa is pretty much the same as college algebra, concepts such as factoring a cubic polynomial doesn't change. Same with high school physics courses, problems simillar can be found in college textbooks.Oh, I see what you're asking. Well, it's not that big of a deal. As Tom pointed out, it just helps control traffic a bit. However, some of the difference
Victor Frankenstein
Whould you like to see this part "Homework Grades:K-12" of the forum removed, why or why not ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Absolutely not.

Of course not! There are a lot of young people coming here for help. I think it's a great forum!

Victor Frankenstein said:
Whould you like to see this part "Homework Grades:K-12" of the forum removed, why or why not ?
Perhaps you misread that forum title ? It reads "Homework: Grade K-12", not "Homework Grades:K-12".

It is not a place where K-12 students post their "homework grades".

Last edited:
What would be your reason? It's a great forum, You can get quite a bit of help.

Maybe k-12 seems kind of young. how about <12 :biggrin:

I don't see a point to this thread.

Yeah, usually a Forum gets axed for lack of traffic, but at 6221 threads HW K-12 ranks 4th at PF.

Granted, we don't have many kindergarteners coming here for homework help :biggrin:, but why would you even ask such a question when clearly there are a LOT of students getting help there, and the homework help is such an important part of what we do here. :confused: How many places can a junior high or high school student get help from college professors and graduate students?

One thought though...I've noticed folks who are not familiar with the US educational system get confused by the distinction between "K-12" and "college." I'm not sure if there are more universal terms to include in the description, such as "secondary school" or "university" or some such thing.

I knwo that it does confuse some people. maybe it could be élementary and high school' and 'college'

sorry about the é, dead keys is on

Moonbear said:
Granted, we don't have many kindergarteners coming here for homework help :biggrin:,

Yeah, and since the minimum allowable age at PF is 13, he would have to be one stupid kindergartener! :rofl:

Tom Mattson said:
Yeah, and since the minimum allowable age at PF is 13, he would have to be one stupid kindergartener! :rofl:

Without parents consent. So there could be some kindergardeners here. :tongue2:

I joined PF at 12 withou---I mean...with parental consent :redface: :uhh:

There kids in high school already taking advance math and science courses so that's where I am comming from, high school algebra II for exa is pretty much the same as college algebra, concepts such as factoring a cubic polynomial doesn't change. Same with high school physics courses, problems simillar can be found in college textbooks.

Last edited:
Oh, so you were talking about a merger. It is a bit funny that some high school questions are more advanced than some college questions. We used to have just one Homework Help Forum. I really don't know why it was split...

16k threads, maybe?

We split them prior to PF's membership explosion of last year. The split did work out for the best though, because with only 1 HW forum a new thread might only stay on the front page for a matter of minutes, instead of hours!

If I was a teacher, I would get angry because of these kind of forums and ask you to remove this part! Just imagine your students do their homework better than you!:grumpy:

Lisa! said:
If I was a teacher, I would get angry because of these kind of forums and ask you to remove this part! Just imagine your students do their homework better than you!:grumpy:
If my students were doing their homework better than me, I'd remove myself from my job and think about a different career.

Gokul43201 said:
If my students were doing their homework better than me, I'd remove myself from my job and think about a different career.
Agreed! The best part here is that they don't just get handed answers, so it promotes learning, not cheating.

Victor Frankenstein said:
There kids in high school already taking advance math and science courses so that's where I am comming from, high school algebra II for exa is pretty much the same as college algebra, concepts such as factoring a cubic polynomial doesn't change. Same with high school physics courses, problems simillar can be found in college textbooks.

Oh, I see what you're asking. Well, it's not that big of a deal. As Tom pointed out, it just helps control traffic a bit. However, some of the difference is the level of the student and their approach to learning, as well as how far in depth you can go with an answer, even if the initial topic/problem is similar. We know there's some overlap between senior level high school classes and introductory level college classes. I think it also keeps the junior high and high school students from panicking when they see questions that are way over their heads and don't know if that's something they should know yet. At the college level, you are more aware of how much is out there that you still have to learn and it's not so overwhelming as it is to a high school student who is worried if they know enough to get into college.

Moonbear said:
Agreed! The best part here is that they don't just get handed answers, so it promotes learning, not cheating.

Unless they post them in the brainteaser forum... :rolleyes:

matthyaouw said:
Unless they post them in the brainteaser forum... :rolleyes:
It's usually pretty obvious when they do that. You can report those posts if you think they're posting homework in brainteasers.

Gokul43201 said:
It's not strange if sometimes students could find better solution to a problem especially if they get help from a scientist.( And we shouldn't expect a teacher to be more knowledgeable than a scientist.) That's why I think students could do their homework better than their teacher. So if a teacher would be clever enough, s/he can come here and learn more.
The nice thing about the homework part is that most of time people help you step by step to get the answer by yourself and don't give you just the answer.

1. Why are some people in favor of removing K-12 homework grades?

Some people believe that removing homework grades would alleviate the pressure and stress on students, allowing them to focus on learning rather than achieving a specific grade. It would also give students more time for extracurricular activities or other interests, promoting a more well-rounded education.

2. Why are some people opposed to removing K-12 homework grades?

Opponents argue that homework grades are an important measure of a student's understanding and effort. Removing them could lead to a decrease in motivation and accountability for completing assignments. It could also make it harder for teachers to track a student's progress and identify areas for improvement.

3. Would removing K-12 homework grades affect college admissions?

This is a debated topic. Some believe that colleges would still have other measures, such as test scores and class grades, to evaluate a student's academic performance. However, others argue that homework grades could provide valuable insight into a student's work ethic and time management skills.

4. How would removing homework grades affect teachers?

Teachers may have to find alternative ways to assess a student's understanding and progress, such as through class participation or projects. It could also require a shift in teaching strategies and classroom management. Some teachers may be in favor of removing homework grades as it could decrease their workload, while others may see it as a valuable tool for evaluating student performance.

5. Is there any research supporting the removal of K-12 homework grades?

There have been studies that suggest that homework may not have a significant impact on student achievement, leading some to question the usefulness of homework grades. However, there is also research that supports the importance of homework in reinforcing learning and preparing students for future academic success. Ultimately, the effectiveness of removing homework grades may vary depending on the individual student and their learning style.