1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework help please! Friction

1. Feb 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

to move a large crate across a rough floor you push it with a force of 21 degrees below the horizontal of F. find the necessary force to move the 32 kg crate with a coefficient of static friction of floor and crate is 0.56?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2010 #2
    please show your attempt to solve the question .. Then we will help ..

4. Feb 10, 2010 #3
    Well, I went ahead and made a picture representing what I needed and what not. I than set the x and y directions to try to make equations to solve for the variables.

So, in the x direction, I had -(mu sub k) + Fcos21= ma
    For the y direction I set an equation -mg+N-Fsin21=0

I wrote fk =mu sub k*N on the side for reference. I was stuck because I figured I have to find force first right?

5. Feb 11, 2010 #4
    have you drawn a free body diagram carefully?

In the x-direction the friction force is not(mu sub k) this is not a force?, and another thing you are not given (mu sub k) you are given (mu sub s) dont you think you should use it?

I suggest you to do the free body diagram more carefully this time ..

You know that, Fx(net)=ma and Fy(net)= zero .. You are given the mass m=32kg and (mu sub s) substituting in the equations you will end up with 2 unknowns F (what the question wants) and a (the acceleration) , so do you have to make a certain assumption ? Try to think about it and let us know your answer :) ..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook