Solving 615-kg Racing Car Homework Part 1

• Thread starter ilkjester
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, a 615-kg racing car completes one lap in 14.3 s around a circular track with a radius of 50.0 m at a constant speed. The acceleration of the car is 4 m/s towards the center of the track. The force exerted by the track on the tires to produce this acceleration is approximately 5936.53 N. The coefficient of friction cannot be determined without additional information, but it is known that friction is acting on the car.
ilkjester

Homework Statement

1) A 615-kg racing car completes one lap in 14.3 s around a circular track with a radius of 50.0 m.
The car moves at constant speed.
a) what is the acceleration of the car?
b) what force must the track exert of the tires to produce this acceleration.

Homework Equations

Ac=v^2/r
Fnet=mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

ac=14.3^2/50.0
ac=4m/s

Now I am sure I did the equations right but the teacher wanted to know the direction of the acceleration I believe. Because some other kids asked him if there was any acceleration at all because it wasn't slowing down or speeding up.

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't do the calculation right. 14.3 is the time for one lap. It isn't v... What is the distance traveled in 1 lap... divide that distance by 14.3... that gives your v.

The direction of acceleration is towards the center of the circular track... whenever an object is moving at a fixed speed in a circular path, the acceleration is towards the center at any time...

learningphysics said:
You didn't do the calculation right. 14.3 is the time for one lap. It isn't v... What is the distance traveled in 1 lap... divide that distance by 14.3... that gives your v.

The direction of acceleration is towards the center of the circular track... whenever an object is moving at a fixed speed in a circular path, the acceleration is towards the center at any time...

Ok I was thinking before that I could be wrong. So what I did was draw a circle and labeled the radius 50.0 m I was then going to try to find the length of an arc of the circle but I can't remember how.

ilkjester said:
Ok I was thinking before that I could be wrong. So what I did was draw a circle and labeled the radius 50.0 m I was then going to try to find the length of an arc of the circle but I can't remember how.

circumference of a circle = [tex]2\pi r[/tex]. so that would be the distance of 1 lap.

learningphysics said:
circumference of a circle = [tex]2\pi r[/tex]. so that would be the distance of 1 lap.

lol i just did that your way after finding the length of the track and its the same.
[tex]2\pi r[/tex]=314/14.3=22

yeah, that's right. might want to keep a few extra decimal places and just round at the end... I get v = 21.969m/s

then you can get a = v^2/r using that.

learningphysics said:
yeah, that's right. might want to keep a few extra decimal places and just round at the end... I get v = 21.969m/s

then you can get a = v^2/r using that.

Thanks for the help I had a feeling I was doing something wrong.

ilkjester said:
Thanks for the help I had a feeling I was doing something wrong.

no prob.

for this i used the fnet=mac
fnet=615kg(9.65)
fnet=5934.75
after i told the other class mates that were saying there was no acceleration at all how you do the problem and that there was indeed an acceleration they asked me what the coefficient of friction was. I don't know if i was suppose to find that because i think the way i found the force was right.

ilkjester said:
for this i used the fnet=mac
fnet=615kg(9.65)
fnet=5934.75
after i told the other class mates that were saying there was no acceleration at all how you do the problem and that there was indeed an acceleration they asked me what the coefficient of friction was. I don't know if i was suppose to find that because i think the way i found the force was right.

your force looks right to me. but I get 5936.53 after carrying the dec. places...

There is definitely an acceleration. Otherwise the car would go in a straight line... if an object changes directions... that means it accelerates... velocity is speed with a direction... even if speed remains constant... if the direction changes, then the velocity changes... so accleeration happens.

We can't get the coefficient of friction without some extra piece of information... but it isn't asked... but friction is acting, that's for sure.

Last edited:
learningphysics said:
There is definitely an acceleration. Otherwise the car would go in a straight line... if an object changes directions... that means it accelerates... velocity is speed with a direction... even if speed remains constant... if the direction changes, then the velocity changes... so accleeration happens.

We can't get the coefficient of friction without some extra piece of information... but it isn't asked... but friction is acting, that's for sure.

thats what i told them except for the straight line thing. So the way i found force was right. Thats how i told them to do it. I am not sure why they thought they had to find to friction. You have been the biggest help ever by the way.

ilkjester said:
thats what i told them except for the straight line thing. So the way i found force was right. Thats how i told them to do it. I am not sure why they thought they had to find to friction. You have been the biggest help ever by the way.

you're welcome. glad to help. :)

1. How do I approach solving the 615-kg Racing Car Homework Part 1?

The first step in solving this problem is to gather all necessary information, such as the weight of the car and any given equations or formulas. Then, determine what is being asked in the problem and make a plan for how to solve it. This could involve using equations, drawing diagrams, or breaking the problem into smaller parts.

2. What are the key concepts or principles needed to solve the 615-kg Racing Car Homework Part 1?

Some key concepts that may be helpful in solving this problem include Newton's Laws of Motion, work and energy, and power. It may also be useful to have a basic understanding of vector components and how to calculate them.

3. Can you provide an example of how to solve the 615-kg Racing Car Homework Part 1?

Sure! Let's say the problem asks you to calculate the speed of the racing car after it has traveled a certain distance. First, you would use the given information about the car's weight and the equations for work and energy to determine the car's initial energy. Then, you would use the equation for kinetic energy to solve for the car's final velocity.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving the 615-kg Racing Car Homework Part 1?

One common mistake is forgetting to convert units properly. Make sure all units are consistent and convert them if necessary. Another mistake is not paying attention to the direction of vectors, which can lead to incorrect calculations.

5. What resources can I use to help me solve the 615-kg Racing Car Homework Part 1?

There are many resources available to help with solving this problem, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups. You can also consult with your instructor or a tutor for guidance and clarification. Additionally, using practice problems or working through similar examples can help improve your problem-solving skills.