1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HOmework Help Please!: Addition of Vectors by Means of Components!

1. Sep 11, 2008 #1
    1. A grasshopper makes four jumps. THe siplacement vectors are (1) 27 cm, due west; (2) 23 cm, 35 degrees south of west; (3) 28 cm, 55 degrees south of east; and (4) 35 cm, 63 degrees north of east. Find the magnitude and direction of the resultant displacement. Express the direction with respect to due west

2. Relevant equations
    I'm a litle confused with almost everything. I know how to draw the picture though.

3. The attempt at a solution
    A= 27 cm
    Angle A=180
    B=23 cm
    Angle B= 35 degres
    C= 28 cm
    Angle C= 55 degrees
    D= 35 cm
    Angle D= 63

= -116.6 cm
    = -20.8
    Cx= -.67 cm
    =34.5 cm

= -21.63
    By= -9.8 cm
    Cy= -27.9 cm
    Dy= 5.9 cm

Rx= ax + bx + cx + dx
    =Rx= -2.23

Ry= ay+ by + cy + dy
    Ry= -53.43 cm

R^2= rx^2 + ry^2
    = 53. 48 cm

Angle R= ry/rx
    =181.53 degres.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Hi oreocookie,

I believe your calculator is set to radians instead of degrees. Try them again (being careful with the signs and the decimal points) and see what you get.
  4. Sep 11, 2008 #3
    Your method is correct, but if the numbers are wrong, your calculator could indeed be set on the wrong setting. Make sure it is set to "Degrees" and NOT "Radians."

On a TI-83, this can be done by punching the "MODE" button and then selecting "Degrees."
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?